• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

instantly turns truck off ,,update

94 2.3T RED DANGER RANGER

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
so the other day it was raining and i just resently got a pimpx stand alone ecu for my truck 94 stepside single cab 4.0 now 2.3t swaped in it for over 4 years now and i was with the tuner guy and it keeps droping cylders with the spout hooked up off the TFI,and unpluged i got all 4 cylinders it runs great but with it out i got 20deg fixed timing that takes the timing portion away from the controler ,anyways so we tryed to get rid of the tfi and use the mag pickup only to fire the msd al6 box didnt work,and all back together and its raining mind you it will only start will cranking the starter.ok so i got ign onwith a toggle swtch,a push button start and the key for 4 years fired the alt for charging and unlocked the sterring wheel and turnd on acc.but i cranked and went over wut we had just done because it was running 20 min prior and a hour befor that so i unpluged the 3 wire plug on the alt it runs like normal just not charging and then i plug it back in instantly kills the motor tried 2 different als same thing wuts also wierd is i take the (BAT+) wire off start sol.. and connected my test light to the ring terml off the (bat+)wire and i can go from 12v+ and then to ground and the testlight lights on both then i touch it to 12v+ like its soposta be and it turns my truck off instantly....any ideas? oh itook out the harnness now and unpinned the 4.0engine harness thinking its
had a short not the case any1 ever had a problem like this can 3 different altanators from 2 different shops be bad lmk thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I have stripped all the electro tape off of the complete vehicle harness inside and out remove the dashboard everything same problem after I put it back together nobody has any ideas nobody at this whole range of community nobody has any ideas thanks are you guys around Ranger guys somebody's going to have had this problem before anybody any ideas throw them at me thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I went through and edited your F bombs.

Do not do that anymore.

It's really hard to follow what you're trying to say. It's one run on sentence...

Take a breath and try to describe what is going on without running from one thing to the next.

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
sorry well here is a nother update i coud
ld never get a reading with the volt meter being the truck turns off soon as its the alt is hooked up now idont remember if i mentioned i have a pimp ms3 ecu but this is wut i did today i took the old battery and hooked it up with jumper cables grond to my tubed bumper checked 4 continuity beeeep... next i took battery( pos+ ) off starter sol. to get it out of the equation of the vehichle harness and hooked it up to the pos+ jumper cable checked for voltage (12.34v) good......,(now i took and depinned the green/red wire that goes to the warning bulb in the car to take it out the equation on the vehichle side and left the yellow/white 12v constant wire hooked up to the key on power , ,so now i start the truck check with a volt meter cliped on the battery post on ALT-(12.25v)and slowly droping cause its still not charging yet,,,,now i got the resister off a spare cluster with wire sodard to both ends checked voltage drop through the resistor (1.98v) now i touched it to the green/red wire motor sounds like its getting a big draw from it but it stays on and now i seen that it is putting out (19.3v) so i know the alternator is working the rectifier is fliping (AC\DC,then this means the regulator is not regulating DCvoltage to 13.5-14v right?????

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals