• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Interior colors

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What was the last year for the light grey interiors? My 99 has that color.

The vinyl and foam arm rests on the door panels in my interior are coming apart. I know that later models have a different design for the arm rests, I know they mount different and possibly not padded? Interested in picking up newer panels to swap in, but not having much luck finding the light grey panels. Dark grey like my dad's truck has are all over the place, but not the light grey.

I wouldn't be against doing a full interior color change, but not interested in spending the time to remove and dye everything. Black would be my preference and IIRC that was only found in the FX4 LII trucks. Good luck finding one of those around here. I might consider the darker grey color since my truck is Medium Pewter Metallic, buy finding parts trucks around here with a decent interior (or at all) and an affordable price is difficult.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had a 97 Ranger with tan interior. I installed new black armrests in it. I liked the two tone look.

Attachments

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Check the brochures that might tell you, they are on this site.
Looks like you have Medium Platinum Clearcoat Metallic (paint). Could have had either Medium Graphite or Dark Graphite interior depending on the model.
Medium graphite is kind of light grey, that sounds like what you have. Your door sticker will tell you, it's under "INT" if you're not sure but you have to decode that, it's seat type plus interior color.
I have the medium graphite I like it fine.
Here's '99 brochure the others are there too so you can find last year that had Med Graphite and what model/color trucks could have had it.
1999_ford_ranger_brochure.pdf (therangerstation.com)

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 97 Ranger with tan interior. I installed new black armrests in it. I liked the two tone look.
I really like that look

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the feedback guys. Does liik like they called it medium graphite. If this is medium, I don't want to see what light graphite would have been. Don't think these designers have ever seen graphite in their life.

Any way looks like 2000 was the last year for that color, unless it made a come back in alter years. That means it's a bust for what I had in mind, 2000 is still going to be the same panels I have.

It's all a moot point anyway. I've decided that the truck will be getting a interior color change. Almost certain it'll end up black like an FX4 LII. In the process of stripping the good panels out of my parts truck to start dying/painting for the swap. I'd sat that gets me atleast 75% of the interior parts. Might pick up the later door panels since color won't matter. There are a few broken pieces I'll need to replace, like the rocker trim on the passenger side. I might also see if I can track down the pieces for jump seat delete since those will never be used.

Basically I'll be preparing the truck for a full makeover including this interior change and a factory color repaint.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I know ive seen trucks past 2000 in grey. IIRC a guy i knows 2010 has a grey interior.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Jump seat delete would be good, gains you a little room. I'm assuming you have the rear doors; it should still be just 2 pieces of trim - center piece should be the same which is steel in my '97 not sure on 99.
97 and 99 are very different in back, '97 has no hump in the floor and why it has to have it on 99 who knows. Seats are on the sides not back on the 97. They really changed a lot.
Might have to get/make carpet to cover the uncarpeted part under seat mounts. I guess you know those things.
You'll no doubt want a bunch of panel retainers, new ones hold better. You might want Dentfix DF-625 pliers they help a lot.
What will you do w/ seat belts I don't know if you can dye them? Or find black somewhere.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the feedback guys. Does liik like they called it medium graphite. If this is medium, I don't want to see what light graphite would have been. Don't think these designers have ever seen graphite in their life.

Any way looks like 2000 was the last year for that color, unless it made a come back in alter years. That means it's a bust for what I had in mind, 2000 is still going to be the same panels I have.

It's all a moot point anyway. I've decided that the truck will be getting a interior color change. Almost certain it'll end up black like an FX4 LII. In the process of stripping the good panels out of my parts truck to start dying/painting for the swap. I'd sat that gets me atleast 75% of the interior parts. Might pick up the later door panels since color won't matter. There are a few broken pieces I'll need to replace, like the rocker trim on the passenger side. I might also see if I can track down the pieces for jump seat delete since those will never be used.

Basically I'll be preparing the truck for a full makeover including this interior change and a factory color repaint.
Keep us posted please

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know ive seen trucks past 2000 in grey. IIRC a guy i knows 2010 has a grey interior.
There were two different grays. Light gray or "medium graphite" and dark gray or "dark graphite". The dark gray went right on through to the end of production, the light gray appears to have ended around 2000. If I had a dark gray interior parts truck I'd probably swap to that and be happy. I don't and I'm not going to buy another just for that. A black interior parts truck would be nice too, but that's even less likely to happen and once again I'm not buying it just for the interior. Since I'll be using my parts truck and dying anyway, I might as well go for the black.

Jump seat delete would be good, gains you a little room. I'm assuming you have the rear doors; it should still be just 2 pieces of trim - center piece should be the same which is steel in my '97 not sure on 99.
97 and 99 are very different in back, '97 has no hump in the floor and why it has to have it on 99 who knows. Seats are on the sides not back on the 97. They really changed a lot.
Might have to get/make carpet to cover the uncarpeted part under seat mounts. I guess you know those things.
You'll no doubt want a bunch of panel retainers, new ones hold better. You might want Dentfix DF-625 pliers they help a lot.
What will you do w/ seat belts I don't know if you can dye them? Or find black somewhere.
Yes, a 4 door and I know they are very different than the pre-98 trucks even if they don't appear to be at first glance.

Yes and no to the assumption that I know these things. Yes, I know the carpet would have to be replaced/modified, new carpet is in the long term plans. No, I did/do not know what trim panels were different on the seat delete trucks.

While those are in the long term plans I'll probably start out with dying the factory carpet and with the rear jump seats. Then swap out for new carpet and seat deletes at a later time. Just depends on what components I find and when. I have a full tan interior that I can die so it won't cost me any more than the few broken pieces and materials.

I ain't got those, but this kit here should cover about anything that I need. I've already got it here waiting to be put to use. Honestly I've probably owned over 50% of the tools in that kit over the years, but they always disappear. With this kit they've got a nice stortage spot so maybe I can actually keep up with it. I've had one of those kits sitting in my Amazon cart for years, this was just a good excuse to finally pull the trigger.

For the seatbelts, I'll probably attempt to dye them, pretty sure I've seen it done successfully before. If not successful, I'll send them off to be rebuilt with new webbing. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea anyway since the retractors in my truck are getting a little sticky and I don't know what the ones in the parts truck are like.

Keep us posted please
Sure, but don't hold your breath. At a minimum I'll have to wait for the weather to warm up, and then we'll have to see how much time life, work, and school allow. Even if I start cleaning and prepping, no interior change is happening until I find some seats and a center console. Those are still a big question mark at this point. Got a line on some very nice seats for around $1500, but it'd be a long weekend trip to get them and I don't know if I want to spend that much.

Ok, I feel like I need to explain considering $1500 for a set of bucket seats. I've said in another thread that I'm using the Saleen Explorer XP8 as part of my inspiration for this build. Well Saleen used a Recaro seat as an optional upgrade for them. I have a line on a set of those Recaros (not Saleen branded) that look to be nearly new from the pictures I've seen and power everything including heat and cooling. I haven't reached out to see if they are still available, partially because I don't know when I could go, partially because I can;t get over the price. I am very tempted to though. That price tag...

Other than that I'm going to be looking for some "race seat" inspired factory seats. The top alternative at the moment is of course Mustang. Followed up by Ford's other car products, but most if not all of them I see are ~$500, plus needing repair work, color change, and/or full upholstery. By the time I get done with a set of OEM seats I'd be in them at least $1000.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
All sounds good... about the panels, I think the thing is that the rear panels on the sides, if you have seats, those panels don't go all the way to the floor in the corners, and although I haven't seen a rear-seat-delete '99 truck, I have to imagine that the panels would go all the way to the floor. I had the rear seats out on the '99 because I was going to make like a platform/storage box there and it would have to come up high enough to cover the gap. CrabGuy did this very nicely. I ended up putting the seats back in and not doing anything, because I'm likely selling the '99, but I did notice the issue - you'll see what I mean once you have the rear seats out. I had to get a small ratchet to get purchase on the torx that has very little clearance above it.

You actually don't gain all that much space taking out the seats so, not to discourage your plans, because I realize that would mean more dying (leaving rear seats in), but I'm just saying... plus you have like a little shelf there in back on the floor so it's not flat (aside from the hump).
Plus you still have the jack holder sticking out and so ideally you'd want to get that center panel without the jack holder - don't know if you can find that. I've seen it cut out and re-fabbed which would be kind of hard to do well. You can't really use a flat sheet because of bends in it (unlike '97 which is flat). I spent a while thinking how could you get rid of the jack/cover mount in the '99 and didn't come up with any decent solutions.
I think you can fit the jack and handles under the seats... or storage box or something. I don't know if that was in your plans (re-situate the jack).

That's a nice set of little non-scratch tools, thanks for showing that. Radio remover could be handy, although you can get it out by loosening the bezel and pulling it out a bit then you can get to the clips that hold it, but if you were working on it a lot you'd want the tool.

About the seats, I don't know about '99 buckets, but I know my '97 buckets are comfortable as all get out so maybe you could find stock seats (that fit) in good shape and see if they are to your liking. No heating/cooling though, just lumbar support. So they did run electric to it. I don't know why they didn't put heated seats in the stock buckets. Cooling is nice, I've had it (Saabs) but to me, I could easily live without it. If your a/c is good, that's a small cab in terms of volume, it'd cool down pretty fast. Almost might be better to put in remote start and just cool it down first?
You'd have to have the switches for the heating/cooling unless they were on the seat itself. Often they have low-med-high for the heat and maybe for the fan for the cooling.
There is a section here on TRS about seats interchange so you don't end up fabbing seat rails etc.
It just depends where you want to put your dollars and how much work is involved.

In the '97 the rear seats are on the sides not the back and it seems like they aren't really 'in the way' like the '99's are, you kind of don't see them, by comparison.

I know I sound like I'm discouraging the project, and if that's your truck you are going to keep a long time then I understand why doing it makes sense. I'm just saying for 1500 you could get a set of the nicest tires you want and that's something that would contribute to resale value (if you needed tires) but re-doing the interior won't really add sale value over and above just setting it back stock, which would be way less work, probably could find the parts for a few hundred tops, if that, and it'd be simple, and it would add a lot to resale value, I know myself it turns me off a lot when interior is ratty even though it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how the truck runs, I suppose.

Coming at it from a project management standpoint, just make sure you know what all is involved and have scoped out how you're going to do it before you start, you don't want to be halfway through and run into an un-solvable problem.

It might be hard to find decent seats at a good price. Usually they are pretty beat. For some reason in my '97 it looks like they never sat in it but they must have to drive 125k miles. They just took good care of it.
I learned one thing a long time ago, don't stick a screwdriver/tool in your back pocket then go sit in the seat, you can end up putting a nice hole in it.

Here's the TRS info Ford Ranger Seat Swap - The Ranger Station

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
All sounds good... about the panels, I think the thing is that the rear panels on the sides, if you have seats, those panels don't go all the way to the floor in the corners, and although I haven't seen a rear-seat-delete '99 truck, I have to imagine that the panels would go all the way to the floor. I had the rear seats out on the '99 because I was going to make like a platform/storage box there and it would have to come up high enough to cover the gap. CrabGuy did this very nicely. I ended up putting the seats back in and not doing anything, because I'm likely selling the '99, but I did notice the issue - you'll see what I mean once you have the rear seats out. I had to get a small ratchet to get purchase on the torx that has very little clearance above it.
I said: "No, I did/do not know what trim panels were different on the seat delete trucks."

What I meant was more along the lines of I wasn't aware that there were 4 door seat delete trucks. I knew that the 2 door extended cabs were available without jump seats. I've seen those myself, but not a 4 door seat delete. Ofcourse it would make sense that the panels are different since they are clearance for the seats and seat belts.

You actually don't gain all that much space taking out the seats so, not to discourage your plans, because I realize that would mean more dying (leaving rear seats in), but I'm just saying... plus you have like a little shelf there in back on the floor so it's not flat (aside from the hump).
Plus you still have the jack holder sticking out and so ideally you'd want to get that center panel without the jack holder - don't know if you can find that. I've seen it cut out and re-fabbed which would be kind of hard to do well. You can't really use a flat sheet because of bends in it (unlike '97 which is flat). I spent a while thinking how could you get rid of the jack/cover mount in the '99 and didn't come up with any decent solutions.
I think you can fit the jack and handles under the seats... or storage box or something. I don't know if that was in your plans (re-situate the jack).
It isn't about space, it's because I think they are stupid. They only reason they exist is so they could say in the sale brochure that it seats 5 people. Perhaps when they began putting them in rangers they were usable for children, but with the safety laws in place now they can't even be used for that. There are no adults in my family that can fit back there and any children old enough to go without a car seat are too big as well. The small amount of added space is just a bonus.

The additional dying of the rear seat parts isn't really a consideration. I'm taking those from the parts truck and it's only a little more work to dye them too. I'll be installing them until and/or unless I find the seat delete panels. I might not care for the jump seats, but I'd rather have them than the empty spaces where they obviously should be.

I wouldn't want to get rid of the jack cover or mount, where would I store the jack? Won't have room under seats if I get to do what I want in that department. Sure, I could have it rattling around in the bed, but why when there's a perfectly good storage location built in. It doesn't make sense to me to remove the factory storage location just to replace it with a storage box sitting in the floor back there.

That's a nice set of little non-scratch tools, thanks for showing that. Radio remover could be handy, although you can get it out by loosening the bezel and pulling it out a bit then you can get to the clips that hold it, but if you were working on it a lot you'd want the tool.
That works in a Ranger, but not all Fords are that easy. To take the radio out of my F-250 that way I'd have to remove half the dash.

I'm really liking that tool set. Put it to work in the couple of hours of daylight after work yesterday and finished most of the interior plastics in the parts truck Good set of non-marring pry tools, but those clip pliers are the real VIP. Use the pry tool to get a little space under the clip head, then slide those pliers under there and pop it right out. The metal pry bar tools also work great on clips where you aren't worried about damage.

About the seats, I don't know about '99 buckets, but I know my '97 buckets are comfortable as all get out so maybe you could find stock seats (that fit) in good shape and see if they are to your liking. No heating/cooling though, just lumbar support. So they did run electric to it. I don't know why they didn't put heated seats in the stock buckets. Cooling is nice, I've had it (Saabs) but to me, I could easily live without it. If your a/c is good, that's a small cab in terms of volume, it'd cool down pretty fast. Almost might be better to put in remote start and just cool it down first?
You'd have to have the switches for the heating/cooling unless they were on the seat itself. Often they have low-med-high for the heat and maybe for the fan for the cooling.
There is a section here on TRS about seats interchange so you don't end up fabbing seat rails etc.
It just depends where you want to put your dollars and how much work is involved.
No, just no. I think the buckets might be better than the split bench, but still not what I have in mind. I want more of a sports car seat. Even if they were, finding a decent set in my locale would be near impossible. I've hit up junkyards for parts on these trucks a lot over the years. Local yards just don't get them or they are ragged out before they get there. It's not like other parts of the country where trucks rust out before they wear out, down here they wear out long before they ever get taken off the road. When the do hit the yards, they don't tend to last long before being crushed.

Have you ever lived in the south? I know your profile says Virginia which is considered a southern state for some reason, but I mean the real south. I'm taking south of Birmingham, AL or Atlanta, GA. Being down here I'm more interested in ventilated seats than heated. I don't need either, but it would be a nice/interesting addition. For my seat swap those and power controls are secondary to the form and function. The goal is to get something well bolstered and supportive for handling curves a bit bit faster than it should, while still being comfortable enough to spend a full day behind the wheel driving.

Switches won't be an issue. The high dollar seats I'm considering have all controls built into the them, just have to supply power. If I end up needing switches the head unit that I'm about to install can be use to control them if I add an additional component, and maybe a 3 way switch if needed.

I know the seat swap articles on the site. They are woefully outdated, but would also be super difficult to update due to the number of potential variables. Basically nothing in the article will work for me, largely because most of the suggestions are too old and unavailable in this area, but also because I don't particularly care for those options and think there are many newer and better possibilities. Nearly any seat I'd want to install is going to take some work adapting seat tracks.

I've dropped too much on thing way worse than a set of seats. Doesn't stop me from being hesitant about spending the money. Also doesn't help that there is almost no way to try before you buy. There's no place around here that I can go plop my backside in this set of Recaros, and I don't know people with most of the other donor vehicles I've considered to try them out either. There aren't even any u-pull-it yards in the area that I could go browse.

In the '97 the rear seats are on the sides not the back and it seems like they aren't really 'in the way' like the '99's are, you kind of don't see them, by comparison.
Yes the design of the 97 (and maybe 98+ 2 door) jump seats is much better. If they had dome something similar for the 4 doors we wouldn't even be talking about this.

I know I sound like I'm discouraging the project, and if that's your truck you are going to keep a long time then I understand why doing it makes sense. I'm just saying for 1500 you could get a set of the nicest tires you want and that's something that would contribute to resale value (if you needed tires) but re-doing the interior won't really add sale value over and above just setting it back stock, which would be way less work, probably could find the parts for a few hundred tops, if that, and it'd be simple, and it would add a lot to resale value, I know myself it turns me off a lot when interior is ratty even though it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how the truck runs, I suppose.

Coming at it from a project management standpoint, just make sure you know what all is involved and have scoped out how you're going to do it before you start, you don't want to be halfway through and run into an un-solvable problem.
You can leave that project management BS where you found it. :flipoff: <Intended to sound funny, not serious> Seriously though I deal with that project management stuff enough at work. I understand the importance, but you need to understand that my project expectations and goals may be much different that yours.

I bought this truck in '05 with ~90K miles, and have driven it through 200K+. I dumped way more money into fixing a 4.0L than I ever should have. I'm planning a seat swap and interior color change. I've just installed new speakers and am about to install an aftermarket headunit and amp. I'm looking to repaint and do some cosmetic up grades in the next year or two. I'm planning to stash away an AWD 5.0L Explorer for the next time it needs major engine or transmission work. To top it all off its a 4x4 and I'm going to be lowering it (as much as a 4x4 can) and putting smaller street tires on it. Speaking of tires, I've got a couple of years worth of driving left in the ones on it so I don't need to save money for that, but fortunately they are already sized pretty close to what I need for the amount I'm going to lower.

Several years ago I put in my signature that I needed to sell the truck. It never happened, realistically I probably never really wanted to get rid of it. I don't sell vehicles, I've still got all that I've owned except for three. In 22 years of vehicles ownership I've donated one to a tech school and totaled one (actually still have it), and scrapped a parts truck. I've since decided I'm going to keep it and build it instead of failing again on a nice first gen, I just haven't changed my signature.

Resale value is not a consideration. Even if I am forced into selling something I don't expect to make any profit off of any modifications I make and understand that they may decrease value if not to the right buyer. As for setting it back stock to sell, everything I'm doing on the interior is "bolt in". I'm gutting a parts truck interior to dye then swap in. Stock interior will probably go in the loft of the storage shed and can be reinstalled at any time.

Oh and there is no such thing as an un-solvable problem on a vehicle, just solutions that you may not like.

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I'm with you 100%. Ford Ranger interiors are kind of boring. Installing something different certainly works for me. I'm bought buckets on Facebook Marketplace for $200.00. These are from a Subaru Forester, not an exact fit, but can be adapted. They are black, not that boring gray.

Some of you who live in warmer climes might prefer fabric. I dunno. To each his own. .I lived south of the Mason Dixon for many years and never felt uncomfortable sitting on leather. I find it easier to keep clean.

Attachments

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Some of you who live in warmer climes might prefer fabric. I dunno. To each his own. .I lived south of the Mason Dixon for many years and never felt uncomfortable sitting on leather. I find it easier to keep clean.
I dunno, never had leather. All my trucks have had fabric, except for partial vinyl on the seat of my 84 and vinyl in the F-100. The 84 was mostly fabric though and the F-100 was quickly swapped out for cloth bench from a 90s F-150. My car is "suede" and sport mesh? I think the suede is actually synthetic microfiber stuff. The Recaros are probably more of a microsuede than a leather like what you show on the Subaru sets.

I've sat on a lot of vinyl seats around work over the years and those do suck when its hot out and you've worked up a sweat. Vinyl isn't leather though.

Last edited:

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Yes I did live in Little Rock a while, it's pretty hot there. I get it.

I didn't realize the background on the truck, now it makes perfect sense. You covered everything.

I agree about losing the seats, it's just extra weight. I guess some people use them, but I think it's pretty rare.

When it's done please post pics.

I realize this isn't in your plans but just in case you hadn't seen it here's what CrabGuy did to lose the seats but still looks cosmetically nice and there's a lot of storage space in it so the jack goes there. What he did to cover the jack holder is run a cargo net across the back.
P1010119.JPG

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals