• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Injector cleaner

93bushtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger has 400,000 kms on the original engine and injectors, and has never had a problem with the injectors themselves. Lately Ive been having hot start issues, like it cranks over forever before it starts if its been running for awhile before, but it always does start. Now, roughly 1500 kms ago I was having some issues which led to the fuel pump, filter, and pressure regulator being replaced so I dont think its that.

Now, this may sound really stupid, but is there a chance that running injector cleaner can harm really old injectors? I garantee it hasnt had injector cleaner run through it for atleast 150,000 kms. Im just worried, because Im going on a little road trip this weekend, and I dont want to be stuck out of my country with a truck that wont start. But at the same time, lets say the hot start issue is dirty injectors and that leaves me stranded? Im freaking out about it, lol. I jsut need a bit of re assurance.

I bought the STP injector cleaner already, and its sitting in the glove box, waiting untill I fill up next. Mocking me...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have only ever seen injector cleaner do damage once. It cleaned all the crap and scale off the inside of the fuel rail and plugged them up. That was a problem that was fairly specific to the 2.9, so I wouldn't worry about it.

But on the other hand, I seriously doubt that fuel injectors would cause a hot-start issue that would also cause poor performance issues once warm or that could be fixed by injector cleaner.

Dirty injectors should cause you issues across the board. Weak ones could have their performance affected by heat, but that shouldn't limit the problems to starting, it should make it run poorly now.

What's the weather been like? Getting cold at night still? It's a little late in the year for vapor lock, but that is what it sounds like.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I agree, use the injector cleaner, and I also don't think that is the issue, but it certainly won't hurt and long term, it's a good idea.

Next time you have a no start cycle the key off and on a few times, listen for the fuel pump each time, it should come on for 1 or 2 seconds each time key is on.
If it doesn't come on each time check/replace the fuel pump relay.

Unless engine is overheating I don't think vapor lock on a fuel line would be a worry.
You can test for that the next time you have a no start, remove the FPR's(fuel pressure regulator's) vacuum line from the intake end, suck on it, that will open the FPR's diaphragm and release the system pressure clearing any lock.
There should be no gas in that vacuum line or smell of gas, if there is then the new FPR is bad.

Coil pack heating up might be worth a check, you can test coil packs with an ohm meter while it's warmed up.
Google: ford coil pack testing

MAF(mass air flow) sensor could be acting up, next time there is a no start unplug the MAF and try to start.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/CleanMAF.html

The ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor could cause a no start but it would be a long shot.
This is a TWO wire sensor the computer uses to set a rich or lean mix based on the coolant temperature, so it is the "choke" for a fuel injected engine.
ECT can be tested with OHM meter as well.
http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=28

This ECT sensor is only used by the computer, there is a ONE wire sender that will be near by the ECT sensor, that one is for the dash board temp gauge.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals