• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intake Manifold Gasket

saveatreeeatabeaver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L
Transmission
Manual
Within the next day or so, I'll be replacing the intake manifold gasket. The truck had been running poorly for a while; after a few hundred miles of horrible idle, the hissing noise and a can of carb cleaner pinpointed the problem. I'd already replaced fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve, and a few hoses. It's now to the point that it usually won't even start, it'll just turn over and over.

I'm curious if anyone has any advice for the replacing the gasket or if there is anything else I should do while I've got the intake manifold off.

Vehicle in question is a 1996, 2.3 liter, XLT with a little over 200k.

Thanks in advance,
Russell

Last edited:

super91(2.3)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1996
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
2.3/ 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
im not sure if there is a line (vacuum i think) going to the bottom of the upper intake manifold on your truck, but do not forget it, it hides itself well underneath the manifold.

tcranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 and a 1986
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo and a n/a
Transmission
Manual
just make sure of the gaskets that come in your kit also. i got a head gasket kit and it didn't come with the throttle body gasket. so just don't shoot yourself in the foot by taking apart something you don't have a gasket to put back together. also if your valve cover gasket is leaking this is the best time to do that too.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Change the spark plugs if they're due. It will be 100x easier with the manifold off.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
While you have it off,you might as well change the PVC valve and clean out the crankcase breather.

saveatreeeatabeaver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L
Transmission
Manual
Spotted a massive head gasket leak while slowly reassembling everything. It's been a fun ride, but she's bricked; head gaskets are too expensive and way over my head.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Head gaskets are actually as easy to do as the intake...ten bolts off and get a torque wrench...they're easy to use especially if you get the ones that click...or stop clicking when they reach the set torque...

If the head is damaged then you would have to find another one...and they can be fairly inexpensive (under $100) at the junkyard...but take it to a shop and have it tested for cracks...if there are cracks...take it back and swap it for another one...so make sure you're dealing with one that has a return option...and plenty of 2.3 engines to choose from...

Try to find a low mileage one and the chances are you won't have to rebuild it...this can greatly reduce your costs...mine cost about $600 to rebuild including the head, planing, and new valves...you might even be able to do it yourself as there are instructions available on this site...

Fixing a truck that you know is way cheaper than buying one with problems that you don't know about...

Depends on what you can afford I guess...but don't give up on it just because of a cracked head...unless you've got other issues like rust to deal with...like my Zuki...if the body wasn't shot and it didn't need struts and major body work I would have fixed the engine (cracked the head on it)...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals