• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Info on DOHC 2.3?

Ferris Bueller

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone have any information on the 2.3 in my 04 Ranger. I've read its similar to the 2.3 in the Focus and in some Mazda cars,,, including one with a turbo making over 200hp. I also see in the Ford Motorsports catalog a supercharger offered for the 2.3 in the Focus. Would be fun if that could bolt onto my motor. Is there any hp upgrades to my 2.3 other than a K&N air filter?

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
You can make a K&N FIPK kit work, I did on my 05 and would recommend it. You can also do exhaust. Both Gibson and Dynomax make catbacks for your truck. You can also get a tuner from Bamachips.com.

nn2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bamachips will give you the most gain. There's also the airbox mod that people have claimed to work. It's similar to the Focus motor, but don't get too anxious about interchanging parts like turbos. It doesn't line up to well.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Almost every thing from a 2.3l Duratec Focus will mate up EXCEPT the intake and exhaust manifolds.
Performance wise do go with the Bama chip programmer, Exhaust any shop can do you a cat back with the muffler of your choice.

And so far I have yet to find a supercharger for any Duratec engine. If you have a link to the site or could find one to prove it that would be great.
But I think the engine might have been the Zetec engine, which is the other option choice for Focus.
And those are very diferent engines.
And before you get all gidy about a turbo coming off of a Mazda Internal WILL need to be upgraded and the intake of the Ranger will not hold up to significant boost.

And if you are not going to run enough boost to put you back in the seat why have it, Which then we turn back to a Bama chip gives you good power and a heck of alot cheaper than a turbo.
Good luck

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think the entire top end of the turbocharched 2.3L is different from the regular version.

The turbocharged version is assembled in Japan. The one in the Ranger is assembled in Dearborn, MI.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals