• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Installation/Thoughts on Coverlay dashpads

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
I did a quick search and didn't see any threads so I thought I would post a quick installation guide and my thoughts after installing a Coverlay dashpad. The part is intended for the use case of a dash in decent condition except for a faded out and cracked top. You purchase a dash cap made of molded ABS plastic that you then glue over the top of the dash to give you a cleaner look.

Company website: https://coverlaymfg.com/
Part I used: 12-114-DGR
Total Prep and installation time: Around 2 hours
Tools Used: battery powered drill with drill bit kit, shop towels, cleaning alcohol, 1/4 drive rachet with 7mm socket, masking tape, utility knife, box of 9mm bullets, RTV

Notes on installation:

1. Despite what the website says, this part will work fine for a '94 B3000. I have no clue why they don't have the B3000 on the correct vehicle list.

2. If you give Coverlay a color code they will match your dash color perfectly. I didn't care and chose one of the default 15 colors, dark grey in this case.

3. Preparation is the key here. Make sure that your target dash surface has all raised edges from cracks cut out or smoothed out and has been cleaned throughly so there is no grease or oil that would mar adhesion of the RTV that is included with the part. I used cleaning alcohol to prep the surface. You must also clean the underside of the part so that any paint overspray gets cleaned up. I also suggest that you have the trim bezel that goes around the center dash and the instrument cluster out when you do this. This allows good access to where the dashpad will sit on the dash in the front so that you can tape it down later to have a firm adhesion.

4. If you haven't worked with RTV, then do a little reading before you crack the tube. RTV skins relatively quickly so you have to work fast once you open the tube and make your placement on the dash in one shot so you don't wind up with a giant mess to clean. RTV likes to go everywhere you don't want it to be so working fast and precise is the trick. Measure twice cut once no?

5. In the case of the older Rangers/B Series there are 4 screws on the top of the dash that hold things down nicely up near the windshield. Masking tape works fine to keep the sides of the dashpad in place but you will need some heavy objects to keep the border around the defrost vent from popping up. I used a box of 9mm bullets. Wedged nicely up against the windshield. You will need to drill out those screwholes in the dashpad before you place it.

6. After placement, taping and heavy objects I would suggest leaving the doors open on your vehicle as the included RTV smells to high heaven. Let dry for a day or so then check out your work. I had to go back and tack down a side of the dashpad as the RTV had smeared during placement and didn't take.

And you're done! I really like the results. I'll take some pictures tomorrow so I can add them to the thread. At a price of around 140 USD I found this to be a good compromise between doing nothing or tearing out the entire dash and replacing it with another used one. It also just so happens to match the new vinyl floor I just put in so pretty pumped about that. I will make a installation guide for that as well in a separate post.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Thanks for the write up. Would like to see some pics when you can get to it.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Ask and ye shall receive. I had to wait for a ball of burning hydrogen gas to clean the horizon so I could actually take some decent pictures..

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
More photos:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
looks good @Guanfy, cant wait to see it in person. That floor looks pretty good too.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Thanks for this! I was looking for a dash cover besides the carpet ones. This is exactly what I was looking for.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Thank you for the pics. That actually looks good. Nice work on the installation, too.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Can I use spray adhesive instead of silicone? I have a lot of it.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
The dashpad came with a tube of clear RTV and the instructions for installation were designed around the use of RTV. That being said, I would imagine if the spray adhesive that you are using can handle the temps that the dash of a vehicle is going to see and can bond well with ABS plastic that it would work. One thing the installation instructions noted was to not overuse RTV on the pad, as it could cause warping later down the road. The installation instructions have you place a bead of RTV around all openings for vents and along the perimeter of the dash pad piece so I'm not sure how that would translate with spraying the entire area with adhesive.

One final thought. RTV is removable and can be cleaned off. So I imagine that if you wanted to change pads in the future in theory you could remove the existing pad, clean up your dash again and place a new one. Not sure how that would work with spray glue.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I wouldn't use spray adhesive for this procedure. RTV silicone or some kind of construction adhesive. I agree with Guanfy that RTV is ideal so it can be easily replaced in the future( if need be). RTV cuts easy with an exact-o knife and peels up pretty easy when dry, but not to the point to where it does not adhere to the parts you use it on. I have plenty of experience with RTV & spray adhesive, apples to oranges IMO

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals