• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is the *insert car, engine, tranny* any good?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yeah, if he isn’t a “car guy”, he’s more than likely going to be a “I only had to change the oil” kind of person that only fixes things when they break. Direct him to something as simple as possible and possibly avoid AWD or 4X4 vehicles. More things that need periodic fluid changes that are going to be ignored.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
He wound up getting a CX5. It’s even red!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
He wound up getting a CX5. It’s even red!
Much better choice than a Volvo.

Nobody should ever buy a euro automobile. It's like sleeping with a girl you know absolutely for sure will give you crabs.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I've driven or ridden in several CX5's over the last few months and honestly liked them a lot. Very adequate power and handling. Small enough to fit just about anywhere, big enough to be comfortable in the front or rear. Tons of cargo space. Fuel efficient. Good visibility. If I were in the market, I'd certainly check them out.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
CX5's were rebadged Escapes for a while and I suspect there's still some under the skin. Volvo was a Swedish company that built cars famous for being high maintenance and expensive to fix, now the company is Chinese owned, that doesn't inspire confidence.
Judging a vehicle based on the number of recalls misses the point. A recall is a defect the company identified and is willing(or has been forced by NHTSA) to fix free. The law allows a very short window between identifying a safety concern and recalling the car, Ford used to issue recalls before the fix was available and some customers would panic. The first person killed by a Takata airbag in a Honda was in 2004, they finally issued a recall in the fall of 2014 when NHTSA held their feet to the fire. If GM or Ford had done that the CEO would have been hung in the town square. But the sandal wearing, shoulder bag carrying guys who write for Consumer Reports love them.
If you buy a used vehicle, 50% of what you get is the result of the prior owners maintenance habits. If you buy a new vehicle pick the dealer with good reviews from people you know. I got a terrible survey from a defunct dealer's customer because we were further from where they lived, no complaint with the service or treatment they got.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I think I’ve found a somewhat decent system. Look the vehicle up on Wikipedia to get the engine and transmission model numbers to research. I’m finding that people who write articles that are discoverable with that search have the info I’m looking for.

Example:
I’ve found that the new ‘22 Pathfinder’s ZF 9-speed is not expected to be any good. ZFs apparently have a bad rep (I.e. Chrysler’s legacy).

The Rogue’s Xtronic CVT is most likely a dog. CVT law suits against Nissan reliability start up after a new tranny is out of warranty.

The wife is looking to get out of the Camaro and into an SUV. Unfortunately she dislikes the Korean makes and loves Nissans. Don’t know if I could stomach getting a Nissan tho. She does approve of the CX-5 so that may be the winner yet again. I really wish the CX-9 wasn’t trying to compete with Audi prices. Also wish a 3 year old car with 30k miles depreciated more than 3 grand.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I really wish the CX-9 wasn’t trying to compete with Audi prices. Also wish a 3 year old car with 30k miles depreciated more than 3 grand.
Just went through this with my wife. She really wanted a 4Runner, but also liked the CX-5. The budget placed us with either a used CX-5 or new Subaru Forester. We ended up going with a new Subaru.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Remember...very few people go online to rave about how great something is...everyone goes online to bitch about what a turd something is. Anytime you buy a vehicle (espicially used) youre taking a chance.

Case in point....ive always read basically nothing but good things about the 460...everyone ive had has been a POS (besides the power aspect)....but everyone shits on the old 400...and ive never had a whimper out of any of mine.

I understand these are old as hell now but its still an example of how the internet can be very misleading.

Curious though.....whats he looking at?
Agreed. Everyone talks crap and hates on the 5.4 Triton motor, but I love it. My 2wd F150 has been well maintained, but driven like its stolen...I bought it brand new in '08...130k miles later still rockin. It broke a valve spring once, and the power steering wont stop whining, but I love that motor/tranny/axle combo. Its been a great truck.

My advice, get something that was produced towards the latter years of a generation. My generation F150 was produced from '04 -'08, and the '04's had a lot more bugs...they worked a lot of em out by '08, then made it all new again and started over with the bugs.....

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Just went through this with my wife. She really wanted a 4Runner, but also liked the CX-5. The budget placed us with either a used CX-5 or new Subaru Forester. We ended up going with a new Subaru.
I've heard and read good things about the mazdas...I'm currently half assed car shopping myself.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've heard and read good things about the mazdas...I'm currently half assed car shopping myself.
Every one we talked to that had one loved it. I’m happy with the Subaru though, has reall good all around visibility.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Every one we talked to that had one loved it. I’m happy with the Subaru though, has reall good all around visibility.
We got the CX-5. Seats are a bit on the small side but comfortable. My buddy said the same thing but said they were fine for their first road trip. The infotainment is excellent even though it isn’t touch screen.

This dealer gives a lifetime, non transferable, nationwide, powertrain warranty with new purchases that’s got a good rep in town. Probably more of a headache at other locations. That’s the only reason the Nissan got on the list.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Are you sure the infotainment system isn't touch? The one in my girlfriend's car is, but it does lock it interaction when the car is moving.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Are you sure the infotainment system isn't touch? The one in my girlfriend's car is, but it does lock it interaction when the car is moving.
Some are and some aren’t. There’s a method to which cars get it and which don’t that even the salesmen don’t have memorized. If you’re in the market, definitely don’t assume it’s touch screen if that important to you.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Agreed. Everyone talks crap and hates on the 5.4 Triton motor, but I love it. My 2wd F150 has been well maintained, but driven like its stolen...I bought it brand new in '08...130k miles later still rockin. It broke a valve spring once, and the power steering wont stop whining, but I love that motor/tranny/axle combo. Its been a great truck.

My advice, get something that was produced towards the latter years of a generation. My generation F150 was produced from '04 -'08, and the '04's had a lot more bugs...they worked a lot of em out by '08, then made it all new again and started over with the bugs.....
The 5.4's ive been around/owned personally were all 2V models. But they were rock solid reliabilty wise. My buddy put almost 300k on his 00 before he sold it.

I give them shit cause they replaced the 351 which is in my top 5 favorite engines of all time...but they are good engines.

Never been around the 3V's. I know they got alot more power but ive heard the horror stories.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Dads 05 superduty was a pretty good truck. 5.4 /3V auto, 3.73’s 4x4. was a commercial truck (snowplowing/landscape) so a stripper reg cab longbed. rusty underneath bad though, had to replace bed due to all the supports rotting out. But power wise it was fine, not bad on fuel if you werent towing & kept it easy on the go pedal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals