• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermittent "Check Gage" Light

jaj040

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2000 XLT 3.0 Check gage light comes on and off randomly. There doesn't seem to be a reason for it to come on. All the gages read normal. When it comes on and off, no gage changes. Parking uphill or downhill light could be on or off, all RPMs could be on or off. Just started the truck or fully up to temp could be on or off. It's off for the majority of the time, but it will come on for a few seconds and go out, or it could come on for a minute and go out.

Anyone else ever had this problem? All the other check gage posts seem to be related to having a gage out of range (duh). It's just annoying more than anything else. It also doesn't seem to work to indicate low fuel either, still is random when the gage reads low. I should note that it's been doing this since I bought the truck a few years ago. Previous owner also said it comes on randomly.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Slosh Module on the back of the instrument cluster runs the Check Gauge Light.

Slosh module or anti-slosh module has primary use to keep fuel gauge needle steady when you go around corners and fuel "sloshes" around in the tank, so float goes up and down.

But Engine temp and Oil pressure gauges are also hooked up to Slosh module for access to Check Gauge light.
Check gauge light should light up when key is turned on, tests that bulb is working
It will then go off
If fuel gauge is low it will come on
If engine is running and oil gauge is low it will come on
If engine is running and Temp gauge is high it will come on

Volt gauge, speedo and tach don't use Check Gauge light from what I see in the wiring.

So best guess is Slosh module problem, if you notice Check Gauge Light comes on after going around corners then for sure time for a new Slosh module.

I posted the 2000 instrument cluster wiring diagram in this thread: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167158

Download it and have a look at the wiring

Last edited:

jaj040

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Ron, I'll take a look at that. They seem pretty pricey for a new replacement. I'll probably pull it and clean the contacts and see it that fixes it. If not, I'll probably just pull the bulb.

rarampone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
My '95 4.0 check Gage lamp comes on intermittently but only when vehicle reaches temperature. Never when cold. Temperature Gage is non-functional. I figure when I take apart that will be the first thing to replace.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My '95 4.0 check Gage lamp comes on intermittently but only when vehicle reaches temperature. Never when cold. Temperature Gage is non-functional. I figure when I take apart that will be the first thing to replace.
Just change the ECT(engine coolant temp) SENDER on the engine, cheap part, or make sure its plugged in

For 4.0l OHV , its above thermostat housing on lower intake, there are TWO temp devices

ECT sensor, it has 2 wires, and uses 5volts, its only connected to the computer
ECT sender is next to it, in 1995 it has 1 wire(red/white wire), and uses 12volts, only connected to temp gauge in dash

At the autoparts store they WILL give you an ECT sensor first time out, tell them sender, spell it out, S E N D E R
If its in a box open it and check, ONE WIRE connection

DO NOT put tape on the lower threads, thats the Sender's Ground connection, which is why it only needs 1 wire

rarampone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I seem to remember a shop one time told me that the sender was OK, maybe they grounded the sender wire and watched for the gage to move? That is ancient history, time to start fresh. Is there a way to tell if the sender is bad (without replacing it)?
Thanks much,
Rich

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, as you said, FIND IT, then remove the 1 wire and GROUND that wire, turn on key and gauge should go to HOT
If so, wire and gauge are OK, replace sender
If gauge doesn't move then wire or gauge problem

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals