• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is Temp. Too Low? And Tranny Fluid Change

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1998 Ranger 2.5, 86k
Noticed that after 30 minutes of driving temp gauge is at level in pic, falls a hair or two just below that at a stop light. Temp outside is 80F. Coolant level is aok but I do add a little bit after say 2 months. Never been able to figure out why the loss occurs. Trany fluid and engine oil are aok, not frothy or coolant contaminated. Can't think of anything else regarding that. Is this an indication of a concern or am I just splitting hairs?

Second Q? I would like to assume tranny fluid was never changed before I acquired the truck or if lucky may be at 30k miles but I am not counting on that. In which case I think I should drain so much quarts and refill, and repeat at plus 30k. I certainly don't want to take it in for a flush or full drain. I am thinking a partial change would be preferable at this mileage. What do you guys think?

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Get yourself an OBD2 scanner that reads+displays data while driving; click here for info on the scanners I use.
Cluster gage is not precise\accurate; it tells you if engine is cold, warmed up, or overheating, but not much else.

If Tranny Filter has never been changed, probably should do so.
I hand pump ~1qt of old ATF & refresh at the Tranny DipStickTube every 6months with Engine Oil+Filter changes;
then do Pan drop, Filter change & 5~7qt ATF refresh every 33k Miles, roughly every 4~5years with current driving habits.
Don't do any commercial shop Tranny flush or cleaning.

Last edited:

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Get yourself an OBD2 scanner that reads+displays data while driving; click here for info on the scanners I use.
Link to scanners is not working. What's the model, I can search for it and compare with Autel All Systems Scanner or this one here. I've been delaying buying a good scanner and I think it's time. So any link to comp would be great before I decide on which one.

And definitely not doing commercial flush.

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If Tranny Filter has never been changed, probably should do so.
I hand pump ~1qt of old ATF & refresh at the Tranny DipStickTube every 6months with Engine Oil+Filter changes;
then do Pan drop, Filter change & 5~7qt ATF refresh every 33k Miles, roughly every 4~5years with current driving habits.
Found this thread here, seems similar to my situation. Something about Tstat failing. How can you tell or diagnose a Tstat issue?

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Huh, link works for me from here both on AndroidPhon browser & on PC browser?
https://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Electrical_OnBoardDiagnosisPort
Anyway, I've got the OBDLink# MX+ that works via BlueTooth to my AndroidPhone
& the OBDLink# EX that works via USBCable to my WindowsLapTop; google those models.
These work for me; certainly there are cheaper\lesser & much more expensive options for ODB2 scanners.

Yep, ThermoStats typically, not always, fail in the open position.
For example., during a previous drive, engine was fully warmed up & ThermoStat was full open, meaning full flow thru radiator.
And during that previous drive the ThermoStat became mechanically stuck in the full open position.
So instead of closing the radiator loop after that drive as the engine cooled down, it stayed open.
So during your next cold morning start, the engine starts cold with full flow thru radiator,
& it never fully warms up to ~190f normal operating temp, but stays cold & you don't get adequate cab heat either.
Above is a common scenario\result of a ThermoStat that has failed open.
Living in a hot climate like TX, you may never notice the stuck thermostat, because you never need cab heat,
but MPGs will suffer because engine controls never go into closed loop & fuel/air ratio runs rich.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals