• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Interior colors

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes I did live in Little Rock a while, it's pretty hot there. I get it.

I didn't realize the background on the truck, now it makes perfect sense. You covered everything.

I realize this isn't in your plans but just in case you hadn't seen it here's what CrabGuy did to lose the seats but still looks cosmetically nice and there's a lot of storage space in it so the jack goes there. What he did to cover the jack holder is run a cargo net across the back.
That's more south, but it's still not this south.

Oh trust me, there's a lot that I left out on the background of this truck. Covering all of that would require a novel, or atleast several long paragraphs. I'd love to drive my first vehhicle forever, unfortunately since I wrapped it around a pecan tree back in 2009 (RIP - '84) that is not possible. This truck is the second best thing, it was my second vehicle and the first that I purchased. We've had our rough patches through the years, but it has always gotten me home even if it did literally quit at the end of the driveway.

I hadn't seen his, but I have seen similar. If I were going to do something like that it would be to build a low profile sub box. I would probably build around the jack compartment leaving it acessable. I doubt that'll happen, probably going to end up with an 8" powered subwoofer under the seat of there's room if I have a sub at all. Other possiblity would be a locking storage box for long guns, again building around the jack storage compartment.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
FX Impact would be nice. If you're into that. They seem crazy accurate and have to be a lot cheaper to shoot than centerfire. Rifle itself pricey.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
FX Impact would be nice. If you're into that. They seem crazy accurate and have to be a lot cheaper to shoot than centerfire. Rifle itself pricey.
:icon_confused: Huh?

I was wondering how we got on the subject of firearms, was wondering if you accidentally posted here until I remembered I mentioned making a lockbox for long gun in the back of the cab. Once I figured that out I had to go look up to see what you were talking about.

No thanks! To each his/her/its own, but I like for my bang sticks to go bang. Price isn't my only dislike with them, but you mentioned being cheaper to shoot and it is an easy metric to look at. The air rifle you mentioned carries a $2K price tag, plus you've got to get the equipmewnt for filling the tank as a standard air compressor won't work. For the price of all thing I could build a nice AR (or two) and quiten it down. Not that I need to build another AR. I've already got something to quiten it down, though having a Form 4 would probably be nicer than the Form 1 I have now. I have no shortage of boom stuff, just a shortage of time to use them.

That unit you name is essentially an air rifle version of a 22lr, as such I can't compare it to a centerfire rifle. Rimfore sure, but not centerfire. Obviously there are different grades of pellet that are going to cost differnt, but I can't expect it to work well with what you'd find on the shelf at WalMart. Going on the ammo mentioned by the article where I read about the impact you're looking at around 10 cent round for the air rifle pellets. Well 22lr is also around 10 cent a round. As such I'd say its about the same price to shoot. I can pick up a Ruger 10/22 for less than $300. Hell since the air rifle is practically silent, lets throw in a silencer for the 10/22. That adds another 500-600 after the tax stamp. I can get a silenced 10/22 with $1000 worth of ammo to match the price of the air rifle, and after that they cost essentially the same to run. At this point I'd say that the traditional bangstick wins out in affordability.

The add the fact that the air rifle is going to run out of propellent, the traditional cartridge has propellant built in. Once the air tank goes enpty you're done playing with your air rifle, while you can keep going with your rimfire as long as you have bullets. You can get a portable manual air pump to carry around with the rifle, but I can't imagine getting the tank up to 3000 psi is going to be quick or easy.

Also FWIW I've been through this with a co-worker before in the past and looked into them a fair bit back then. He swore by air rifles, and he spent tons of money on higher caliber units. His main reasoning was that he thought he was getting one over on the government since their sales weren't traced/traced and didn't require background checks. The irony being that he works for the federal government, holds a security clearance, and is required to go through periodic background checks. While I can't say I didn't have as much money tied up in firearms, mine were more practical, more useful, and more plentiful.

Not saying they don't have their place, exterminators used to use them for clearing pidgeons out of hangars at the base and they worked great for that. I think that down in FL they are used a lot for iguana extermination in urban areas. It isn't necessarily cheaper and it isn't for me.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
No argument with any of your points, just a few comments.
To compare .22LR in terms of accuracy you'd spend about as much, Ruger is never going to match an FX for accuracy, when they (youtube etc) do the compare they are using high end .22LR target rifles.
Like the trucks it just depends what do you want to do with it. For plinking probably you'd want to compare a cheap PCP to the Ruger.
Cost aside, there are legal considerations. Air gun you can shoot in town, firearm, no. If you live in the country then that wouldn't matter.
Also if a person can't own guns for legal reasons, they can still target shoot or hunt. Bummer for them, but at least they can still shoot something.
There is associated equipment and finicky tuning for PCP's that you don't have for firearms. Although target shooters usually load their own ammo, that's work, and no difference in sighting-in etc.
Depending on caliber and tank etc you might get 100 shots from a tank and you can change them out. On an outing you probably wouldn't shoot more than that.
Air gun you can shoot in town...that said, I imagine if you were in your yard with a badass looking PCP gun with a scope and bipod equal or greater in power to a .22LR, it would take about 3 minutes before somebody called the cops on you. So while legally you can, practically speaking, you probably can't, not without a lot of hassles. It doesn't make a lot of sense because .22 PCP or .22 LR are identical ballistically if the PCP rifle is set up so. Just less noise (yes I know the silencer covers that on the Ruger). Plus most yards aren't big enough to get 100-150 yards, if they are, you're probably already in the country anyways.
Wind probably affects PCP more compared to say .25-06. I don't think you'll ever get 3k fps from them. They aren't firearms. You'll never be driving a 255 grain slug with them, I don't imagine.
So they have a place, but, certainly not for everyone. Bottom line on-topic is, if you have a storage box, you can put some kind of rifle/pistol in there plus all the associated stuff.... then it's always there when you want it and it's not visibly tempting someone to break into it. I have a box in the bed, but usually it's carrying fishing gear, later, maybe off-road stuff. For me I think I'd just put things behind the seat and draw the cargo cover so you can't see them, which probably explains its intended use. Mine does not retract easily, you have to jiggle it and mess with it, because I think it was never used and sate there 25 years. It looks like I need to take off the rear corner panels to get the thing out and free it up. It's basically a window blind. The other thing is if you put it in place it limits the extreme rearward travel of the seat... not sure if that's an issue, it wouldn't be when parked, but still. So I guess I should fix that... was going to ignore it, but it's the last thing that doesn't work right (that I know about) so might as well go for it, just have to get some spare panel retainers, I like to put new ones they hold better than used ones.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals