• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Incredibly pitted valves and seats on my 2.3L 150,000 miles

worstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
IMG_7063.jpg
IMG_7062.jpg

I drove on this head with a dead cylinder only at idle for almost 2 years and assumed I just had a recessed valve seat. Turns out EVERY single exhaust valve seat was insanely pitted and my valves are pitted to match. Other than some sort of overheating, would this indicate that my engine is running excessively lean? All my injectors are new ( I replaced just about everything before deciding that the head was the issue) My best guess is that my fuel pump may be weak. Please feel free to chime in!

Here's the replacement head that came with valves ready to go. The engine idles nice and smooth now and I have a subtle power increase BUT I expected a drastic power increase after seeing these valve seats. This leads me to believe that there is something wrong other than this head having been overheated at some point in its life. This b!tch got hot.

Here's the new head after installing the old cam, rockers and lifters. The new head was sourced from Allied Motor Parts. I only paid 350 bucks for this head WITH valves installed, BUT the valve tips were haphazardly ground down. I wasn't too impressed, but I went ahead with the install anyway.
70594739733__04177A17-468B-45AF-88AB-3D3E129E14A2.jpg

Please chime in and help me prevent that pitting from happening again!!!

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I had a engine like that. I had to tear it down because of a bad knock. But there was really nothing wrong with it except it was very dirty in the combustion chambers. I took the cylinder heads to have the valves reground, and they were pitted like yours. Without giving any history to the guy rebuilding the heads, he looked at the pitting and said "do you know what causes that?". I said no. He said dirt entering the engine. I started to get a better picture of what was wrong with this engine.

I got the vehicle from a school that trains young people to be mechanics. They had obviously had the intake off, and it was full of that black soot from the EGR system. I think the kids knocked a bunch of that down in the engine, which caused the pitting to the valves and probably a big hunk had been sitting on top of one of the pistons causing the knock.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any chance this comes from burning ethanol/gasoline? I never use ethanol/gasoline in my 2002 3.0L Ranger as per advice from my great mechanic and I dislike that crap anyway.

worstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I had a engine like that. I had to tear it down because of a bad knock. But there was really nothing wrong with it except it was very dirty in the combustion chambers. I took the cylinder heads to have the valves reground, and they were pitted like yours. Without giving any history to the guy rebuilding the heads, he looked at the pitting and said "do you know what causes that?". I said no. He said dirt entering the engine. I started to get a better picture of what was wrong with this engine.

I got the vehicle from a school that trains young people to be mechanics. They had obviously had the intake off, and it was full of that black soot from the EGR system. I think the kids knocked a bunch of that down in the engine, which caused the pitting to the valves and probably a big hunk had been sitting on top of one of the pistons causing the knock.
Very possible. The intake was caked in carbon deposits. Carbon deposits entering through the EGR is a plausible theory.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Actually no, ethanol causes less carbon build up
Gasoline engines had issues with carbon build up LONG LONG BEFORE ethanol was being added to fuel, lol

Carbon build up is from the engine running too rich, in fuel injection that is usually caused by older O2 sensors or exhaust manifold leaks
O2s need to be changed ever 12 years, its only sensor that wears out
Exhaust manifold leak causes a False Lean on O2 sensor so computer runs engine richer than needed

Yes, carbon build up caused pitting on valves and valve seats
Pitting in cylinder head and piston tops is from pinging/knocking, pre-ignition which can also be caused by carbon build up, it raises compression ratio and also makes for HOT SPOTS that can pre-ignite regular gas

worstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Actually no, ethanol causes less carbon build up
Gasoline engines had issues with carbon build up LONG LONG BEFORE ethanol was being added to fuel, lol

Carbon build up is from the engine running too rich, in fuel injection that is usually caused by older O2 sensors or exhaust manifold leaks
O2s need to be changed ever 12 years, its only sensor that wears out
Exhaust manifold leak causes a False Lean on O2 sensor so computer runs engine richer than needed

Yes, carbon build up caused pitting on valves and valve seats
Pitting in cylinder head and piston tops is from pinging/knocking, pre-ignition which can also be caused by carbon build up, it raises compression ratio and also makes for HOT SPOTS that can pre-ignite regular gas
That's probably it then. My MPG was 18 and when I went to remove this head, 2 exhaust studs were missing. Probably a fat exhaust leak making the o2 sensor read lean. Well also due to loss of compression, but the o2 sensor probably was reading lean. I replaced it btw. I'm currently waiting to see what my mpg is. Whoever worked on the engine before me did piss poor job.. The records say a headgasket was replaced at 40k. I bought the truck at 80k and now its at 150k.

Last edited:

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
View attachment 92740View attachment 92741

I drove on this head with a dead cylinder only at idle for almost 2 years and assumed I just had a recessed valve seat. Turns out EVERY single exhaust valve seat was insanely pitted and my valves are pitted to match. Other than some sort of overheating, would this indicate that my engine is running excessively lean? All my injectors are new ( I replaced just about everything before deciding that the head was the issue) My best guess is that my fuel pump may be weak. Please feel free to chime in!

Here's the replacement head that came with valves ready to go. The engine idles nice and smooth now and I have a subtle power increase BUT I expected a drastic power increase after seeing these valve seats. This leads me to believe that there is something wrong other than this head having been overheated at some point in its life. This b!tch got hot.

Here's the new head after installing the old cam, rockers and lifters. The new head was sourced from Allied Motor Parts. I only paid 350 bucks for this head WITH valves installed, BUT the valve tips were haphazardly ground down. I wasn't too impressed, but I went ahead with the install anyway.
View attachment 92744

Please chime in and help me prevent that pitting from happening again!!!
Dang son, you been feedin it bud light or what?

worstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
NEW UPDATE.
My MPG on the old head was right at 18.
Now with the newhead its 19.25. Shouldn't I be getting close to 24??? I have significantly more power now without those rotted out valve seats. My cylinders looked fantastic. Good cross hatching and no striations.. There is no evidense of excessive blowby either. What the heck. There is some small thing I'm sure of it that is robbing me of the last few mpg. Anyways, I'm about to install a 4.10 diff anyway (which will obliterate my mpg) because I'm autistic and want a hilarious gearing ratio to emulate more power. If anyone has any ideas as to what could cause this lower mpg, please chime in.

worstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Dang son, you been feedin it bud light or what?
hek no brother, dont you know bud lights gay. I'd been adding a handle of jack every fill-up.

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
NEW UPDATE.
My MPG on the old head was right at 18.
Now with the newhead its 19.25. Shouldn't I be getting close to 24??? I have significantly more power now without those rotted out valve seats. My cylinders looked fantastic. Good cross hatching and no striations.. There is no evidense of excessive blowby either. What the heck. There is some small thing I'm sure of it that is robbing me of the last few mpg. Anyways, I'm about to install a 4.10 diff anyway (which will obliterate my mpg) because I'm autistic and want a hilarious gearing ratio to emulate more power. If anyone has any ideas as to what could cause this lower mpg, please chime in.
After a drive, get out and feel each wheel. They may be warm, but they all should be about the same, the fronts may be a little warmer, but each side should be the same. If you find one that is hotter than the others, there is where some of your fuel mileage is going.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Gears don't change mpg unless you are cruising at high rpm... I've experimented with my '97 a fair amount with tire size (it has 4.10's), I've gone from stock height 27" tall tires to 29" tires and settled on 28" tires, MPG has ranged from 20 to 25, all terrain tires were what pulled the mpg down and car tires brought it up, if I cruise under 3000 rpm it gets better mileage and even not going over 4k on acceleration made a noticeable difference...

My best mileage on a 2.3L was on my '90 that still just used a MAP sensor instead of MAF but my '97 weighs like 400 pounds more...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals