• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is diesel still worth it?

BiggSherm1988

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
none...yet
Total Drop
not for me
So, I know that the majority of the people in this forum are in the US so the input might be a little biased, but I find myself not being able to locate good solid information on the issue I'm faced with.

I am looking to replace my 08 in a few years and all the trucks in Germany are diesel, there is no way around it until Ford releases a ranger with a hybrid or an electric option. My question is, with the 2035 combustion phase out would it be worth the money to buy a diesel? I'm wanted to avoid buying a diesel and then 5 to 10 years later diesel fuel/road tax is so high that I can't even drive my truck. I'm not an economist so I cannot tell what will happen in 5 to 10 years with diesel prices or taxes. On one hand it's over 10 years from now so id most likely get 8 years out of whatever I end up buying but on the other hand once that stupid phase out hits, I'd hate to have this vehicle that I can't even sell. I'm most likely over thinking this. I did look at the new 3.0L ecoboost Ranger Raptor and it is a bitchin ride.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You’ll need to do some research on this as to whether you can even bring the truck back into the states. Vehicles in the rest of the world are built to meet different emissions regulations than what is in place in the states. So, you might have to sell the truck before returning home anyway.

As far as vehicles going to electric by 2035. That is for new vehicles. There will still be petroleum fueled vehicles running around by then and after. Whether one can afford to fuel them or if gas or diesel will be available at that time might be a different story.

It is entirely possible that the market might not be able to support such a massive shift either. It’s just too hard to predict what will be for sure that far in advance.

Anyway, I would look at what the rules are for bringing a European vehicle into the states and if you can get one that meets US standards in Europe. And if you can get a compatible fuel for a US compliant vehicle in Europe.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Even in germany its not like come 2035 every diesel is going to magically disappear.

If the ban even comes to fruition. Id buy it and drive it. If nothing else as a big FU to the govt.

BiggSherm1988

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
none...yet
Total Drop
not for me
You’ll need to do some research on this as to whether you can even bring the truck back into the states. Vehicles in the rest of the world are built to meet different emissions regulations than what is in place in the states. So, you might have to sell the truck before returning home anyway.

As far as vehicles going to electric by 2035. That is for new vehicles. There will still be petroleum fueled vehicles running around by then and after. Whether one can afford to fuel them or if gas or diesel will be available at that time might be a different story.

It is entirely possible that the market might not be able to support such a massive shift either. It’s just too hard to predict what will be for sure that far in advance.

Anyway, I would look at what the rules are for bringing a European vehicle into the states and if you can get one that meets US standards in Europe. And if you can get a compatible fuel for a US compliant vehicle in Europe.

As for bringing a vehicle anywhere I wouldn't have such issues as I have zero intentions on leaving Germany. I have some little ones cementing my roots in this country and I do love it here.

My inquiry into the issue is mainly insight on if the powers that be will make it harder to own and drive a diesel once the ban begins. I've asked some diesel owners here and it usually turns into them denying the ban and arguing that diesels were basically hand crafted and engineered by God to be liberation from petrol.

BiggSherm1988

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
none...yet
Total Drop
not for me
Even in germany its not like come 2035 every diesel is going to magically disappear.

If the ban even comes to fruition. Id buy it and drive it. If nothing else as a big FU to the govt.
The ban is just for new vehicles so I image they wouldn't just disappear......I hope 😳

I'm just trying to avoid getting stuck with a vehicle that the government makes impossible to own but impossible to get rid of.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The ban is just for new vehicles so I image they wouldn't just disappear......I hope 😳

I'm just trying to avoid getting stuck with a vehicle that the government makes impossible to own but impossible to get rid of.
Thats the chance we all are taking these days. I wouldnt worry to much. Theres going to be fuel and IC cars around long after that ranger is worn out

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Check your options now. Diesels have been blamed for air pollution in European cities including in Germany, so some manufacturers are backing away from diesel engines in cars and light trucks. Sales have dropped a lot because of the bad publicity. Mazda dropped diesels from its line in several European countries, for example.

So I suspect now you should be able to find a gasoline (petrol) light truck there. VW and some other manufacturers sell small pickups in Europe that aren't brought here.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
As for bringing a vehicle anywhere I wouldn't have such issues as I have zero intentions on leaving Germany. I have some little ones cementing my roots in this country and I do love it here.

My inquiry into the issue is mainly insight on if the powers that be will make it harder to own and drive a diesel once the ban begins. I've asked some diesel owners here and it usually turns into them denying the ban and arguing that diesels were basically hand crafted and engineered by God to be liberation from petrol.
Like Rusty said, it’s a gamble many of us are going to take. The government may very well make owning any internal combustion powered vehicle so prohibitively expensive that people will just get rid of them one way or another or they may just let nature take it’s course as rust and diminishing parts availability takes them out. Or they might discover that a “one shoe fits all applications” was a poorly thought out plan and just keep producing both. Your guess is as good as mine.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I foresee this thread plunging into chaos :popcorn:

Looks like the average cost (USD/US Gal) for the past couple months was $7.21 for 98oct gas and $8.00 for diesel. That's an 11% premium for diesel. Last month in FL it was a 32% premium. I really don't see the 2035 thing being at all realistic unless there is a MASSIVE boom in EV infrastructure. The country would implode. I'd think you're even safer with diesel than us since it appears to be relied upon so heavily. And if your fears end up coming true, you'd be right there with the vast majority of your neighbors... but I'd be more worried about the previously mentioned implosion.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I foresee this thread plunging into chaos :popcorn:
Yeah, the next thing you know is it turns into the pineapple on pizza debate. :eek:

It is going to be interesting to watch what happens as bureaucrats are trying to do engineering on a wide scale instead of finding out from engineers if what they are implementing is possible. It seems that if it can be said, it can be done.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yeah, the next thing you know is it turns into the pineapple on pizza debate. :eek:

It is going to be interesting to watch what happens as bureaucrats are trying to do engineering on a wide scale instead of finding out from engineers if what they are implementing is possible. It seems that if it can be said, it can be done.
Now take in mind, this is from the military perspective and experience over three decades. The civilian world may be different but I doubt it.

The government has been notorious for implementing a plan or program ginned up by a time line, by people with a lot of book knowledge but little operational experience, and/or because it is something they want for one reason or another. And the field gets to deal with the misery of a poorly developed product and leaves us and the people picked or directed to manage it. Often, the legacy program’s contract or whatever has ended. So there is no back up to fall back on. This is happening more and more frequently and more often over the past few years.

In the end, it gets made to work one way or another because we don’t have a choice.

So, hopefully, this doesn't happen with the EV push but I’m old enough to have owned and worked on some of the early vehicles that had emissions systems put on them. And I’m old enough to remember the frustration those older than me had dealing with those early systems.

I hope none of this happens this time but I hope you’ll forgive my jaundiced view on how I think it’s going to happen.

Back to the OP. Work with what you have available now and what is most common and works best for where you are. 2035 will work itself out in some form or fashion when it gets here. That’s still 12-13 years away. A lot can happen between then and now.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Where I live diesel is $1.50 a gallon higher than regular gas...absolutely not worth it....add in the cost of DEF, the additional cost of routine maintenance and other repairs, and its far from worth buying a diesel anymore unfortunately.

If you are driving with a fully loaded truck/trailer every day, maybe its worth the headaches of diesel and additional cost, but for weekend warrior type people that pull their trailer to a camp spot a couple times a year, and they drive it back and forth to work, and as their family hauler, its far from worth the additional cost....Looks like when you click that diesel button on the build page on Ford for example its almost an $11k immediate jump in cost, that's a lot of regular gas and maintenance on a gas powered vehicle.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

And just for that, the government will outright ban ICE vehicles in 2036, as a royal FU right back atcha.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
And just for that, the government will outright ban ICE vehicles in 2036, as a royal FU right back atcha.
Ill convert to propane and run a grill cylinder i dont care. Be a cold day in hell before i drive a vaccum cleaner

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals