• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is my 4wd synchronized with my transmission?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford f150
Transmission
Manual
So yesterday I took my 78 f150 for a test drive after getting a few bugs fixed, and when I came around a corner, I hit a big area of ice, and went slipping and sliding sideways up the road. It crossed my mind to put in 4wd while I was sliding, but I didn't want to because I was always told that the truck had to be stopped and in neutral. Is that truth or myth?

Slug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Assuming you have to manually floor-shift the transfer case into 4WD, and that you have manually-locking hubs, it may not even engage in 4HI unless you are at slow speed and in neutral with the hubs already turned to the LOCK position. I don't believe it will engage 4LO unless you are at a standstill. Shift on-the-fly is, I think, a later option (?)

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
used to have a '77 F150 with the manual transfer case and lockout hubs.
both axles must be at the same speed, that means not while spinning or turning or braking.
when moving I would reduce throttle enough to take stress off the drive train then engage 4WD HI.
I won't admit to what speeds I actually shifted into & out of 4WD, but it was way above what the owners manual recommended.

4 lo does need a complete stop, or at least good ear protection and a supply of replacement parts. :icon_rofl:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Assuming you have to manually floor-shift the transfer case into 4WD, and that you have manually-locking hubs, it may not even engage in 4HI unless you are at slow speed and in neutral with the hubs already turned to the LOCK position. I don't believe it will engage 4LO unless you are at a standstill. Shift on-the-fly is, I think, a later option (?)

the np205 will shift into whatever mode the shift lever tells it to do. if those hubs aren't locked it's gonna be crunch time.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
As last long as the hubs are locked and your not spinning the hell out of the tires going in and out of 4 high is not an issue.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford f150
Transmission
Manual
So yeah I do have manual floor shift 4wd with locking hubs, and a np 205, and I'm assuming from what pjtoledo said, that it might not be the best idea to be cruising with traffic and just shift right into 4hi😂

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford f150
Transmission
Manual
Also, what is the purpose of the transfer case having a neutral? If I shift my transfer case into neutral, and then shift my transmission into gear, it does nothing. I'm wondering if there's a specific purpose for that?

Slug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the clarification!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also, what is the purpose of the transfer case having a neutral? If I shift my transfer case into neutral, and then shift my transmission into gear, it does nothing. I'm wondering if there's a specific purpose for that?
Flat towing.

Or in the case of a NP205 you can modify the shift rails and control each axle independently and put one end in neutral for various maneuvers off road.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Dunno much about the older stuff but it sounds like it’s pretty well covered. All of mine have shift on the fly. Unless I’m gonna be running on the highway, I’ll usually lock in the front hubs and run it in 2wd all winter. Hit a slick spot or the roads get bad, back off the throttle a bit and into 4hi and go. 4lo requires being stopped, it doesn’t like it any other way. Interesting side bar though, I worked maintenance for a company awhile back and the two company trucks were 2008-2015 Chevys. I had to run salt up to the other building and going up a hill I lost traction. Reached down to put it in 4x4 and nada. Lever would not move. Tried to stop and figure it out but that only put me sliding back down the hill and drifting sideways. Had to shove the brake pedal to the floor and lock up all 4 tires before it would let me shift. Scary. And on a newer truck. Found both were like that, no shift on the fly with Chevy trucks. Ehh, I’ll stick to my Fords, lol

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford f150
Transmission
Manual
Dunno much about the older stuff but it sounds like it’s pretty well covered. All of mine have shift on the fly. Unless I’m gonna be running on the highway, I’ll usually lock in the front hubs and run it in 2wd all winter. Hit a slick spot or the roads get bad, back off the throttle a bit and into 4hi and go. 4lo requires being stopped, it doesn’t like it any other way. Interesting side bar though, I worked maintenance for a company awhile back and the two company trucks were 2008-2015 Chevys. I had to run salt up to the other building and going up a hill I lost traction. Reached down to put it in 4x4 and nada. Lever would not move. Tried to stop and figure it out but that only put me sliding back down the hill and drifting sideways. Had to shove the brake pedal to the floor and lock up all 4 tires before it would let me shift. Scary. And on a newer truck. Found both were like that, no shift on the fly with Chevy trucks. Ehh, I’ll stick to my Fords, lol
That sounds like it would be pretty sketchy! Ive never owned a Chevy but it would be just like them to make 4wd complicated 😂

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can shift any transfer case from 2WD to 4high and back again as long as the front hubs are locked, won't hurt a thing
If front hubs are unlocked then do not shift transfer case until they are locked, and not much point in shifting transfer case to 4WD in any case, lol

If you have Auto Hubs and an Electric shift then you can also shift back and forth for 2WD or 4high, it has an electric clutch in the transfer case
Never seen Auto hubs with manual transfer case, but if you had that you would have to stop before shifting transfer case

When front hubs are locked, and assuming same size tires, then both driveshafts are spinning at the same speed so no grinding as gears mesh
If you were sliding or wheels had lost traction there might a little grinding but wouldn't be much, and probably wouldn't be a good idea to shift into 4WD at that time in any case, it would add a new wrinkle in your current control situation, could be better or could be worse off

2WD or 4WD on ice doesn't matter, 60 ton tanks slide on ice, ice is the great equalizer, 0 traction with what ever you are driving, lol

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That sounds like it would be pretty sketchy! Ive never owned a Chevy but it would be just like them to make 4wd complicated 😂
GM (and Dodge) used the same t-case your truck has in the same time frame.

Dodge used them into the 90's in Cummins trucks.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
So yeah I do have manual floor shift 4wd with locking hubs, and a np 205, and I'm assuming from what pjtoledo said, that it might not be the best idea to be cruising with traffic and just shift right into 4hi😂
Manual shift transfer case can be shifted into 4hi at any speed if your hubs are locked in, if not DON'T, you'll cause a lot of front end drive train clashing and possibly break stuff that's sitting at rest. With a manual shift transfer case and manual locking hubs your whole front drive train from the drive shaft, to the wheel hubs is in free mode, just sitting there not moving so shifting to 4WD while moving is gonna cause a lot of unorganized chaos.

I lock the hubs in on my Bronco 2 and just leave them through the winter, that way I can shift into 4WD if needed and not have to get out and lock in the hubs in deep snow. Once the hubs are locked in, your front and rear axles are going to be at the same speed if you are just driving along, but a sudden loss of traction causing wheel spin on the rear axle and you engage the 4WD you'll get a lot of clashing and grinding as the front and rear wheels are spinning at different speeds at that point.

To shift into 4WD in a situation like above, let off the accelerator so the wheel spin stops, you'll still be sliding, but you can then engage the 4WD and all will be fine, except for the sliding, you'll still do that LOL.

A shift to low range requires a full stop and shift to neutral or disengage the clutch and shift to low range, then release the clutch or shift back to drive. You still need to have the hubs locked in of course for the 4WD to work, that is unless you just want the low range for such things as moving a trailer around your property or something like that which leaving the hubs disengaged and just shifting to low range will give you 2WD low range...doesn't cause any harm.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals