• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Inner tie rod install 04?

Ferris Bueller

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
On my 04 2wd 4 cylinder I replaced lower ball joints, rack bellows, inner/outer tie rods & 1 sway bar link. The inner tie rods screw into the ends of the steering rack shaft. The nut is about 1-7/16" and I don't have a wrench that big so I used a big jaw vise grip on it with a 16" pipe over the end. I tightened until the vise grip slipped. Is there a high torque setting for the inner tie rods? Also the steering rack shaft twisted some as I did this. Is that normal? I deliver pizza with this truck so it gets a lot of use braking and turning. It has 123,000 on it.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Not sure of the torque spec on it, but the inner tie rods that I have bought usually come with red locktite...that will keep them from backing off. Secondly, loose the vice gribs and go buy a 12" adjustable crescent wrench. It will adjust large enough and also allow you to put enough leverage on it to torque it adequately.

Ferris Bueller

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Locktite was in one of the inner tie rod packages but no instructions. I think I'm just going to buy a rebuilt steering rack for it as I drive a lot in town delivering pizza. The parts places that I have called say that inner tie rods come with the steering racks.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Your worrying too much....put some red locktite on it, spin it on, and crank it down with the crescent wrench. Put everything back together, eye the outer tie rod alignment to get it straight as possible and go get an alignment. Done.

Ferris Bueller

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Your worrying too much....put some red locktite on it, spin it on, and crank it down with the crescent wrench. Put everything back together, eye the outer tie rod alignment to get it straight as possible and go get an alignment. Done.
Maybe I am. Last night I ordered a rebuilt rack. Its coming from Des Moines. There was a lot of on center slop in the steering. For the $150 I'm spending on it, its one less thing that might go bad in the middle of the winter that I might have to replace in an unheated shop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals