• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Instrument light replacements

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks to this site for carrying the instructions with clear pictures for replacing instrument panel bulbs. That helps a lot. Having the bulb number needed is another big help.

The Haynes manual says to "remove the radio", which did not seem to make sense. Now I see I just need to loosen the trim piece around the radio to be able to remove the trim around the instruments.

Haynes manuals have their weak areas...

Here's our site:

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Here's an important note about the instrument cluster lights. The later Rangers, apparently 2004 and later, do not use the 194 bulb. I discovered this after tearing apart the dash.

The replacement is the smaller Toshiba V-2 bulb and socket, which are attached together and replaced as a unit. They are removed from the back of the cluster in the same way as the 194 bulb and socket, but you cannot pull the Toshiba lamp out of the socket. NAPA had a similar bulb/socket that did not fit well, but for now I was able to make the NAPA unit work. The V-2 is available online from different sources. Apparently it is used in several different cars in gauge clusters.

The turn signal indicators in the later Rangers take the V-2 as well. I am ordering enough to replace all of the cluster bulbs, which is 10 instead of 6. The 10 include the turn signal indicators.

The V-2 is available as a socket only from some vendors and would take the 74 bulb. But you cannot remove the bulbs from the OEM units in my Ranger.

This is important news and I thought the rest of you might need this info.

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My fuel gauge light is burned out, as is one of the climate control bulbs. I can still see everything just fine, so I am choosing not to go through this PITA procedure until much, much later. LOL!

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Got the Toshiba V-2 light/socket units from eBay and replaced all 10 last Friday. Everything works now.

The ones I got were identical to the ones removed, with the bulb made into the socket assembly. These sockets twist out counterclockwise to release from the instrument circuit board just as the 194 sockets would. The difference is that you replace the socket and bulb as a unit, instead of just the bulb.

Three of the 10 are the turn signal and high beam indicators, but I replaced them anyway. The others are the actual gauge lights.

To repeat: the later Rangers do not use the 194 bulb, but these Toshiba units. Auto parts stores don't necessarily have them, as I found, so look for the V-2 online.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Anyone have experience with 194 LEDs? I’m afraid to convert cause dimming might be an issue.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The Toshiba V2 is a socket type. I'm not sure the bulb number but you should definitely be able to remove the bulb and replace it without installing a new socket.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
The Toshiba V2 is a socket type. I'm not sure the bulb number but you should definitely be able to remove the bulb and replace it without installing a new socket.
I think it’s a #74 bulb. No telling how many other designations there are for it. I hate bulb designations. I think base type is the most important. 194 is a T5? A slew of other bulbs will fit but don’t know the difference.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pictures online show the V2 as a socket type. Maybe older versions were. The reality with the ones my Ranger had and the replacements from eBay is that the bulb was captive in the socket and had to be replaced as a unit. Trying to remove the bulb breaks it, no matter how careful you are.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Anyone have experience with 194 LEDs? I’m afraid to convert cause dimming might be an issue.
Tried several years ago replacing all the
6each T10\161\194 BackLamp Bulbs & 16each T5\906\912 DutyLamp Bulbs
with LEDs in my 2001 InstrumentCluster.
Found that LEDs will NOT properly operate in several circuits (glowing dimly when they should be fully off),
& despite advertising, LEDs were NOT as durable\simple as Bulbs; most were flickering\out in a few months.
From the start, had to keep the Dimmer fully up or the LEDs would flicker.
Since that have happily been using traditional bulbs. More info at
https://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Electrical_DashLamps

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Tried several years ago replacing all the
6each T10\161\194 BackLamp Bulbs & 16each T5\906\912 DutyLamp Bulbs
with LEDs in my 2001 InstrumentCluster.
Found that LEDs will NOT properly operate in several circuits (glowing dimly when they should be fully off),
& despite advertising, LEDs were NOT as durable\simple as Bulbs; most were flickering\out in a few months.
From the start, had to keep the Dimmer fully up or the LEDs would flicker.
Since that have happily been using traditional bulbs. More info at
https://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Electrical_DashLamps
that’s why I’m not even considering led dash bulbs. LEDs don’t play nice with typical dimmer circuits. I know there’s household led bulbs that work, but not for $0.20 per bulb.

Edit: “without” to “with”…. Now it makes sense

Last edited:

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I got lots of practice disassembling and reassembling the dash because of the bulb fiasco. Got fast at it, but I want as little additional practice in the future as I can get by with. So thanks for the warning about the LEDs. I'll skip those. Reminds me of the problems some members have had with LEDs in aftermarket headlamps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals