• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Inertia Switch Remote Kill Switch Question - Insight Appreciated!

fanugi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I hope this post finds everyone doing well and staying safe.

I have a 99 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0L V6 Sport. Any insight would be appreciated as car looting and theft have gone up in this neighborhood since the pandemic.

What I'm trying to do is wire in one of those remote / wireless kill switches in-line with the inertia switch (I'm thinking of mounting it behind the kick plate to the right of the switch near the passenger door).

My question is about what wires to tie it into. From what I've read, there are two different sets?

Any information at all would be really appreciated as I'll sleep better at night once the switch is in place!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

1999 Ranger 3.0l XLT will have PATS(passive anti-theft system), it was an option in 1998 but all Ranger V6 models had it in 1999 and up, 4cyl didn't

So yours already has better than a kill switch, it kills fuel injectors so there is no "work around" for that

PATS uses "transponder" keys, each key has an RFID tag in its handle, no batteries needed, it has a unique number
When you turn the key on that number is read by an antenna loop around the key slot
The PATS module(above glove box in 1999/2000 Rangers) then compares that number to the 3 or 4 numbers that were programmed into its memory at the factory(the 3 or 4 keys the Ranger came with when new)
If a match is found then PATS module "tells" Computer "OK to start"
If no match or no number, then there is no "OK to start" message and computer stays OFF, AND ....a THEFT light on the dash will start to flash rapidly

You should see THEFT light come ON and then go off with key on, IF your key was recognized

You can add more keys, well a locksmith can if you only have 1 key, you should always have a spare key or you will need a mobile locksmith to come to vehicle location to make(cut) and add a new key to PATS

You can test your PATS system by wrapping key's handle in aluminum foil and then put key in and turn it on, should see flashing THEFT light and maybe a no crank, but for sure a no start
In 1999 some PATS also disabled start motor activation, but not on all models

So a fuel pump Kill switch would be redundant on your model, computer turns on the fuel pump with key on, but wouldn't turn it on if PATS didn't send the "OK to start" message

PATS is "passive" so not an alarm
An active alarm might be a better way to secure your vehicle, i.e. flashing lights and horn honking

And just a heads up, if someone tries to start a PATS vehicle 3 or 4 times with Flashing Theft Light each time, PATS will go into LOCK DOWN mode, so computer will stay off for 90minutes even if correct key is used it won't start
No way to reset that 90min, even unhooking the battery won't help

Last edited:

fanugi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the informative reply! I know I have PATS but I did not know all of this related info which is very useful.

However, I still want to add more security. Right now I have a club (which I know can just be removed by cutting the steering wheel) and the PATS. I know PATS can be beaten and I've had a key stolen before. I want to add another layer. Is there a reason you suggest an alarm before the remote kill switch I'm thinking about?

Is it because you think the kill switch would be dangerous? I want to make it so that my truck is as "unstealable" as possible. Overkill is the goal so I know that (just about) the only way to steal it would be a tow truck. I'm also looking at a brake lock and a tracker at some point but I guess I have my mind set on the kill switch...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If someone has the technical ability, tools, and time required to bypass the PATs system, I assure you they are more than smart enough to track down a toggle switch and turn it off.

fanugi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If someone has the technical ability, tools, and time required to bypass the PATs system, I assure you they are more than smart enough to track down a toggle switch and turn it off.
I appreciate your perspective but someone doesn't have to be all that smart if they get a hold of my key. Is there someone who can help with the wiring instead of trying to talk me out of it?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is no work around for PATS, at least not an easy one, not sure where you read that?

If you lost a key(or ex-partner has one) then you can go to a locksmith and they can delete all the keys in memory and just add the 2 or 3 keys you have back in, so lost key is useless, for starting

You can get your own software to do that as well, its called Forscan its not expensive, and it does alot more than just add keys

Disabling the fuel pump is an easy by-pass if thieves get a no start, thats the first thing they look for
A 5-10 minute timer that disables fuel pump is a better plan, with auto-reset, so you need to remember to hit the hidden switch/button each time you start up engine, or it will die in 5 min(or ??)
The delayed fuel pump shut off is better because once thief has gotten engine started, he wants to get away as soon as that happens, so they get out onto a public road and the engine dies, fuel pump stops
So they are sitting, exposed in a dead vehicle, they will NOT hang around to try and find out why engine is dead

A wheel boot is hard to remove

As annoying as horn honking alarms are they are still good deterrents, thieves want quiet

fanugi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate your perspective but someone doesn't have to be all that smart if they get a hold of my key. Is there someone who can help with the wiring instead of trying to talk me out of it?
Come to think of it...if they have my key they also have the remote to turn the kill switch off with...

So what might you suggest the next layer of security be? An alarm?

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Doberman. Seriously.... you might need to consider moving......

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Cut the PINK wire at inertia switch, insert a 30amp switch in between the two ends, if you want to add wire use the same size wire or larger, and make sure its as least a 30amp switch

If you want to use a smaller switch then use a 12v30amp relay on the pink wire
Then you can use smaller wire from relay to the switch as well

fanugi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Cut the PINK wire at inertia switch, insert a 30amp switch in between the two ends, if you want to add wire use the same size wire or larger, and make sure its as least a 30amp switch
Thanks, Ron. Ground?

fanugi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The delayed fuel pump shut off is better because once thief has gotten engine started, he wants to get away as soon as that happens, so they get out onto a public road and the engine dies, fuel pump stops
So they are sitting, exposed in a dead vehicle, they will NOT hang around to try and find out why engine is dead
Slick idea!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, Ron. Ground?
???

Pink wire has 12volts that goes to fuel pump when key is on, no ground
The switch prevents the 12volts from going to fuel pump unless its "closed"(on)
But you HAVE TO remember to turn switch OFF when exiting the vehicle

You can use 3 relays to setup Automatic disable every time key is turned off

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I had a camaro that I had rigged a 2 way switch that enabled a relay, the relay was then wired to the brake switch. When the switch was in position #1 12 volts went to the fuel pump as normal, when the switch was in position #2 12 volts would only go to the fuel pump when the relay was on and since the relay was powered backwards through the brake switch, the car would start but when you took your foot off the brake to move it would shut off the fuel pump and slowly stall out.

The idea was that the engine would start, I'd hear it and then the theif would stall the car trying to take off and then hopefully run away before trying to figure out what the hell happened. Theives aren't likely to hang out diagnosing engine issues...

Shadowmeph

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
???

Pink wire has 12volts that goes to fuel pump when key is on, no ground
The switch prevents the 12volts from going to fuel pump unless its "closed"(on)
But you HAVE TO remember to turn switch OFF when exiting the vehicle

You can use 3 relays to setup Automatic disable every time key is turned off
I hate that dam switch I keep kicking it by accident at work ( I sit in the pas side of truck) and my truck wont start i have to reset the switch

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals