• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

installing key less entry in manual 93-97 doors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Original Poster: 93baker

Difficulty: 5 out of 10

Time to install: 5-6hours

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation: this is a how to, install keyless entry, power locks, from jc whitney or other vendor, name brand is "valiant" into all manual doors. it is relatively easy, if you are mechanically, electrically inclined, but if you are not, it is still not that, hard just going to take a little longer. i am doing this write up because the kit is universal and is not ranger specific, this is the way i installed it this is just a guide and can be changed how ever you like. but this way i found it to work well. some of my methods do not look safe or do not look very professional, for one, i am not a professional, and i wouldnt put it in my truck if i didnt think it was safe.

click here for kit link

Tools Needed:
- basic tools, phillips screwdriver, power drill etc.
- knife (just helps to have around)
- wire strippers
--wire crimpers
-star bit driver, (i forget the exact size for the window crank)
-duct tape(its a tool)

Parts Needed:
- valiant keyless entry kit from jc whitney
- about 10ft of extra wire about 18-20 ga
- a few extra nuts and bolts. small.

sorry for the pics, i couldnt edit them in paint so i had to use the editor in photo bucket to highlight certain parts.

Steps:
0. if you want unhook you battery, i choose not to because i cant work with out music, you just have to be extremely careful.

1. start by removing your door panel (see picture) remove the screws and lift up.

2. next remove the insulation from the door, just pull it off, i know it sounds destructive but its the only way to get inside the door.

3. remove the little plastic air vent, it is held in by pushdown clips on the back,.

4. choose your mounting location, it must be a flat location. in my case my mounting location was too far from the lock rod so i used the "mounting strip" that came with the kit it extends it further. i drilled holes at the side of the vent we removed earlier. mounted the mount strip extender there with some bolts. it will make sense once you get it all in front of you. you can see the bolts and part of the strip in the 3rd pic of this step. before you mount the actuator inside the door make sure you slide the rod throught the little hole in the white peice at the top of the actuator. and attach the clamp about a half inch from the top of the rod.

5. remove the "sock" on the lock rod of the truck once you find it youll know.
you have to remove it so you can attach the clamp on the rod. and also i put another bolt at the top of the mounting strip for security.

6. once you get it mounted, take the actuator rod, and clamp it to the lock rod. by screwing it down. youll understand. once you get it secured, lock and unlock your door manually and make sure none of the moving parts hit anyting. make sure everything moves smoothly

7. once you get the actuator mounted, here comes the hardest part of the entire thing, you have to run wires through the conduit in the door.
start by removing the speaker so you can get close to the conduit.
i found it easiest to use a coat hanger or some rather stiff wire and wiggled my way through it, and then attached the wire for the acuators and pull them through. you might want to start with the passenger side it is easier because of the e-brake on the drivers side. you remove the kick panel and the other end of the conduit is behind it.

8.once you get the wire run through the conduit crimp the wire to the leads on the actuator, the kit comes with about 3-4 feet of extra wire, its only enough for one side.

tip" before you move to the next door, wire up the one actuator temporarily and test the lock, unlock functions to make sure it works smoothly.

9. repeat steps 1-8 for the other door.

10. once you get both doors mounted and wired, pop the hood.

11. i like to make things clean, so i am using the power source that ford would have used to install power locks, im just splicing the factory wires, i circled the location where i will put the fuse. pick up the fuse box, you can unattach it by unclipping 2 clips on the left side of the box, roll it over, its not going to go far, once you roll it over, remove the bottom of the box, with 6 clips (3 on each side) on the box, find the black with white stripe wire its probably about 14ga, cut it and splice your power wire. to what will be the hot side once the fuse is inserted into the vacant slot.

12. next you'll have to find away through you fire wall for your power wire. i have an auto tranny so i drilled a hole through the fire wall where i would have a clutch pedal. run the wire through the hole.

at this point heres what the inside of my truck looked like. it gets messy.

13. next you have to find a suitable ground. i used the screw under the console under the radio, since i already use it as a ground for my accent lights.

14. next splice the power wires of the actuators, the blue go with the blue, and the green go with green, i know 2 of mine are red but thats the extra wire i had for the leads to the other door

15. next splice the 2 power wires together with the wire you connected under the hood. to give it power. then connect the 3 ground wires to the ground lead.

16.at this point you will follow the vague instructions of the kit, and connect the locks modulators and receivers its simple enough its plug and play.

17. hide all your wires, i hid mine under the lip of the carpet under the dash, i mounted the receivers and such on the air duct behind the console.
i know i have lots of random wire for other stuff under the carpet, its a real fire hazard really.

18. insert fuse into fuse block to test locks, make sure all wires are connected except for the white wire. if you want to turn some lights on when you unlock/lock your vehicle use this wire, it is hot when you press the button to lock/unlock.

19. put your doors back together, i duct taped that foam padding insulation back to the door.... and i had to cut around the plastic vent, to make room for the bolts i used to attach the actuators.

20. enjoy keyless entry :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Have any photos??

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
yes i had to upload them to photo bucket that took a while.

thanks for considering my article, if you need any other pictures, or need me to clarify any grey areas, i certainly can.

thanks

josh

Last edited:

Timj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I installed it on my truck today, I love it:yahoo:. I was messing around also thinking it would be cool to get my head lights or corner lights to flash when I use the remote, I found out with a volt meter that the white wire that isn't used gets a 12v charge when I hit the lock or unlock on the remote. I ended up hooking the white wire to all the led’s that are in my cab so now the led’s light up when I lock it, I think they flash once, and when I unlock it the led’s flash twice then stay on for about 10sec, so at night I don’t get into a dark truck lol:icon_rofl: I love it!!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
yeah thats what im going to figure out next, do you have the same kit as me? how long did it take do install yours, and which white wire are you refering to?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
really great write up man!!!
i think i can use it to install a security alarm on mine.
u got some rep! :icon_thumby:

Timj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Yep same kit, and its the white wire in step 18

Timj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
It only took me like 3-4 hrs, what took the longest was running the wires behind my dash and under my carpet but it wasn't hard and was worth it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
ohh i gotcha yeah, i might mess with that today or tomorrow when ever my leds come for my dash. yeah i took me a while cuz i just took it slow, and yeah running the wires through the conduit is a pain aint it?

Timj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
ya the way you did it is a lot better lol I should of took it slow but i rushed through it. I was lucky and have my amp under my seat so the power was right there. I hated running the wires through the door, the drivers side was a pain bc of the parking brake but i just taped them to my speaker wires and fished them through (that was after some fowl words).

Check these out, it gave me a lot of ideas for leds http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196762[/URL]

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248682[/URL]
this is what Ill be doing next and wiring to the keyless entry so they come on when I lock and unlock my truck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
very sweet idea, i used the white wire to turn my foglights on when i lock/unlock the truck thanks for the tip. :)

Timj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Lol its sweet right and no prob thank you for the write up

CMC474

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I am interested in doing this because the OEM swap is just to much.

Is there any way you could hook up the stock switches so you could use them instead of having to hit the keyless entry remote while inside to unlock it?

Also will the wiring be the same for a newer Ranger? And will you still be able to mount everything without stuff getting in the way?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I am interested in doing this because the OEM swap is just to much.

Is there any way you could hook up the stock switches so you could use them instead of having to hit the keyless entry remote while inside to unlock it?

Also will the wiring be the same for a newer Ranger? And will you still be able to mount everything without stuff getting in the way?
check this out... clicky

this is for cars with power locks already.

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.slow
Transmission
Manual
Ive got power everything and i opted for the keyless entry and alarm. Hope im not getting in too deep with a more advanced system lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals