• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is carb mount same on 2.0 and 2.3

bowtieboy77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 86 ranger with a 88 carbureted 2.3 engine bolted to a m5r1 5 speed. The 2.3 is carbureted not fuel injected both were produced in 1988. Early 88 were carbed then switch to fuel inject mid year. I am thinking about installing a weber 32/36 progressive conversion kit on the 2.3 as I do not like the aisian 2bbl and I am exemt from emissions. I can find weber conversion kits for the 2.0 but not for the 2.3. I know the head intake and exhaust port shapes changed but wondering if the carb mount design is the same between the 2.0 and 2.3. Both did come with the aisian 2bbl just not sure if it was same carb model. The mount is a rectangle with stud in each corner. Or any other ideas as to what carb I can run I am aware I will most likely need adaptor plates.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Do you still have the 86 FI intake? If so, apparently it is one of the better intakes for adapting a carb...the 32/36 swap has been done by a few people with good results...although I haven't seen them on here for quite a while. The adapters are available...for a price, of course.

If you can find an older Mustang II (70's to early 80's) they used an intake with the Motorcraft 5200...which I happen to have on my truck...they are pretty good and have some adjustments, but there are other options...like the Holley 350 and 500...although you need to limit the flow on the 500 (again, apparently).

Pintos, Mavericks, and a few other older models also had carbs (v6 or V8) that can be adapted to an intake if you can find them.

I would suggest searching through this thread for posts about carburetors for more information because there is actually plenty to read. You may need to contact a local parts dealer if you want to go with a new carb though...or buy them online...I think GungfuDan (username) posted a link to where he bought his carb and adapter...haven't seen him around since he had a bit of a problem with his distributor chewing up gears...but the posts are still here...somewhere.

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Go to one of the online auto parts suppliers and see if the base gasket is the same part # , try rockauto.com, the 86 Fi manifold does work good with the adapter for carb but the part is in the $90-$100 range, check speedyway motors on line, for it

bowtieboy77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its not nor never was fuel injected. Some Canadian rangers continued to be carbed in 88 there alittle rare but this is one of them. Its a all original 1988 carbed 2.3. But the base gasket look up is a good idea that would tell me thanks. I also was in contact with carbs unlimited site and they found a weber conversion kit for a 86-88 2.0 that they say will work. about 325 for kit includes adapter plate, carb, air cleaner housing and filter, and all hardware not bad considering.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, if you live in Ontario I would sell you mine...I'm switching to a 3.0 FI soon...I hate to leave the carb behind but it's a must do right about now...can't find a low mileage engine to swap in...

$325 is actually less than what I'd priced out years ago...before I found mine in the junkyard...think I paid $150 for both intake and 5200 carb...

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Iam guessing that its a down draft weber I have done those on vw's but always had to change emulsion tubes or jets and they are expensive, if its for a 2000cc its going to need some work to get to work right on a 2300cc engine, what dont you like about the stock carb? just curious, no performace, bad milage, dont know what you have for junk yards up there but you never know what you can find, plus there just a fun place to be

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Iam guessing that its a down draft weber I have done those on vw's but always had to change emulsion tubes or jets and they are expensive, if its for a 2000cc its going to need some work to get to work right on a 2300cc engine, what dont you like about the stock carb? just curious, no performace, bad milage, dont know what you have for junk yards up there but you never know what you can find, plus there just a fun place to be
The stock carb is a pita...if it works, it's fine for basic use...but once you start having issues they are not worth the effort and they are not exactly the best for performance.

There are a few dozen (it seems) vacuum lines going here and there and back again that can cause problems and finding the line that is causing the problem is not a pleasant task...not to mention if the previous owner happens to have tried to modify it or was trying to troubleshoot and took some lines off...or they fell off...

When I bought my 88 with the 2.0 the PO had done some work on it...he said his FIL was a mechanic, but I guess he was not familiar with these carbs because he had pulled a bunch of the vac lines off and plugged them up...it would not run right initially but I finally got it running...and then the float managed to raise up and it kept flooding...lost more gas on the highway than I actually burned until I figured that one out...

I saw one for sale in Ontario a few weeks ago and was tempted to contact the owner because it listed very low mileage...I could have just removed the carb and plunked mine on there and had a pretty decent truck...but it was gone before I could respond.

Anyway, once I swapped the carb and intake I had about two years of pretty much trouble free driving with it...until I overheated it...then the fight started...:)

EDIT: Oh, and there are still restrictions on removing things like the EGR and air pump...if the MOT or MOE finds you have removed anything it is a fine ranging from $400 to $5,000...and they can impound the vehicle on the spot if they choose to make your life interesting...so to the OP...keep that in mind when you modify anything...leave the pump and EGR in place...

Last edited:

bowtieboy77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info guys. The carb that came off was a aisian 2bbl have not heard much good about them and they are loaded with emission components. Being a licensed truck and auto tech I am aware of penelties of bypassing or removing emission controls but small town rural area not to worried. Yes I'm in ontario Watford actually. So if I were to find a moto 5200 or holley 350 will they bolt right on to my intake without a adaptor plate? Might go that way still deciding.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If you have the original 2.0 intake then I think you will need an adapter with any other carb. Can't remember the specs on it to be honest, but I remember looking for a replacement carb when I was in Barrie and I went into a Performance Improvements store...the guy told me there are no carbs that fit that intake directly...they offered me a new Holley 350 and adapter for an outrageous price (even when I was actually making good money) and I decided to look elsewhere.

If you have any junkyards that have kept the older trucks then you might want to look for a different intake while you're in the process...unless you have time constraints to get this up and running...

As I mentioned, gungfudan had the same Asian carb and put the 32/36 on the stock intake using an adapter...I will see if I can find his old post...he did provide a link for a company in Florida or wherever he lives, but the shipping would be brutal.

Being a tech, I'm sure you can source what you need in Canada...

EDIT: It wasn't as easy to find as I'd thought because I searched on his user name (gungfudan) but searched again on weber carb and found the link I was thinking about...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1263668#post1263668

Again, he bought this in Washington so prices will vary somewhat...unless you order something from them...or just order the adapter...whatever you decide, it will be worth the investment...usually!

If you are interested in my intake it will take a holley direct bolt-on...but I haven't even pulled the engine yet because I'm still driving it...speaking of emissions...lol

Last edited:

bowtieboy77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Mark I do have one more question its the same question I started with. You keep asking if I have the original 2.0 intake. The engine is 2.3 and has the 2.3 intake so I'm wondering if the carb mounting flange is the same on 2.0 intake and my 2.3 intake.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is a picture of the Round port 2.0 intake that uses the odd ball Asain carb.
(note the odd opening for the carb).

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thanks Mark I do have one more question its the same question I started with. You keep asking if I have the original 2.0 intake. The engine is 2.3 and has the 2.3 intake so I'm wondering if the carb mounting flange is the same on 2.0 intake and my 2.3 intake.
Well, you are in Canada...the only engine with a carb in 88 was the 2.0 in Canada...87 and 88 from what I remember...so if the engine is a 2.3 it is an implant like mine...or a mishmash of parts like mine would be more correct.

The Asian carb was, as far as I know, the ONLY carb used on the Canadian version of the Ranger...and the intake looks like the image Kenneth just posted...

Maybe post a pic of your engine if you have one...not that anyone can tell from the outside of the engine because they are identical to the 2.3 in every way externally...but the internals will tell you what is what.

At one point I swapped in a 2.3 short block and used the 2.0 head, carb, and intake...until I cracked the head...then I moved on to a 2.3 head but used the 2.0 intake and carb...only after I realized that the main problem I was having was the Asian carb and the way the intake worked with it...that's when I installed the intake and carb from the 78 Mustang II...

Sorry if this story has been told about twenty times over the years, but it is what finally worked the best...still using the 2.0 wiring though...and that is why I would like to see a pic of the engine...and the engine bay with the wiring...sounds like the previous owner simply swapped in a 2.3 and used the 2.0 intake.

bowtieboy77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Kenneth that answers my question completely apperantly 2.0 2.3 used the same intake its identical to my 2.3 intake. Thinking I'm going to avoid the scrap yard hassle and order the new weber carb more money but should be trouble free for years. Thanks for all the help guys.

bowtieboy77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is possible the 88 chassis the engine came out of should have had a 2.0 not sure now. The engine is a 2.3 for sure as I've had the block and head machined and new flat tops hung on rods and the machinest did not mention that it was anything else but a 2.3. I do remember when I first built the truck about 10yrs ago I did a quick rebuild on it and re ringed it I got the wrong rings a machinist friend researched it and classified it as a metric 2.3 and got me the proper rings. He used to oval track race the mustang II with 2.3 that were completely done up. Again thanks for all the help.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Plenty can happen to a vehicle in 25 years so no big deal...the main issue would be getting it working right so as long as you are on the right track and get what you need then all is good...keep us posted of how it turns out if you have time...always nice to see happy endings to these stories...:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals