• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermediate axel

MackHVAC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey new member here.

I bought a 99 Ranger 4x4 manual 4.0L.
I knew going in the 4wd didn't work P.O. had pulled the CV axles out and was driving it around.

Anyway I got into it Sunday and found out the intermediate axel was also removed. My plan was to go with explorer hubs and CV axles for a live axel conversion. I got the drivers side done and went to do the passenger side and hit a wall.

I've tried the usual online searches to find the axel but I'm coming up empty. I would like to purchase it new but if I have to get it used I would rather pull it from a junkyard so I can see it in person before I buy. I can't believe this thing is so hard to find!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If I remember correctly, your year of truck only has two. It should have the Dana 35 Short Arm Long Arm axle (SLA). There is no intermediate shaft since the long arm, which part of the differential, takes care of that.

MackHVAC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Correct it's the SLA. On the left it's a male/male splined CV axle on the passenger side it's male on the outside and a female on the inside or axle side.

Inside of the axle on the passenger side/long side there is supposed to be a male/male splined shaft one side goes into the diff the other side the female end of the passenger side CV axel.

I've seen it in parts diagrams but finding one to buy has been fruitless.

https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/dana_35_sla.shtml

That's the diagram about 1/2 way down on that page. #38

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site. I would just verify that both axle ratios are the same as well before putting it in 4WD after all the missing parts are in. PO are famous for lying about things...

MackHVAC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah at this point I think I'm going to end up dropping the entire thing it doesn't look like it's ever been taken out but that really doesn't mean anything.

He said "it has bad hubs" that's why he removed what he did. I found out after the purchase with more research that a 99 rangers hubs if the "go bad" they fail unlocked (2wd). Some later models with electric locking hubs fail in 4wd.

Anyway I didn't particularly want to put a bunch of money into the 35 because ultimately I'm planning on a solid axel swap but I don't have time to get that done before I need the truck in October.

I think I'm just going to go to the local junkyard and see what I can find. I just thought there might be something I'm missing as I'm searching for the parts.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
With that being the case, it might be best to just wait on the SAS or get a junk yard front differential.

It sounds to me like there was more than a front hub issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the front end has been stripped.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I vote SAS.

MackHVAC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
With that being the case, it might be best to just wait on the SAS or get a junk yard front differential.

It sounds to me like there was more than a front hub issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the front end has been stripped.
Yeah after I started getting into it I was thinking the same thing.

The ring and pinion are still in there and I couldn't see any issues through the oil fill hole or the short side axel tube with my snake camera but that doesn't mean there isn't some.

The local JY has an explorer and a ranger that should provide the parts that I need. If either of them have a 4.10 front diff I will probably just get the whole thing if they don't want too much for it.

MackHVAC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I vote SAS.
Haha yeah that would be ideal. If I had everything I needed I would go ahead and do it.

Right now it's just not in the cards. $ is part of it but the main obstacle is time. Its the busiest time of year for me right now and trying to source all the parts and actually doing the work ain't happening till February or so.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If I remember correctly, your year of truck only has two. It should have the Dana 35 Short Arm Long Arm axle (SLA). There is no intermediate shaft since the long arm, which part of the differential, takes care of that.
Sarge, don't take offense here, but I need to correct this: all Ranger from '98 to '11 come with the same basic axle - there might be different ratios but that's only difference.

There is PHV* front axel found in '95-96 Explorers, but if it's in your Ranger, someone swapped it there. Note: It is Dana 30, not 35.

*I would sooner it was called a CAD - Central Axle Disconnect like the Jeep ones; its a more accurate description

He said "it has bad hubs" that's why he removed what he did. I found out after the purchase with more research that a 99 rangers hubs if the "go bad" they fail unlocked (2wd). Some later models with electric locking hubs fail in 4wd.
There are no electric locking hubs in a '98-'00 Ranger from Ford and after '00, they are all live axle. In fact, I've never seen electric locking hub...I'd be curious to see it.

On the other hand PVH hubs will fail to lock and fail to unlock almost in equal measures. So you can be stuck with live front (not quite stuck in 4WD as hopefully your transfer case still shifts) or no front axle (stuck in 2WD) depending on how your truck is feeling that day...

If he removed that intermediate front shaft, he went to a LOT of work - there should be a circlip on the intermediate shaft (much like the one on the driver's CV shaft) to locate the shaft in the axle, so pulling the intermediate shaft is tough - its oily and there is very little to grip on.

But the bigger issue now - there was nothing to properly locate the CV shaft, so did he completely remove it? In which case, how did he prevent road grime and worse from entering the axle/differential oil from running out??

I'd be looked for replacement axle as your current one is at very least going to need to be removed to clean it, possibly replace the intermediate shaft seal/bearing and worst the aluminum is damaged so it won't ever work right again.

MackHVAC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I was confused about the electric locking hubs I was reading/ thinking about something else at the time it got jumbled in there by accident.

Intermediate shaft is definitely gone. All I've got on the right side is a empty tube with bearings that the intermediate shaft rides on.

I cleaned and flushed everything the best I could with it in the truck but I believe you're correct it's going to have to come out at this point. Unfortunately it was just open to the elements. No rust on any of the internals that I can see definitely grit moisture in it before I cleaned it but I probably need to do a better job and that's going mean pulling it out.

How he got the intermediate shaft out I don't know but the axel tub isn't beat up so it must have been pulled right away. Both CV axles were out of it when I bought it. I knew it was going to be a project and I really didn't spend that much on it but I may have jumped the gun slightly haha

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Sarge, don't take offense here, but I need to correct this: all Ranger from '98 to '11 come with the same basic axle - there might be different ratios but that's only difference.

There is PHV* front axel found in '95-96 Explorers, but if it's in your Ranger, someone swapped it there. Note: It is Dana 30, not 35.

*I would sooner it was called a CAD - Central Axle Disconnect like the Jeep ones; its a more accurate description

There are no electric locking hubs in a '98-'00 Ranger from Ford and after '00, they are all live axle. In fact, I've never seen electric locking hub...I'd be curious to see it.

On the other hand PVH hubs will fail to lock and fail to unlock almost in equal measures. So you can be stuck with live front (not quite stuck in 4WD as hopefully your transfer case still shifts) or no front axle (stuck in 2WD) depending on how your truck is feeling that day...

If he removed that intermediate front shaft, he went to a LOT of work - there should be a circlip on the intermediate shaft (much like the one on the driver's CV shaft) to locate the shaft in the axle, so pulling the intermediate shaft is tough - its oily and there is very little to grip on.

But the bigger issue now - there was nothing to properly locate the CV shaft, so did he completely remove it? In which case, how did he prevent road grime and worse from entering the axle/differential oil from running out??

I'd be looked for replacement axle as your current one is at very least going to need to be removed to clean it, possibly replace the intermediate shaft seal/bearing and worst the aluminum is damaged so it won't ever work right again.
No offense taken. Many have gone way farther down the rabbit hole on these truck than I ever have. I help where I can but also expect that someone more knowledgeable might throw a flag. That’s why we have a forum. Share knowledge and learn as we go and hopefully get it right most of the time.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was confused about the electric locking hubs I was reading/ thinking about something else at the time it got jumbled in there by accident.

Intermediate shaft is definitely gone. All I've got on the right side is a empty tube with bearings that the intermediate shaft rides on.

I cleaned and flushed everything the best I could with it in the truck but I believe you're correct it's going to have to come out at this point. Unfortunately it was just open to the elements. No rust on any of the internals that I can see definitely grit moisture in it before I cleaned it but I probably need to do a better job and that's going mean pulling it out.

How he got the intermediate shaft out I don't know but the axel tub isn't beat up so it must have been pulled right away. Both CV axles were out of it when I bought it. I knew it was going to be a project and I really didn't spend that much on it but I may have jumped the gun slightly haha
@MackHVAC

Recognize that unless the CV shaft is bolted in the unit bearing of the live axle, the bearing is basically only held together the the seals. And it WILL come apart, often with spectacular consequences, if driven.

So, if you don't have all the parts to assemble the bearings/CVs/intermediate shaft, park it or leave the old bearing in place. PVH hub bearings are assembled such that it takes a major collision to rip them apart (but as you know they have other issues).

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have a Mountaineer I have no plans on fixing, so if you are anywhere close to me you could scrounge parts from that if needed...

MackHVAC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
@MackHVAC

Recognize that unless the CV shaft is bolted in the unit bearing of the live axle, the bearing is basically only held together the the seals. And it WILL come apart, often with spectacular consequences, if driven.

So, if you don't have all the parts to assemble the bearings/CVs/intermediate shaft, park it or leave the old bearing in place. PVH hub bearings are assembled such that it takes a major collision to rip them apart (but as you know they have other issues).

I'll keep that in mind. It's not my DD so right now it's parked and will stay that way until I get everything back together

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals