• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is the *insert car, engine, tranny* any good?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Has anyone found a way to quickly answer this question? I know about the cars the I’ve owned cause I’ve spent hours researching problems and found the good forums. I’m currently helping a bud pick a car, and it’ll take fooorreeevveerrr to answer the titled question for a list of cars using my method. A simple Google generally pulls up worthless articles from sites that pump out puff pieces.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Just Google "What company has the most drivetrain recalls" and narrow it down from that list
FOR EXAMPLE ONLY!!!!!!

Most recalled car in history

Here are the 10 most frequently recalled vehicles since 2013.
  • BMW 3 Series and 4 Series.
  • Dodge Durango. ...
  • Nissan Pathfinder. ...
  • Ram 1500. ...
  • Toyota 4Runner. 2017 Toyota 4Runner | Toyota. ...
  • Dodge Charger. 2017 Dodge Charger R/T | Dodge. ...
  • Chrysler 300. 2016 Chrysler 300C Platinum | Chrysler. ...
  • Chevrolet Tahoe. 2017 Chevy Tahoe | Chevrolet. ...
More items...

Mar 29, 2021
This Is the No. 1 Most Recalled Car in America - MotorBiscuit ...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Just tell your buddy to buy a Ranger?

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
IMHO,excluding recalls, a vehicles “goodness” is a reflection of the PO. Understanding there are lemons out there, but overall a well maintained vehicle will be dependable. I see and know too many who drive them till they cant. You can preach all day about routine and preventative maintenance but it goes in one ear and out the other, as generally there is nothing in the center to catch it. What little brain activity they have is used to satisfy their need for instant gratification. Even the simplest of actions such as fluid changes or tire rotation seems to never be of any concern. Then you get the question “ what’s that noise coming from my car or why are my tires all worn off on the edges.” It seem to me that most just wanna drive it and to Hell with taking care of it. Then blame the manufacturer for it rotting away when they never washed even a bird turd off it.
Just sayin

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
It could be that I’ve been burned with a major, rare issue that I interpret fairly mundane issues as big problems.

check out the GM 8 speed transmission ordeal. They put in a hydroscopic tranny fluid that basically means every vehicle needs a flush then a new torque converter right off the show room floor. We think that’s the fix anyway. Time will tell. No recalls and the law suits are not expected to be successful. Something related to the definition of what’s covered under the implied warranties. The tranny was designed to fail, so it’s behaving perfectly or something along those lines. I was lucky enough to get mine done under powertrain warranty.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I agree with the above... most cars today with even a resemblance of a maintenance history and driven respectfully are pretty good cars.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
It could be that I’ve been burned with a major, rare issue that I interpret fairly mundane issues as big problems.

check out the GM 8 speed transmission ordeal. They put in a hydroscopic tranny fluid that basically means every vehicle needs a flush then a new torque converter right off the show room floor. We think that’s the fix anyway. Time will tell. No recalls and the law suits are not expected to be successful. Something related to the definition of what’s covered under the implied warranties. The tranny was designed to fail, so it’s behaving perfectly or something along those lines. I was lucky enough to get mine done under powertrain warranty.
I do believe manufacturers have been producing disposable vehicles as it impacts there financial gains. Legions of lawyers spouting gobble goop in protection of immoral manufacturing practices keep the general public from receiving satisfactory reparations.
I have a 2012 Super Duty I baby like a new born kitten. All she ever hauls is my skinny butt. All maintenance done timely. Never driven in winter as the salt would eat her up. Washed and waxed even if she doesn’t need it. Still under 115000 miles but my transmission pump is starting to whine. Searching finds is a common issue. It should last for 300 to 400 thousand miles. Seems a design flaw or poor manufacturing standard.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Remember...very few people go online to rave about how great something is...everyone goes online to bitch about what a turd something is. Anytime you buy a vehicle (espicially used) youre taking a chance.

Case in point....ive always read basically nothing but good things about the 460...everyone ive had has been a POS (besides the power aspect)....but everyone shits on the old 400...and ive never had a whimper out of any of mine.

I understand these are old as hell now but its still an example of how the internet can be very misleading.

Curious though.....whats he looking at?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Mazda CX30, CX5
Hyundai Palisade, Tucson
Volvo XC40, XC90

He’s not a car guy and I think this list was put together with strictly pictures and safety ratings. There’s quite a bit of a size range here so this probably isn’t the short list.

I’ve read a bit about the palisade. Supposed to be a solid and proven drivetrain, even though is vvt and gdi and all that… but at least it’s n/a. I believe Mazda sticks with older, proven stuff. Their hp and mpg numbers are a bit behind everyone else… that’s how Ive justified that. Volvo I automatically dislike cause they’re EuRoPeAn.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Mazda CX30, CX5
Hyundai Palisade, Tucson
Volvo XC40, XC90

He’s not a car guy and I think this list was put together with strictly pictures and safety ratings. There’s quite a bit of a size range here so this probably isn’t the short list.

I’ve read a bit about the palisade. Supposed to be a solid and proven drivetrain, even though is vvt and gdi and all that… but at least it’s n/a. I believe Mazda sticks with older, proven stuff. Their hp and mpg numbers are a bit behind everyone else… that’s how Ive justified that. Volvo I automatically dislike cause they’re EuRoPeAn.
I dont know enough about any of those to give an answer so ill give you my default answer for when someone asks about a reliable car to buy....

Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town car.
:LOL:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Mazda is a great choice. See a fair number at work, but they are all lease returns or beat to hell and back and 10+ years old (not many like that th, most are lease vehicles). Honda is the same way. Ford and Hyundai a little less so. GM, Dodge/Chrysler and a couple others are at the bottom of the list. Everything else is in between.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I dont know enough about any of those to give an answer so ill give you my default answer for when someone asks about a reliable car to buy....

Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town car.
:LOL:
Lol that was battling for the top spot before I got my ranger!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Lol that was battling for the top spot before I got my ranger!
My next DD is going to be one more then likely. Big, comfy, reliable, decent on fuel, easy to fix....and can tow my quad lol

....and if i feel froggy alot of mustang GT performance stuff interchanges

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
If he wants more tech for less money, Hyundai Sant Fe ALL DAY. It slots between the Tucson and Palisade and my wife drives one. a 2019 Santa Fe Se with convenience and tow packages. Just over 38,000 miles on it since Oct, 2018 and no problems to write about. and about $10k less than the average competition ( equally equipped )

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First find out what kind of car or truck he wants/needs, i.e. passenger numbers, 2wd or AWD, your in Florida, so does he need AWD?

Is he a commuter, so MPG is a must, is Hybrid an option, or full electric?

99% of People buy based visual attractiveness so you NEED that from him, what does he "like" the look of: car, SUV, truck

Then as a "car guy" you can look at the mechanics of what he "likes"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals