• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is 2005 Edge good?

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Maxda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75-15
I saw an '05 Edge, had cap, brush guard, and steps (under door). It looked pretty cool. 4x4 and cab plus which is probably standard for that. 4.0L I believe. What's the verdict on that model? It's not for sale, I just wondered, if I ever saw a good deal on one, should I be interested? I love my truck, just wish it had 4x4.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: BD8D9A3814E19D Expires July 5th, 2022

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don’t don’t think edge adds much to a truck that’s already 4x4. 2wd edge has torsion bar front suspension instead of coil spring though.

4.0 sohc is a good motor.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Maxda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75-15
OK. Prices seem inflated for them too. Torsion bar gives softer ride? Guess the answer on Edge is paying for the badge, mostly. Yeah 4.0 is nice, but, mine w/ 3.0 really doesn't seem so sluggish as people seem to imply. I think key is just don't be afraid to give it some gas. It goes. Mileage sucks, but I knew that before I got it. Haven't ever had it on a highway drive yet so probably it's better than around town stop/go etc.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don’t don’t think edge adds much to a truck that’s already 4x4. 2wd edge has torsion bar front suspension instead of coil spring though.

4.0 sohc is a good motor.
Different front bumper IIRC.

More or less an appearance package for a 4wd.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Edge was just a trim level, I bought one new in 04. I wanted a vinyl steering wheel and vinyl flooring and Edge was the only one available as a 4 door SUPERCASB that didn't have fender flares. I wanted a chrome grill and black faced gauges but they only came with an XLT that would also have carpeting. They offered an XLT value package but only as a 2 door supercab so I got white face gauges and a body color grill. Every 4x4 had torsion bars, at least by 04. Ford has never built cab plus or an extended cab, just several million Supercabs.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
V6 of power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I have the 3.0 in my edge with the five speed and it gets 18-19 on the highway doing 80-85mph. The torsion bars make it ride stiffer than coils do.

To me, the torsion bars limit how much more you can do to the truck, suspension wise

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’ve got a torsion bar truck and a coil spring truck. I think the torsion bar rides softer. Both are XLT with 4.0, one 4wd and one 2wd.

I’m sure if we looked around we could find spring rates for the coils vs torsion bars.

I also think the torsion bars take up a lot of realestate under the truck and get in the way when trying to do exhaust and transmission work.

Blmpkn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" level
Tire Size
255/75/17
T bar trucks definitely give you more to get hung up on while offroad lol.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Maxda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75-15
Sounds like torsion bars aren't really better. Can you tell me what is difference between cab plus (what I have, with the suicide doors) and supercab or extended cab? I'm pretty sure the Edge had what I'd call cab plus, of course you can't know without seeing if the rear suicides open, but doesn't make sense it would look just like mine but not have doors... sorry I didn't notice. It was just a brief look... I guess if it had doors you'd see the lines around it. But what would the sense be of making the cab bigger but have no doors there. I might see it again, if so, I'll check that. Seems like I've seen tons of Rangers with the same setup as mine with jump seats and suicide doors so I'm confused why you say they never made them. Please forgive my ignorance. Edit: maybe my confusion is it looks like cab plus = supercab, it's just a naming difference between the brands. Let me know if that's right.

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sounds like torsion bars aren't really better. Can you tell me what is difference between cab plus (what I have, with the suicide doors) and supercab or extended cab? I'm pretty sure the Edge had what I'd call cab plus, of course you can't know without seeing if the rear suicides open, but doesn't make sense it would look just like mine but not have doors... sorry I didn't notice. It was just a brief look... I guess if it had doors you'd see the lines around it. But what would the sense be of making the cab bigger but have no doors there. I might see it again, if so, I'll check that. Seems like I've seen tons of Rangers with the same setup as mine with jump seats and suicide doors so I'm confused why you say they never made them. Please forgive my ignorance. Edit: maybe my confusion is it looks like cab plus = supercab, it's just a naming difference between the brands. Let me know if that's right.
Doors or no doors, they are both super cab. They are the same size. The doors cost extra, that’s why not all super cabs have them. If you don’t have the doors the jump seats fold into where the door would be, facing the center of the truck. The jump seats where also optional.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Maxda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75-15
OK, thanks. Then supercab is what Mazda calls Cab Plus (owner's manual). Mine has the two seats folding up different directions. Or did, I took them out, need to make platform for dog, other guy did it fantastic, with storage under. I just haven't done it yet. I did fix the suicide doors which wouldn't open because cable grommets at door handles were shot, I replaced with nice aluminum ones, they work great now. I didn't realize you could get cab plus (Mazda), or supercab (Ford) without doors, that would seem really dumb. I find them the cat's meow for putting groceries, better than a trunk, or hatch, or 4-door, or any other thing. Mine has alloys and factory (or dealer) bedliner, probably some other options, but they didn't get power locks/windows which would have been awfully nice. I saved jump seats/bolts in case anyone ever wanted it back stock but for me they were just in the way. Taking them out gives a fair amount more room. Of course they you have to deal with the unfinished part of the floor/side panels but the platform covers those if it's 8" high. You can do it and still have full recline on the seats at full-back. The only other thing then is that taking off the jack mount leaves an ugly place, some people put a cargo net over it. It's kind of tricky if you want to replace it because of the shape. One option would be maybe to put a panel over it, you'd only lose a bit there, might work. I wonder if any of the models had a panel without the jack mount there? Then it could just be swapped out. Thanks for all add'l info. Sorry if I got a bit off topic there.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The standard versus extended cab or supercab or whatever is just semantics... there's two cab sizes, short and long, sometime after '97 they started adding a third door then a 4th door to the same cab that had been offered since '93...

Like said the Edge is mainly a trim package, the 4x2's had torsion bars so they could be 4x4 suspension height without any extra parts on the assembly side just some dummy axle stubs to hold the wheel bearings together... All '98-11 4x4's had torsion bars, it's just what you get... there's a few different stiffness bars and keys available depending on different things...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Other notables on the Edge models is the Edge marking obviously, along with the taller hood and the bed rail plastic things that raised them like an inch...

Ranger850

Banned... except Florida... and here soon
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
My Single cab '01 Edge has gray "Edge" decal in front of the rear tire, 3.0 V6, 5 spd manual tans, vinyl floors, manual window cranks, A/C, cd player, one piece back glass, plastic bed rails, and honeycomb grill. Came with a 60/40 bench seat with flip down console switched to Expo buckets and console. I think it's the most bare bones Edge you could get at the time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad