• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

internet providers

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so right now i currently pay 50$ a month for cable ones unlimited 5 mbps package. on my computer it says i use about 60 gigs of bandwith a month. had it for little under 2 months and im at 111 gigs... :icon_surprised: so apparently i have to have an unlimited package.. thats besides the point.

im tired of cable one throttling and slowing down my internet to speeds that i cannot use.

was wondering if any one has qwest/century link? ive read good and bad reviews about it online

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Do you actually have a choice in local provider?

In my case I don't I get a choice between my local Cable-TV/Phone service and nothing at all for a physical connection...

If I want to use a wireless broadband connection from Verizon or AT&T I could but they want three times
as much... JUST for internet as I currently pay for phone cable AND internet service

AD

Last edited:

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Had qwest/centuryfink. Moved to cable one for faster access and better reliability. The unlimited data volume with qwest/centurylink is a plus, but speed slowdown due to wiring and inability to find and repair the problem sent me to a more stable (so far) provider.

IF you change providers, keep track of your speeds as registered by your modem. I believe the wiring to my modem was screwed up outside the house, and it could never be found and fixed.

The "technicians" that were sent out (all 12 different techs over 18 months) couldn't find the problem when they got there (avg 3 days after problem). my problem was temperature and/or moisture related. When I called in, the issue could be seen in the signal. When the techs arrived, no signal issues. The techs also wouldn't exchange the modem for testing purposes.

I am in Twin Falls Idaho, for your information. YMMV, depending on wiring and other factors.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well for my apartment number they say they wont give my century link, but for the building itself they say they will...

srteach, this is exactly what i was asking about. ive read so many things like this online. but ive also read that people prefer cable one over centurylink. i refuse to pay for something im going to get to use 14 days a month.

i currently have the 5mbps unlimited package, and i almost always get my 5 mbps. and its pretty reliable untill i start downloading crap.. and no its not torrents/music. and the only package i can get from centurylink for the building is the 7mbps package.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Right now I have Century Link, used to be Qwest. They're prices are always going up, don't buy into their price lock plan BS, the price will remain the same maybe, but if their minimum bandwith changes you'll be stuck with the lower bandwidth, they won't just switch your service to a higher bandwidth when technology advances you have to call and argue with them, then they change your rates and then you are paying 3-4x more than the original plan in a year or so.

I'm currently looking at getting Cricket broadband, yeah its got a 4GB full speed maximum but they claim they never cut your service they just slow it down if you reach your limit, I've never kept track of my usage, but I'm pretty sure that with the youtube video watching and internet surfing I'm always over the 4GB limit which is $45 for this plan and $55 for the 8GB plan.

Has anyone used the Cricket Wireless Broadband Internet?

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
For just under $50/month I get Fios 40Mbps unlimited. You got Fios up there?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
This is an old thread, but I will just say that over the years I have had several providers and types of internet connections. I started out with a 14.4k modem back in the Windows 3.1 days. I never owned Windows 95, but I got 98 SE on an IBM Aptiva box (unbelievably still have this) that also had a 56K modem. Max connection I ever got was 38k. I though I was hot s4!t. Then when Windows 2000 came out (actually had it as NT5 first) I upgraded to ISDN 128K because that was my only option - I would bet very few people on here had that or ever heard of it except maybe Allan. DSL was available in some areas, but not in my parents neighborhood (and for some damn reason it STILL isn't). Let me tell you.... I had this in Napster's beginning days, and I thought it was great. Soon after, a local company began offering wireless via dish mounted on the roof. While this was fast... if it was windy it would always lose connection. I then graduated to a cable modem, which wad AT&T @Home. Still to this day the fastest friggin connection I've ever had. I don't know where this was available throughout the country - but if you had it, you know EXACTLY what I'm saying. The other added bonus was, they did not filter the cable TV out of the line, so I had free cable. Enter Comcast. I can not stand that company. Never dealt with a more greedy company in my life.

So now I have been a Qwest/Century Link customer for 10 years. I started out with 768k, then 1.5 megabit, and now I have 7 megabit. In 10 years, I've replaced the modem 4 or 5 times, and had one outage caused by a bad wire coming into the house. If you want to get Qwest out in a hurry, tell them you work from home and require an internet connection. They move quick. That all said, my 7 megabit connection is 28 dollars per month. It is plenty of bandwidth for us. It is constantly in use (my wife really does work from home) streaming Netflix or Pandora. I've had 3 devices (Wii, Sony Bluray player, Sony Media Player) streaming at once, and it kept up. I am pleased with it.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals