• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

injectors

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
are they 12 volt systems? (pretty sure it is)

what if I want to hook it up to see if it works? Will I kill it if I hook up reverse polarity?

I have one injector that appears to be stuck open. I want to test it to make sure it's opening correctly. :icon_confused:

mudnsnow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
When we test injector, we just remove the fuel rail with injector from the intake(let the wiring and the fuel hoses plugged). And tell a friend to try to start the engine. Put sometowel under the fuel spray :)

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
I tested mine with a pressure gauge from harbor freight tools. Just hooked it to the valve on the back and primed the system and looked to see if it held pressure.

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
interesting... I'm assuming that the injectors all turn on/off as required (if they're working properly?

thanks for the idea :icon_thumby:

I tested mine with a pressure gauge from harbor freight tools. Just hooked it to the valve on the back and primed the system and looked to see if it held pressure.
well, I know I have pressure - it runs correctly.

However, I have a NASTY shake, and one plug that's wet, continuously :icon_confused:

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
make sure the gasket isnt leaking....sounds like a potential coolant issue...possible cracked head..

the pressure test isnt as sound...it may be over spraying, or lazy...if it is sefi do a cyl balance test.

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
make sure the gasket isnt leaking....sounds like a potential coolant issue...possible cracked head..

the pressure test isnt as sound...it may be over spraying, or lazy...if it is sefi do a cyl balance test.
that's the thing - I *just* replaced the gasket.. I don't *think* the head is warped, but who knows, I could've warped it on the way home.

I replaced the gasket, cause it was weeping pretty badly above the starter, but when I pulled the head, I found no evidence of a blown gasket. And, like a dumbass, I didn't throw a straightedge on the head :rolleyes:

I'm thinking I got shit in the injector when I cleaned the old gasket off the intake, so I'm gonna pull that first. I *really* don't want to drop another chunk of dough on another HG if I can avoid it.... :mad: :nopityA:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Is it wet with unburnt fuel? If it was a head gasket the plugs should have a sweet smell.

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
Not to thread jack, but I feel this is a good place to ask, since I did the pressure test, that just shows that the injectors arn't leaking? But i never thought that it doesn't test to make sure an injector isn't working correctly, is it possible for an injector to over spray, but not leak?

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is it wet with unburnt fuel? If it was a head gasket the plugs should have a sweet smell.

it's wet with gas - which leads us to the stuck injector :buttkick:

AFAIK, I did the gasket right. vacumn is fine, no leaks detected with 'pane or brake cleaner. spark plugs on all cylinders is a nice brown, except this one. It's black, and has a nasty gas smell to it.

Coolant level isn't going down, either, so I'm pretty sure the head/gasket are fine. Probably what happened, is when I was cleaning the old gasket off the intake, I knocked some debris into the injector nozzle, and it's forcing everything open. That's the most likely explanation that I can come up with at the moment... :bawling:

Not to thread jack, but I feel this is a good place to ask, since I did the pressure test, that just shows that the injectors arn't leaking? But i never thought that it doesn't test to make sure an injector isn't working correctly, is it possible for an injector to over spray, but not leak?

An over spray would be caused by it being forced open too long. (or too much pressure while open) I'm pretty sure that an injector wouldn't do that, but that's my guess :no2:

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I may have an injector I can send you. I think i still have all of them in the top of the rail.

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"

it's wet with gas - which leads us to the stuck injector :buttkick:
I was trying to determine if it was a fuel or antifreeze on the plug.

Last edited:

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well, injectors are working fine.

no codes come up, KOEO, or KOER.

tried a cylinder balance test (hit throttle w/i 2 mins of KOER test output) to no avail.

fucker still shakes like crazy.

I did however determine the best way to install the 4.0 fuel rail... injectors into the rail, then mount rail/injectors to the intake.

I also swapped the injector, and the plug...

the plug I swapped in got all wet (didn't smell like anything really, no strong gas smell, no strong sweet smell. The original plug turned a normal color in the other cylinder. (incidentally with the original injector).

What now? Pull the heads and check 'em for straigtness? I have noticed a coolant level drop though - not much, but the rad/overflow tank aren't as full as they were ~300 miles ago.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals