• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is an SCT Tuner worth it for a Stickshift

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
Hey I'm considering getting the SCT tuner but I'm hearing tuners don't do much when you have a manual transmission...

Would it be worth the money to get the SCT for my stickshift?

Another reason other than performance is that I'm installing my 29 inch tires on my truck tomorrow, up from 27 and I would like to tune the truck so that my speedo will still be correct.

Can an SCT tuner account for bigger tires to get the speedometer back to the correct reading?

I have a 2006 3.0L if that helps.

Thanks or any advice ya got!

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
pretty sure it can. Idk about the performance aspect though

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
Well that may be enough of a reason to get it, I'm sure a dealership would cost a bunch to reprogram the computer for the tires anyways...

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
you should be able to adjust for tire size and axle ratio changes but the performance aspect of those tuners i haven't dealt with.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
My programmer was well worth it for my 4.0 SOHC Ranger with a manual transmission and I can't even recalibrate the speedometer. My programs were done for me. Not only do I get better performance but the truck has better drive-ability. If I can control my lead foot I can also get better gas mileage. I had the speed limiter raised too because I don't like being limited to 90 mph when I am passing on a two lane road.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
An SCT X3 has options to adjust global spark, 0-2000rpm spark, 2K-4K spark, 4K-8K spark (these are all timing advance/retard values) ability to increase WOT fuel (but if the loaded program is worth a damn it should be calibrated already) rev limiter, speed limiter, gear ratio, tire size (in revolution per mile) and for auto trans you can increase line pressure and shift points.

I ended up installing a cat-back and volant intake. Talked to FRED at rogue performance and I ended up with a "base tune" where I datalogged the engine for a few days and he made adjustments necessary to bring it closer to perfection. It does provide more passing power.... but its not going to make a 3.0L perform like a 4.0L. However, it will allow you to account for axle ratios and tire sizes.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Plenty worth it. Depending on the tuner you can change speedometer calibrations and the other important part, tune your engine for performance addons. Get it now when you have a use for it, keep it for engine upgrades. You never know when you will need it.

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the tips everyone, I think I will look into it, is rogue performance the best out there for the 3.0? I know I've heard the name mentioned on these forums before...

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I would use Fred. He's done some wild things with a 3.0L so he should know what to do with your setup. I got a few ideas from him for my old 3.0L including crane 1.7:1 ratio roller rockers originally made for the 5.0L mustang.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals