• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

install 2nd gas tank

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thought this was the best place to post...

thinking about installing the 2nd gas tank in my ranger, since I have the tiny 14 gal tank. thoughts?

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't really seen any other posts about peeps doin this, but I want to. Anyone think it'll work?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's been done. It's a lot of work, and it's hard to find the parts to do it right. The switch and diverter valve can be hard to find, and since your truck uses a return-style fuel system it is important to have your diverter set up correctly or you can inadvertently overfill and overflow one of the tanks. That has a high probability of inducing a fire.

Member Bray D has the info for a company that makes a reproduction of the twin-tank Ranger's factory 13 gallon auxiliary fuel tank, which used to be the least available part for the swap.

The better (reads safer and easier) option would be to install a custom tank/fuel cell.

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. Lol.
What about installing the 2nd and hooking it up in tandem? Just hooking the two together? Obviously some custom work needed, but I'm trying to avoid taking up any of the limited space in the bed

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How do you mean "in tandem"?

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The two tanks, plumbed together. Making one tank.

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just bouncing ideas around

momule

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I remember that my old 87 F150 with two tanks had two different filler tubes as well as a switch on the dash to change from tank 1 to tank 2. I assume that the switch turned off the fuel pump in one tank and turned on the other. I would search the f-150 forums for info on specifically how that system works and duplicate it for your Ranger...it may even be that you can use the same parts from the F150 which means they'd be available in salvage yards too.

If you work it out make sure you document the process and pass along your project to the rest of us!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i put a 34 gallon tank in...its a big fat bastard. but i wanted the room after the axle for a tool drawer and batteries. outside of that look at some tanks you can place in the gunwhales so you can tandem those in.

you need at least a 3 in body lift to do a big tank like mine and a 4 inch suspension lift though. plus you have to remove all of the factory bridging and build custom....mine was wiped out from rust and 4 wheeling so when the time came to deal with it i just set it up for the big plastic tank. even then the driveshaft can be an issue.

if you dont want the aft axle area for a spare tire or tool stowage a bronco 2 tank at 23 gallons all on its own is a good way to go as well. i would just use angle iron and strapping to mount it and not waste time or money making it look like a factory install.

i use multiple fuel setups, my truck is built for different purposes so if long haul is the plan i have jump tanks that go in the bed to augment my 34 gallon tank. sometimes i have almost 150 gallons with me at the start of a run.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals