• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermittent Rough Idle

Tman5293

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Automatic
My 04 B2300 has a slightly rough idle that shakes the truck at stop lights. Sometimes it's worse than others and sometimes it's barely present. I have no DTCs and the spark plugs have been replaced in the last 6 months. The rough idle was present before I replaced the plugs. The engine seems to be idling at the correct RPM. There just seems to be a lot of vibration transfered through the chassis. This is a 2.3L DOHC. The only thing I can really think of is that it might be engine mounts going bad. The engine seems to run fine besides the shaking. When looking at the engine running under the hood you can visibly see the vibration.

Any ideas guys? I want to make sure I properly diagnose this before I kill myself trying to put engine mounts in it.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Start it up... have someone put it in drive while holding the brake and torque it up a bit... with you standing off to the side to watch the engine. If you have bad mounts... you will see the engine roll.

Tman5293

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Automatic
If you have a vacuum gauge handy try hooking it up and seeing what it does. Here is a link to the vacuum diagnostics in the How to tech section for quick reference. If the engine is misfiring you will be able to tell easily with a vacuum gauge.

https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/dealing-with-engine-vacuum/
If it was misfiring wouldn't I have a DTC for it? The truck seems to drive fine with no loss of power. I would assume that I would be down on power with a misfire.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If the power is smooth then no misfire. You would feel it especially pulling hills. Now a vacuum gauge can tell more than a misfire to so check out the link if for nothing else just info.

Does your check engine light come on when you turn the key from off to run? This is just to be sure the light bulb is still working.

Be very careful when checking the motor mounts the way Uncle Gump suggested, while it is the best way to tell, you must not be in front of the truck when checking them. I can't stress how dangerous it is to be near a vehicle while in gear with someone pressing the gas and your head is under the hood, well not under the hood exactly.

Tman5293

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Automatic
If the power is smooth then no misfire. You would feel it especially pulling hills. Now a vacuum gauge can tell more than a misfire to so check out the link if for nothing else just info.

Does your check engine light come on when you turn the key from off to run? This is just to be sure the light bulb is still working.

Be very careful when checking the motor mounts the way Uncle Gump suggested, while it is the best way to tell, you must not be in front of the truck when checking them. I can't stress how dangerous it is to be near a vehicle while in gear with someone pressing the gas and your head is under the hood, well not under the hood exactly.
Yes the check engine light works. All the lights come on when I start the truck up.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Just spit balling on this one here till you check the mounts but a vacuum leak can make the engine idle rough also. Vacuum gauge would help tell that also. It would show up as low vacuum.

Tman5293

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Automatic
Just spit balling on this one here till you check the mounts but a vacuum leak can make the engine idle rough also. Vacuum gauge would help tell that also. It would show up as low vacuum.
If I pick up a vacuum gauge, where would I hook it up?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
There should be a vacuum tree coming off the intake manifold usually positioned near the firewall side of the manifold. Multiple vacuum hoses would be connected to it and should have a few with just rubber caps plugging the unused orifices. This is the best place to tap into the vacuum system.

Tman5293

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Automatic
There should be a vacuum tree coming off the intake manifold usually positioned near the firewall side of the manifold. Multiple vacuum hoses would be connected to it and should have a few with just rubber caps plugging the unused orifices. This is the best place to tap into the vacuum system.
As far as I could tell when I pulled the manifold the other day to do the valve cover gasket, there's only two vacuum hoses connected to it. One that runs to the vaccum ball and one for the brake booster.

wcurtin1962

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check your motor mounts. When mine failed the engine was resting directly on the frame.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
As far as I could tell when I pulled the manifold the other day to do the valve cover gasket, there's only two vacuum hoses connected to it. One that runs to the vaccum ball and one for the brake booster.
You can use a T and put in between the manifold and hose to the canister since your motor doesn't seem to have the vacuum tree. My gauge came with a T adapter when I bought it.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
We're still doing this?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals