• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Info on wiring

97FR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Hello Ranger family need some info on wiring up a carbureted engine I'm planning hopefully in the spring to start my conversion with a 302 crate engine and need some wiring information I'm trying to get all the info I can get before I get started

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
What truck are you starting with? What engine and transmission did it have originally? What transmission are you going to use with the 302? All the interior stock functions will remain the same?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't really need much on the wiring side with carb and distributor

The 302 HEI "coil on cap" distributor is bullet proof and needs one 12v key on wire, 2nd wire for tachometer if wanted, make sure to get one with Tach hookup they come with or without it

One wire for engine Temp sender
One wire for oil pressure sender

And that's it

Electric choke for carb if you want, just key on 12v and ground

AOD(not AOD-E) for automatic with overdrive from a 302, no computer control

M5OD-R2(M5R2) from 1996-2003 F-150 with 4.2l V6 for manual trans, 2wd or 4wd versions available
4.2l V6 in those years has same bell housing bolt pattern as 302/5.0l, you will need to drill out bell housing bolt holes 1/16" to fit 302s SAE bolt size, 4.2l used metric bolts
M5R2 shifter is in the same place as Rangers in those years, older truck manuals have shifter farther forward, Mustangs have it farther back but either can be used

97FR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
What truck are you starting with? What engine and transmission did it have originally? What transmission are you going to use with the 302? All the interior stock functions will remain the same?
I have a 97 Ranger XLT 2 wheel drive 4 cylinder 2.3 with a 5-speed Toyo koygo trans I'm going to use a T5 world class train

97FR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Don't really need much on the wiring side with carb and distributor

The 302 HEI "coil on cap" distributor is bullet proof and needs one 12v key on wire, 2nd wire for tachometer if wanted, make sure to get one with Tach hookup they come with or without it

One wire for engine Temp sender
One wire for oil pressure sender

And that's it

Electric choke for carb if you want, just key on 12v and ground

AOD(not AOD-E) for automatic with overdrive from a 302, no computer control

M5OD-R2(M5R2) from 1996-2003 F-150 with 4.2l V6 for manual trans, 2wd or 4wd versions available
4.2l V6 in those years has same bell housing bolt pattern as 302/5.0l, you will need to drill out bell housing bolt holes 1/16" to fit 302s SAE bolt size, 4.2l used metric bolts
M5R2 shifter is in the same place as Rangers in those years, older truck manuals have shifter farther forward, Mustangs have it farther back but either can be used
Thank you for the info it's going to help me out a lot God bless you

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
Always bite off more than you can chew!! :)
not sure how "crazy" you're gonna get with your electrical but I tore my entire wire harness out (on a Cleveland carbureted swap), moved my Power Dist Center to the pass. side and rewired everything. My best two friends were a 1995 Ranger Electric and Vacuum manual (found on line -$25) and Walt93 here on site. Both were invaluable! Between the two and 4 months of studying and pulling wire I got her done and everything worked! Good Luck, hope you love your truck. :cool:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals