• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermitent bearing squeal(PS pump)?

HighMileage93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l I4
Transmission
Manual
I have a noise that sounds like a bearing squeal but it usually occurs at start up and goes away in a second or two but can last several seconds at times. It is so loud with the hood up that i can't pin-point the location but when setting in the cab it seems to be directly in front of me. I could get it to make a mild squeal while goosing the throttle today and thought i heard noises within the PS pump. Could the pump be catching internally and causing the pulley to slip on the shaft? Has me thinking about swapping to manual steering instead of replacing the pump.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Does turning the steering wheel make it louder? After it goes away, can you make it come back by turning the steering wheel? If yes, I would continue thinking about the powers steering pump. It is doubtful that the pulley is slipping on the shaft. More likely that a bearing is gailing somewhere, causing the belt to slip on that pulley. Otherwise, check everything before buying parts.

With engine off, remove the belt. Spin all the pulleys, try to wiggle pulleys sideways to feel for play. You could have bad bearings in something causing bearing squeal or belt slip. Alternator pulley should spin freely with no play. Tensioner pulley should have no play. Idler pulley should have no play. Etc. Check the condition of each item.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

HighMileage93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l I4
Transmission
Manual
The only pulleys that are original are the tensioner and the power steering pump. Today is the first time that the volume changed VERY slightly with steering input. Also, as soon as the squealing stopped, the charging gauge jumped up. Whichever one it is, it was slowing the belt down. It did seem to get a little worse after I put a new belt on and snugged up the tensioner. (I just bought a new belt to bypass the AC compressor.)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Frankly I find the notion of the tensioner being worn out and allowing the belt to slip to be far more likely than the idea that the PS pulley is slipping on it's shaft.

The PS pulley is an interference fit to the shaft, which is why the end of the shaft is chamfered. Interference fit means that the shaft is actually a tiny bit bigger than the hole it belongs on. That's why you need a puller/installer to replace the pulley.

The fact that you are starting to get it when the steering load changes, and the charging indicator is getting involved supports the idea that the belt is slipping across all the pullies, meaning it is loose. The tensioner is what keeps it tight.

Given the symptoms and conditions you have listed I would replace the belt and tensioner (whole thing, not just the pulley) and see if it improves before spending the money to swap out the power steering system for the even more problematic manual steering system Ford managed to cook up for the Ranger.

HighMileage93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l I4
Transmission
Manual
Today I took the belt back off and checked the pulleys. The tensioner pulley has some play in it and is quiet-ish and the arm is holding pressure just fine. I spun the alternator pulley in the drive direction and it sounded like a little mouse. Spun it backwards and it was quiet. Put the belt back on and tightened the tensioner and it hasn't made nearly as much noise yet. Guess I am probably looking at a new alternator soon.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
If there is play in the tensioner pulley bearing, it should be replaced also.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Today I took the belt back off and checked the pulleys. The tensioner pulley has some play in it and is quiet-ish and the arm is holding pressure just fine. I spun the alternator pulley in the drive direction and it sounded like a little mouse. Spun it backwards and it was quiet. Put the belt back on and tightened the tensioner and it hasn't made nearly as much noise yet. Guess I am probably looking at a new alternator soon.
that sounds like brushes on the commutator/slip rings, not bearings.
either way, its possible to open the alternator and add some grease to the bearings. the seals on the front bearing are kind of difficult to remove undamaged.

Last edited:

HighMileage93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l I4
Transmission
Manual
It was the tensioner. I just replaced the whole unit and it is all quiet now. Thanks all.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
congratulations.

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine went out when we drove back to Kentucky, while driving into Memphis.

Summertime and, with all the cicada, I wasn't sure what the noise was until we got out of town and a bit more rural.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals