• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is it bad for the clutch when...

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It's engaging extremely close to the floor?

my clutch has to be depressed all the way to the floor for me to put it into gear and begins to engage when I release it 1"-1.5" off the floor. I just got it back from having the slave and master cylinder replaced and before that it would engage right about halfway through the stroke.

Is this something I can just have adjusted? could it be the result of improper installation of parts or insufficient bleeding of the system?

BTW, if your ever broke down in central Illinois, avoid Sharon's automotive repair. It's a napa service center. I had them recommended and now have had my truck in there 5 times for the same issue. They just cant get it right.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Something isn't right. I would suspect improper bleeding.

Richard

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
It's either that or the master is not bolted to the firewall properly...had one push through due to rust and had the same effect...clutch engaged way too close to the floorboards (what was left of them)...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ Now that you bring that up, I had a master with the same symptoms.... one ear of the bolt flange broke, allowing movement of the master. I've also heard of the fire wall being cracked allowing flexing.

Richard

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree with all the above.... sometin ain;t right, clutch should START to engage about 1/2 way up, 2 1/2 - 3 inches from the floor.

Greg

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to hijack, but that means me not having to push my pedal much at all means I have a fairly new clutch?

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Sorry to hijack, but that means me not having to push my pedal much at all means I have a fairly new clutch?
NOPE, If the clutch is engaging at the top , it is on its way out. If it doesnt slip as you give more gas . You may have a while yet. :dunno:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Firewall breakage is not likely on Musick's truck. In 1995 the pedal bracket was redesigned to reinforce the firewall. Firewall cracking became much less of a concern after that.

If it releases right at the top, you probably have new hydraulics or a worn disc.

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's a good one to know ADSM, +1

Greg

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
with the hydraulic clutch it's normal for them to disengage about 1" from the rest position with everything working perfectly, if it's engaging lower, press the pedal all the way down then slip your foot off the pedal (after making sure the reservoir is full), this will work air out of the master cylinder, if it's in the slave, good luck...

92NHranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I replaced my slave and master and it was fine. If you had air in there i feel it would cause this. The air compresses so the slave doesnt max out when the pedal is at the floor. just have a friend sit in your and seat pump the pedal up and hold and you just open and close the bleeder very fast. if you take the rubber plugs out of your tranny you can see the travel of the slave/fingers. I could be completely wrong on this as our trucks have a 10 year difference but thats my 2 cents. Good luck with it

mobileaudio219

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like air in the system to me. I've always bleed them like you do brakes, have somebody pump it up and then hold the peddle to the floor, once they're holding the peddle down, crack the bleeder. Keep it full of brake fluid, and repeat the process until it stops bubbling out air.

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Conventional bleeding will NOT get the air out of these M5OD master cylinders, you have to do a combo of bench bleeding and gravity bleeding which means taking the MC out of the vehicle! :mad: :flipoff::temper::pissedoff:

Last edited:

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I got my truck back today and everything seems to be fine after bleeding. My clutch hasnt felt this good since I originally got it replaced over a year ago. Thanks for all of your input on the matter

:icon_cheers:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Conventional bleeding will NOT get the air out of these M5OD master cylinders, you have to do a combo of bench bleeding and gravity bleeding which means taking the MC out of the vehicle! :mad: :flipoff::temper::pissedoff:
if the air is just in the master, the method I mentioned above works somewhat reliably, the explorer I had had a bad slave and the master was going too since it'd been ran dry so many times, but every now and then I'd have to dump the clutch (in neutral of course) then it would work like new again for a couple weeks...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals