• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermittent clutch engagement, master, slave or mechanical?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just got home from a ~1800 mile road trip in the '97 Ranger, couple issues came up... One was today when I was going through Redding CA, went up a hill and downshifted to 4th and had no clutch engagement... coasted down the shoulder with the flashers on for a bit, worked the clutch pedal some, dumped it in neutral a couple times then just tried 4th again and had some clutch so kept going... I'm used to the symptoms of if the clutch doesn't disengage, but this not engaging thing is odd... Oh, no vibrations so I'm assuming the friction disc springs and pressure plate fingers are intact.

The pedal feel is off, first inch feels normal then there's not much resistance. After the first time it came up I played it safe and drove for the next 100 miles shifting without the clutch (much slower, but it shifts fine if the shaft speeds are matched, no tach so from pure experience...), had to get gas so I tried it again at stop signs and such, it worked again. The problem seems to come when everything is hot climbing hills, it works sometimes then nothing, I smelled clutch once when I tried again on a big hill. If you are patient whatever is holding pressure bleeds off to where it will hold again.

My gut feeling is something in the slave cylinder is sticking when it's out somehow, but I'm hoping that isn't the case...

Any experience or bright ideas before I gear up to change everything in time I don't have?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If you sit on level ground in 1st with your foot on the clutch...but not the brake....does it start to creep away?

Hows the fluid level?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Almost sounds like there’s a lot of air in the slave and it’s heating up, expanding and disengaging the clutch. But I wouldn’t think it should get that hot. I’d try bleeding it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Dustin, it's the other way around, when it's mad it won't engage, if you use the pedal it shifts like normal but sometimes you just don't get any clutch friction until either the slave relaxes or the blockage in the master releases.

Eric, I thought about that but if I understand things correctly the master cylinder should bypass pressure at rest if everything is working correctly. For that to happen there would have to be some foreign material blocking a port somewhere. Plus if there was air in the slave it wouldn't disengage, and if it was truly heat related pressure wise I would have lost the clutch driving around without using the hydraulics, everything goes south when you cycle the pedal and need to transmit most of the engines torque.

Not trying to shoot down ideas, I had 400 miles to think about what is going on, just don't remember reading about something like this in the past :)

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Precisely! :)

I guess I could just order and install master and cross my fingers... I hate to throw parts at things, but there's not much to that system, and for a daily driver it might as well all be fresh and start with the easy stuff...

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Pull the inspection cover and have someone else push the pedal while you watch?

There is a YouTube video floating around that describes the bleeding process, and they mention having 0.060" of pressure plate lift off the clutch disc being the Ford spec for clutch disengagement.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I think I'll get a master cylinder tomorrow and attempt to put it in, but before I tear into it I think checking the slave cylinder operation is a good idea, daylight is leaving fast anymore so didn't have time tonight to screw with it...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Got a master cylinder, that was the culprit... That guy is kinda shoved up in there but not too bad... still easier on the '90 I think but it was nice only having one fastener... A slave will be needed when a clutch is due, I took off the inspection cover to look up in there and it's kinda damp and covered with clutch goo but it has great pedal feel now. Must have been some goo in the master, the fluid that came out of the hose was nice and clean though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals