• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

installing power windows into a ranger

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
so im getting bronco that has factory power windows with a matching red interior to my ranger so im thinking abt installing them to the ranger but have no clue how i have a parts 91 ranger that someone put power windows in but its very bad job so any help would be appreciated as to how to do the swap thanks in advance

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Electrically its not very hard to wire

20amp fused 12volts to each door, one 20amp wire split to both door switches
Key on 12v or full time, up to you

1 Ground wire to drivers door switch
2 wires from drivers door switch to passenger door switch, if you want Master switch in drivers door

If you don't want master switch then just 1 ground wire to passenger door switch

And that's it

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I doubt the 91 Ranger regulators will directly fit into a 84-1988 B2. Check RockAuto or LMC truck. The wiring harness for the power windows goes left to right across the radiator, you have to remove all that to properly do the swap, and of course the door harnesses, and switches. Do a continuity test on the harness that goes in front of the radiator. I have fixed a few RBV where the short to control the passenger side was in that harness, and the switches and door harnesses were good on both doors.

The OEM Ford motors will probably work from the 1991, I have put FSB window motors into RBV when the dealership did not have the Ranger ones in stock and the only real difference was the harness length.

If you have a center console, you can put two momentary two way switches (get ones that use a round hole) in that and do not bother running the bulky harness to each door and just run the two wires along with your speaker wires. If you have no wires at all to the doors in a proper harness, you might find using Aerostar side door type switches cleaner, though obviously they will not work when the door is open. Which might be a hassle in an accident. I would suggest a self resetting relay (lower then the fuse) to power the windows along with the fuse. I think the last ones I bought were from e-trailer.

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
I doubt the 91 Ranger regulators will directly fit into a 84-1988 B2. Check RockAuto or LMC truck. The wiring harness for the power windows goes left to right across the radiator, you have to remove all that to properly do the swap, and of course the door harnesses, and switches. Do a continuity test on the harness that goes in front of the radiator. I have fixed a few RBV where the short to control the passenger side was in that harness, and the switches and door harnesses were good on both doors.

The OEM Ford motors will probably work from the 1991, I have put FSB window motors into RBV when the dealership did not have the Ranger ones in stock and the only real difference was the harness length.

If you have a center console, you can put two momentary two way switches (get ones that use a round hole) in that and do not bother running the bulky harness to each door and just run the two wires along with your speaker wires. If you have no wires at all to the doors in a proper harness, you might find using Aerostar side door type switches cleaner, though obviously they will not work when the door is open. Which might be a hassle in an accident. I would suggest a self resetting relay (lower then the fuse) to power the windows along with the fuse. I think the last ones I bought were from e-trailer.
this bronco is an 90 and the front end and interior are identical to mine except the PW and PL, has bucket seats and center console all in red same as my ranger except i hve 60/40 seats.

my plan was to gut all four doors in the shop and put the factory power door guts and panels in the ranger doors and put the crank stuff in the bronco then id just pull the harness out of the bronco and move it to the ranger or just make a harness like RonD said.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals