• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is swapping out the engine on this truck pretty straight forward nuts and bolts process?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Basic engine hoist folded up.
20211130_133458.jpg

Basic engine hoist ready to work
20211129_135739.jpg

Low profile engine hoist meant for lowered or vehicles without much room under the bumper. The legs and boom extend.
20211128_171220.jpg

Foldable engine stand
20211128_191340.jpg

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I personally like a overhead hoist over a cherry picker. Can't really go straight up or down with a cherry picker, and they are a pita to move around if you are not working on a super smooth concrete. downside of the chain fall hoist is that you have to push the car out from under the engine as you pull it out, and you need something overhead to hand it from.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
No engine swap is straight forward. Unless you swap engines for a living every day, it will take you more than one day. Much more. I do admire your high hopes, sorry to burst your bubble.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I personally like a overhead hoist over a cherry picker. Can't really go straight up or down with a cherry picker, and they are a pita to move around if you are not working on a super smooth concrete. downside of the chain fall hoist is that you have to push the car out from under the engine as you pull it out, and you need something overhead to hand it from.

View attachment 69661View attachment 69662
Forklift is the best way ive seen. Unfourtantly thats not always feasable

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
I've done a 3.0 to 3.0 swap on my truck. It took me around three days to get the old block out, prep the new block then sit it back in the engine bay on mounts. It then took another few on and off days to get the exhaust and transmission reconnected, set the timing, get the hood back on, etc. If you are comfortable spinning a wrench and are willing to do research it's not bad. You will need a way to to move the blocks(I used my kubota tractor and a logging chain), an engine stand and some kind of workbench. I had to do a little extra work as the longblock I bought was a used one that probably came from a Taurus. This meant I had to swap heads and some other things to have the block setup for use in a B-Series.

As for going from a 3.0 to a 302... I'm in the process of preparing for this myself. Depending on the year/model of the donor and the year of the recepient will dictate how much effort is involved and how much custom work you will have to do to make it work. There are parts/kits out there for certain combinations and plenty of information but you'll have to chase it down. It helps greatly if you have a full donor vehicle versus having to grab/buy parts.

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
I've done a 3.0 to 3.0 swap on my truck. It took me around three days to get the old block out, prep the new block then sit it back in the engine bay on mounts. It then took another few on and off days to get the exhaust and transmission reconnected, set the timing, get the hood back on, etc. If you are comfortable spinning a wrench and are willing to do research it's not bad. You will need a way to to move the blocks(I used my kubota tractor and a logging chain), an engine stand and some kind of workbench. I had to do a little extra work as the longblock I bought was a used one that probably came from a Taurus. This meant I had to swap heads and some other things to have the block setup for use in a B-Series.

As for going from a 3.0 to a 302... I'm in the process of preparing for this myself. Depending on the year/model of the donor and the year of the recepient will dictate how much effort is involved and how much custom work you will have to do to make it work. There are parts/kits out there for certain combinations and plenty of information but you'll have to chase it down. It helps greatly if you have a full donor vehicle versus having to grab/buy parts.
I think I'm just going to do a straight 3.0 to 3.0 swap. Unless of course the 4.0 is a viable option. But I imagine it's probably a different tyranny and heads too right? Nah, make life easier and do 3.0 to 3.0

How did you know a taurus block would fit? What kind of modifications did you need to get it to fit? Same size engine?

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...

Yeah, that is my challenge as my driveway is on a decline then incline and I have no way to push it into my garage. And where it will settle will be right over where the incline and decline meet to stand level but pavement where the hoist will be won't be perfectly level and I'll have to push/pull it into the garage to love the old engine.

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
No engine swap is straight forward. Unless you swap engines for a living every day, it will take you more than one day. Much more. I do admire your high hopes, sorry to burst your bubble.
No I know it takes work. I've replaced a clutch and cylinder head, timing belt, all other parts around the engine block itself so that much I have experience with as far as nuts and bolts but yeah, this will be the whole shebang. And I'll definitely be more organized with my parts and more clean through the process than I have been in the past making jobs much harder than they needed to be.

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...

Oh I see now. Taurus uses same engine. Why did you have to swap heads? Only ones from mazda/Ranger fit under the hood or...

And a "302", that's quite an upgrade. So that's complete long block and tranny right? How will it fit in the engine bay? What kind of mods needed? They make adapters or something?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
No I know it takes work. I've replaced a clutch and cylinder head, timing belt, all other parts around the engine block itself so that much I have experience with as far as nuts and bolts but yeah, this will be the whole shebang. And I'll definitely be more organized with my parts and more clean through the process than I have been in the past making jobs much harder than they needed to be.
same here, which is why I take lots of pics and use ziplock bags. I even get the good ones that have the label, so I wont forget to mark it. Also you will probably need to visit a machine shop if you plan on using the same block.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Oh I see now. Taurus uses same engine. Why did you have to swap heads? Only ones from mazda/Ranger fit under the hood or...

And a "302", that's quite an upgrade. So that's complete long block and tranny right? How will it fit in the engine bay? What kind of mods needed? They make adapters or something?
The Taurus and Ranger/B-Series have opposite coolant flow direction in the cylinder heads. Thus, Taurus heads don't work on Rangers and the reverse is also true. There were also some differences in the oil pan, the shape of the oil pickup tube, harmonic balancer, etc. The main thing is that a Vulcan 3.0L in a Taurus is made to sit transverse, or sideways in the engine bay with respect to the front and back of the vehicle. Our trucks that have the Vulcan 3.0L have it sit longitudinally, or in line with the front and back of vehicle. Due to the differences in placement some stuff has to be swapped to convert the block from one setup to the other.

As for the 302 swap I'm preparing for, I did manage to buy a longblock that was almost fully dressed, meaning it has the harness and all accessories, brackets, bolts, etc. It also came with an automatic trans but I want to pair it with a M5R2 manual from a F-150 so I didn't purchase the trans, only the engine. As to what modifications that are needed that is largely going to depend on what you are coming from and where you are going. My swap will be on the more challenging side because I want to maintain EFI and there's 6 years of difference between the donor vehicle (2000 Explorer) and the recipient (1994 B3000). One of the biggest challenges is that my truck was the final year for OBD1 while the donor is OBD2. This means you have to use the donor ECU and harness. The donor ECU was designed to seat around the center of the SUV at the top of the firewall, while the ECU in my truck sites near the driver fender on the firewall. This means the harness needs to be extended to reach. Lots of issues like this. I have a build thread in the V8 Swap section of the forum if you want to follow the progress(or lack thereof) that I've made to date.

Depending on which model years are involved there are full conversion kits available that will take care of about 90% of the issues you'll run into. The nicer the kit, the more spendy it is. There is a TON of information floating around on the interwebs, much of it on these forum boards on how to do a V8 swap. I cannot stress enough that there are tons of combinations of donor and recepeient so you'll have to do your homework for the things that apply to your particular use case.

Ede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger

What do you have that chain hoist connected to?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What do you have that chain hoist connected to?

There is a 4x4 running across the joists to spread the load, I have a lifting strap wrapped around the 4x4 and the hoists hook goes on the strap.

I also put up a couple of 2x4 in the middle of the garage to support the ceiling because the joists do not go all the way across, they are stapled in the middle.

Reactions: Ede

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals