• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Instrument Panel Lights

Wayne.Alx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm trying to replace the existing instrument panels lights with LED type. The problem is that the LEDs are polarity sensitive whereas the existing bulbs are not. How can I determine the correct way to insert the LEDs or test the panel before reinstalling and finding out that they are in backwards?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Might be able to look at the traces to follow power/ground? Or leave the bulbs out and provide power/ground to the wires in the diagram?

steve01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97-99
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4l
Transmission
Automatic
I changed mine in my 2003 and just left the cluster hooked to the plugs and turned on the parking lights. Took a little reaching around but did the job in about 30 min.

Wayne.Alx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
As it turns out, tried a checking for common ground with multimeter, but did not work. Then as steve01 indicated, just put in the bulbs and plugged in.
Thought I had everything finally with right polarity, reinstalled and found I missed the cruise control indicator light, so I guess I'll need to do it again. Thanks for your responses. It really insane what the dealer wants for one light ($42 each) when you can get the whole set of 10 for $15! Crazy.

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Next time, look at the description of the leds, because they do make non-polarity leds.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals