• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Instrument panel lights 2003 ranger

Lakewood ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,
I have three bulbs burnt out on the instrument cluster. I took it apart and replaced all of them, and of course the three are still not working.
Does any body have any suggestion? Have there been reported problems with the circuit traces breaking down requiring jumpers? Can you even solder in jumpers on the board?
And how hard is it to test the panel on the bench before I put it back together.
Any and all advice is appreciated.
In the dark
Lakewood Ranger

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Which 3 bulbs are the issue?
Have had simular tribulations with my 2001 InstrumentCluster lamps.
Once the cluster assembly is completely out of the truck & on your bench:
~ Use low pressure air to blow dust out of the cluster & the dash while you've got it open.
~ Remove each bulb socket 1 at a time from the flex circuit board on the foreside of the cluster assembly
~ Remove the bulb from the socket, clean each socket with swabs + electrical spray or alcohol
~ Use a JewelersMini FlatHead ScrewDriver to gently align\tighten the contacts on each socket
~ Clean the corresponding circuit board contact points, gently straighten & slightly bend outward each contact point
~ If the flex circuit board or harness connections are damaged, repair\replace as needed
~ Before re-installing, check each bulb with an OhmMeter: open circuit = bad bulb
~ Make sure the bulb leads are not broken & aligned proper then re-insert into socket
~ Again check ohms across each bulb+socket subassembly, then re-install into circuit board.
~ Dont be tempted to replace cluster Bulbs with LEDs: they're polarized, several glow when they should be off, they flicker when dimmed, & dont last!
~ Spray a small amount of silicone lube into the Speed\OdoMeter mechanism while you got the cluster on the bench.
~ Now is a good time to open the SteeringColumn ClamShell: Inspect+Clean+Lube those Elec\Mech items, Check for notorious OD Switch CableChaffing.
~ Re-enforce Connectors+Cables with Elec Tape+Ties as needed
Job is a bit tedious, but take your time & work logically.
Details of my own adventure with the InstrumentCluster at

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals