• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Input please?

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, went and checked it out today. Been damaged, you can see that,but it is 95% cosmetic. The core support behind the passenger headlight has been beat into submission by a big hammer, but the kid replaced all the headlights, the grill, etc etc....

By the way, you guys with 2.3's have my respect....those things are slow enough to drive Miss Daisy....WOW!

I think it needs a clutch....it grabs about an inch from the top. Also, it is a REALLY soft pedal. The other 2 rangers I had have had fairly stiff pedals compared to this one. Are they all that way?

Also, I popped the hood, and it has the 8 sparkplugs. He said something about the 4 on the drivers side were meant to fire on the exhaust stroke for emissions, but he fiddled with the wires and it now fires all on the compression stroke. Any one care to fill me in on whether he was yankin my chain or not?

Anywho....it looks like I am getting it. Lookin forward to gettin back on this site alot more!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Rewiring the coil packs to all fire together is supposed to give you a bit more bang...so to speak...there was a thread on here a while ago and I got the impression that there was little to gain from it and you may want to swap it back if you have to test for emissions...

My clutch is pretty loose...I've driven trucks and cars with really stiff clutches but the 2.3 in my Ranger is not like that...but it is hydraulic and you cannot tell by the pedal pressure or release point...but I'd hazard a guess and say depending on who was driving it and how many miles are on it...you probably don't need a clutch...but...

Anyway, congrats...I hope it is an extended cab with split bench seats...and you will get used to the under powered engine...although it does take some adjustment in driving habits...lol

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I live in Michigan....we apparently don't give a crap about pollution. No emissions, so inspections.....you oughta see some of the cars on the roads up here....LOL

It has 170k miles. Guy don't know if the clutch was replaced ever or not. It don't slip, but it releases WAY high.

It is extended cab, 60/40 split bench. However, I really liked the buckets in my 93, so....

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2 spark plugs per cylinder, both fire on ignition and exhaust stroke, it's not one or the other.
The waste spark system needed better combustion on these Lima engines to meet emission standards, so a second coil with 4 more spark plugs were added.
Rewiring the dual coils does help or hurt how it runs.

Yes, 4cyl in the extended cab was sluggish.

Yes, clutch is probably get toward it's end of life.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals