• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is is possible to fish mic wire behind dash?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all,
I've picked up a new bluetooth head unit for my 07 and I'm planning to clip the external mic to the headliner behind the rear-view. My plan is to run the wire under the headline to the A-pillar, down the A-pillar, then through the dash to the head unit. Hoping someone can tell me if this will require removing the dash, or if it's possible to just fish the wire through. If it requires removing the dash I'll probably just mount the mic inside the little pocket in the single DIN dash kit. Now that I think about I may end up doing that anyway, but I'd still like to know if fishing wires through the dash is feasible.
Thanks!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ive ran wires the same way you describe. Never had to remove anything, just carefully tuck it behind the headliner and a-piller, then you can snake it under the dash easily. There's enough gap and room. No need to remove anything.

Look under the dash, lots of space to work.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
On my 97 F150, I removed the gauge cluster bezel and was able to snake the cable through above the cluster. YMMV

Get creative using coat hangar wire hooks to push and pull the cable through places that are hard to reach.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ive ran wires the same way you describe. Never had to remove anything, just carefully tuck it behind the headliner and a-piller, then you can snake it under the dash easily. There's enough gap and room. No need to remove anything.

Look under the dash, lots of space to work.
Thanks! I'll give it a go!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
On my 97 F150, I removed the gauge cluster bezel and was able to snake the cable through above the cluster. YMMV

Get creative using coat hangar wire hooks to push and pull the cable through places that are hard to reach.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if Dirtman's approach doesn't work for me.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I ran the wires from my dash cam rear view mirror from the mirror, across the headliner, down the a pillar, under the dash, and to the fuse panel then back to the rear camera without removing anything or using any special tools. Just carefully tuck and and run them over anything that moves. Very easy just a bit of laying upside down.

Look at everything first and make a plan. Dont just start with a bunch of wire and go blindly into it lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals