• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermittent no spark or no fuel problem

87RangerXLTct

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I’ve been having an intermittent problem with my 1987. Usually on short half hour rides. It will cut out while I’m driving down the road, almost like it’s flooding out but if I lift off the gas pedal and floor it will clear up usually just surges for a bit. Last time it did this I made it to my destination but it wouldn’t start when I went to leave 3 hours later. It sputtered a few times like it was trying to start. I tried pulling the coil wire and testing for spark then and I had none. Got a tow truck home and it started up the next day after work.
I pulled the koeo codes and got code 95. Which everything seems to be working with the fuel pumps, it starts up and runs. I pulled the fuel pump relay connector and I have 12volts on one of the pins, so relay is getting power.
I do have a fusible link off the starter relay post that is bad, but I’m not sure what it powers? I can’t find that fusible link on any wiring diagrams I’ve looked at. It’s brown with a white stripe.
I suspect it’s gotta have something to do with this bad fusible link, but how do I go about splicing it back together?
IMG_2319.jpeg
IMG_2320.jpeg

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I’ve been having an intermittent problem with my 1987. Usually on short half hour rides. It will cut out while I’m driving down the road, almost like it’s flooding out but if I lift off the gas pedal and floor it will clear up usually just surges for a bit. Last time it did this I made it to my destination but it wouldn’t start when I went to leave 3 hours later. It sputtered a few times like it was trying to start. I tried pulling the coil wire and testing for spark then and I had none. Got a tow truck home and it started up the next day after work.
I pulled the koeo codes and got code 95. Which everything seems to be working with the fuel pumps, it starts up and runs. I pulled the fuel pump relay connector and I have 12volts on one of the pins, so relay is getting power.
I do have a fusible link off the starter relay post that is bad, but I’m not sure what it powers? I can’t find that fusible link on any wiring diagrams I’ve looked at. It’s brown with a white stripe.
I suspect it’s gotta have something to do with this bad fusible link, but how do I go about splicing it back together?View attachment 111146View attachment 111147
Just buy a new fusiable link and splice in like a normal wire.

If you lost spark though its probably a bad coil, ignition module, or a wire going to them.

Check the plug going to the coil...the wires inside the plug (where you cant see them) like to corrode and break off.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
My buddies kinda having same issue with his 87 2.9. more of a spark issue. It sputters and runs like crap. And sometimes it ll stall and won't start back up for like 3 or 4 hrs. It's been at a garage for almost a mth and they can't figure out y it's doing what it's doing. They already changed distributor,and tfi.,plugs

87RangerXLTct

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My buddies kinda having same issue with his 87 2.9. more of a spark issue. It sputters and runs like crap. And sometimes it ll stall and won't start back up for like 3 or 4 hrs. It's been at a garage for almost a mth and they can't figure out y it's doing what it's doing. They already changed distributor,and tfi.,plugs
Damn I hope they figure that out for him. Keep us posted if they pinpoint the problem.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Did they change the coil?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18

87RangerXLTct

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The black rubber on the fusible link wire is stamped 20ga, is that the size I should be looking for to replace it with? I went to 2 parts stores and they say it’s 18ga?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

XLTsplash
June Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals