• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intake manifold gasket replacement?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
How long should it take me (average time) to remove and replace my upper and lower intake manifold gaskets on my 2.9?

Also any tips on this and things to do and check while I'm in their?

Thanks,
Nate

michowski

Reaction score
never worked on a 4 banger but 3.0 and 4.0 can take around 3 hours. Removing the alternator, intake, ac, valve covers. I would replace your valve cover gaskets, both intake gaskets (silicone them up with a new gasket and on the block itself around the jackets). Its really an easy job and shouldnt take you longer then an afternoon to do it.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Took me 6-8 hours I believe, not counting the time I spent dicking around and drinking beer. I like to take my time on stuff though, make sure I'm not screwing shit up. Sometimes you just take more apart than you have to, but don't realize until it's apart..

Digging into something blindly will always take a lot longer, I could probably do it realistically in 5-6 hours now that I know how it goes.

Fuel lines do not need removed, but that's up to you. I am better at installing injectors than I am at the fuel lines themselves (I feel safer about it anyway).

I don't believe any accessories will need removed (maybe A/C?). Water is going to go everywhere in the lifter valley once the old intake is lifted out - you will need to change oil after the fact.

Other than that it's strait forward; use torque wrench and proper sequence on the lower intake and you should be good. That's the critical part, absolutely make sure that gasket is right.

Pete

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
No more AC so no problem there. Looks easy enough except as stated to take lots of care when lining things up (lower gasket) and following the exact bolt torquing etc.

Psychopete, I too take longer than needed because I only want to do it once. :) And I like to be surgically clean on gaskets and engine parts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals