• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermittent misfires rough idle and acceleration

fenderville

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0 Extended Cab 4x4 off-road.

About three weeks ago, the engine light came on so I stopped by AutoZone to pull the codes.

It was a misfire on bank 6. So, I changed out the plug and all was fine... for a few weeks.

Then, the rough running came back and engine light came back on. So, I took it back to pull the new codes and now there is a misfire on bank 3 and 4.

Last year I had the intake gasket fixed because I know the 2000 Ranger 4.0 is notorious for blowing intake and manifold gaskets. It ran great for 10 Months now the misfires. They also did a smoke test and fixed any vacuum leaks. And replaced the exause sensor on the passengers side.

My first thought was that the plug was fouled because when I replaced bank 6 all was well for a few weeks. But, now 3 and 4 are misfiring and it is sort of intermittent. It runs fine for a few miles then rough for a while.

I hate to just start throwing parts at it but I am at a loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

fenderville

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am still at a loss. I reset the codes and now I get a miss fire on bank 3 and 4. They are not close so i ruled out a gasket leak. Any thoughts?

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well, when was the last time you did a complete tune-up? You know like plugs and wires. What kind of plugs are in there? If not motorcraft double platinum, that may be your problem. Those 4.0s eat just about anything else in short order.

Lone-Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^ditto. You should never swap out just one plug anyway.

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
You guys know where you can get motorcraft double platinums? I can only find singles for a 93 4.0.

fenderville

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies. The plugs and wires are not that old, less than two years. That is why I thought it was ok to change just one plug. I put motor craft platinums in.

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put motorcraft something in mine maybe 3 months ago and already getting a noticeable miss until the engine warms up :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals