• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Installing new radiator

RangerGoolz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok folks I have a small radiator leak in the 86 Ranger I just got. So immediately ordered a new aluminum radiator and planning to install this weekend. I have done these before on classic cars but thought i would ask if there are any pointers or tips I should be aware of prior to starting. I a also curious about proper procedure for filling and burping the air out of the system after the new radiator is in? Any upgrade , maintenance, or mods I need to do while I'm in there? Thanks in advance. This forum is amazing.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@RangerGoolz ,
Make the radiator cap the highest point, add coolant as needed for 3-6 temp cycles or as many as are needed; burping these usually takes me 45-1 hour since the engines warm up so slow.

It would be prudent since you may not know the complete maintenance history of the vehicle to install a new thermostat, hoses/clamps and possibly water pump and both temp gauges.

For extra cooling add an engine oil cooler. For extra fuel economy, lose the crank driven fan/clutch for an electronic fan; this single change (going to an electric fan) is responsible for the highest improvement in fuel economy for my vehicles.

Last edited:

RangerGoolz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks GAZ, so after install is complete fill with coolant and start without the cap on till warm and then add coolant as it warms up? I also have read on these forums that a 180 degree thermostat is preferable. Is the stock thermostat not 180? Last question on the temp gauges; there are two? I am not sure of their location. Thanks

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum!

My process for burping them is to fill the radiator, leave the cap off and start the truck. Refill it as it goes down. If it starts bubbling out, put the cap on and drive it a block or two, bring it back, let it cool off and repeat the process, BUT, this time, bring the engine RPM up to about 2500-3000 and fill the radiator (you will see it suck coolant down) and put the cap on, then let the RPMs drop and you should be good from there.

192/195 degree thermostat is stock. 180 is unnecessary IMO unless you regularly drive in a very hot environment where having it open sooner would be preferable. It can negatively affect your heater in cold temps. I would just run the higher temp one in Colorado.

There are two temperature related devices on the engine - the coolant temp sensor and the coolant temp sender. The former reports coolant temp to the ECM and has a big round two pin plug, the latter runs your temp gauge and has a small one wire plug. If I remember right they are both screwed into the lower intake on a 2.9.

RangerGoolz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks @AndyB. I had no idea they made such a funnel. Just ordered it. Again, this forum is amazing!

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
They’re pretty great, you can keep 1/2 gallon of coolant in the funnel, so while the air is working it’s way out you don’t have to keep pouring it into the radiator. When you’re done, there’s a stopper with a handle to close off the bottom of the funnel (you can put it back over the jug, pull up the stopper and put the coolant back in.

Junkyardexpress

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
P235/R15
Another trick is to squeeze the upper radiator hose like a priming bulb for a outboard motor. And yes those funnels work awesome. These old trucks aren't finicky to bleed like newer vehicles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals