• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intake Spacer

steiner_5000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im looking for an intake spacer for my 2.9. Any good suggestions on where to find one or am i gonna have to build one?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
what do you mean by an intake spacer? like throttle body? or plenum spacer?

regardless what are you trying to gain from this?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If I understand what you want, and why, correctly, you have little to gain from an intake spacer. If you are looking for something similar in function to a carb spacer it isn't nearly as effective at getting the air and fuel to mix better on a fuel injected engine because the fuel isn't being introduced any farther from the valve.

If you just want to get more air flowing in faster, go check out the tech library. There is an article there about how to fit a 5.0 throttle body to a 2.9 intake. That will likely get you much closer to your goal, assuming it's what I think it is.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
true, throttle body spacers and intake spacers are pointless on an injected engine... a bigger throttle body just changes the percent throttle opening to percent power ratio, with a bigger throttle it will be more sensitive near closed and you will reach max power by about 1/2 throttle...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I just wanted to know what exactly he was talking about n to say not to waste the money.. I thought about the throttle body spacer when I was younger but then I came to realize how much it DOESN'T help.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Spacers are only really effective on carb'd engines (which the 2.9L is not).

When any sort of intake or throttle body spacer is added on a fuel injected motor, it either results in no true gain (well, you may be conned into believing that there was a change but a dyno will typically disagree), or reduces the actual performance.

There are upgrades that can be done to a 2.9 to get more performance, I've looked into it a bit. But realistically, the best upgrade is a bigger motor for performance.

It IS possible to change the cam, bore out the cylinders a bit, add a Scorpio intake with twin throttle bodies, convert to a MAF (mass air flow) setup, and a few other tweaks on a 2.9 to get more power. I don't know what doing all of that sort of thing to a 2.9 would net for gains, but I do know it would take a lot of time and a bit of money - and dropping a 5.0L in would probably get you better performance for less time and money.

DavisRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” body lift
Tire Size
31x10.50R15LT
If anyone has an idea of where I can find plenum spacers, please let me know. I’m in the middle of a rebuild on my 2.9L. It’s being bored +30, putting on headers, switched to 4 hole injectors, upgraded the cam, dropping flat head pistons in it and MAF.

don’t waste my time with the 4.0 swap or 302 swap, not interested. Plus, I have a second 2.9L block that I’m going to use as a tester, to see how much HP&TQ I can get out of one.

I have a buddy who has a dyno, he builds drag cars, and I plan on putting my current build on the dyno, so we can actually see what kind of gains these upgrades will do.

if they don’t make them, I’ll have a buddy water jet them for me..

DavisRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” body lift
Tire Size
31x10.50R15LT
Did PJ make a second account? ^^^^^
🤷🏼‍♂️, idk who PJ is lol. Just trying to get some info and having one heck of a time finding it.

I’m assuming, the 5.0 throttle body mod is the answer.. but I’d prefer to not go that route on this particular motor. I’ll do all the “crazy” stuff to the other motor.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
He's referring to @PetroleumJunkie412. He's pretty much our resident guru on the 2.9 and how to modify them.

We have a few knowledgeable members on that engine but he seems to be the one who pushes the envelope the most on what can and can't be done. We'll have to wait for him to log in. He'll be able to help.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
If anyone has an idea of where I can find plenum spacers, please let me know. I’m in the middle of a rebuild on my 2.9L. It’s being bored +30, putting on headers, switched to 4 hole injectors, upgraded the cam, dropping flat head pistons in it and MAF.

don’t waste my time with the 4.0 swap or 302 swap, not interested. Plus, I have a second 2.9L block that I’m going to use as a tester, to see how much HP&TQ I can get out of one.

I have a buddy who has a dyno, he builds drag cars, and I plan on putting my current build on the dyno, so we can actually see what kind of gains these upgrades will do.

if they don’t make them, I’ll have a buddy water jet them for me..
Did PJ make a second account? ^^^^^
lets see... @DavisRanger do you have a working 4.0 out behind your garage that you use to urinate on?

Lol

AJ

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
lets see... @DavisRanger do you have a working 4.0 out behind your garage that you use to urinate on?

Lol

AJ
He's asking because I do 👍🏿

Sup.

I have the vector files I used to CNC my plenum spacer. You're wasting your time with the Ranger upper. It can't feed it past 3500k, where they need to be, even on a trick cam. Lots of other crap from me scattered around.

My megasquirt tunes are in the tech article section.

In the middle of redesigning trinity V8 pistons for off the shelf use with 302 5.400 rods.

Build thread is in my signature. Working on big single or Audi twin turbo build. I'm doing glyptal. So. We wait.

There's a sticky on the 2.9 forum of UK info.

Been tracking down stuff on these for a year or two.

Talk to @DPDISXR4Ti over at Merkur car Club.

Talk to frofix racing on eBay.

Call Tom Morana. Learned more from him in 30 mins than I did in a month of googling

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Some history mixed with ramblings and rhetoric.

@Will never replied. I consider him vanquished. 😝

Last edited:

DavisRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” body lift
Tire Size
31x10.50R15LT
lol! The swap happy guys just blow my mind sometimes.

Thanks for the info, I’m definitely going to be doing digging on this motor. I’ll check out your threads for sure.

I’ve been doing a ton of work on the truck since I got it. Now that I have some direction with mechanical upgrades/changes I’m looking forward to experimenting lol.

He's asking because I do 👍🏿

Sup.

I have the vector files I used to CNC my plenum spacer. You're wasting your time with the Ranger upper. It can't feed it past 3500k, where they need to be, even on a trick cam. Lots of other crap from me scattered around.

My megasquirt tunes are in the tech article section.

In the middle of redesigning trinity V8 pistons for off the shelf use with 302 5.400 rods.

Build thread is in my signature. Working on big single or Audi twin turbo build. I'm doing glyptal. So. We wait.

There's a sticky on the 2.9 forum of UK info.

Been tracking down stuff on these for a year or two.

Talk to @DPDISXR4Ti over at Merkur car Club.

Talk to frofix racing on eBay.

Call Tom Morana. Learned more from him in 30 mins than I did in a month of googling

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
lol! The swap happy guys just blow my mind sometimes.

Thanks for the info, I’m definitely going to be doing digging on this motor. I’ll check out your threads for sure.

I’ve been doing a ton of work on the truck since I got it. Now that I have some direction with mechanical upgrades/changes I’m looking forward to experimenting lol.

View attachment 43320
WANT

Jerk and all your rust free bodywork..... *kicks dirt*

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals