• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

In the market for a radiator

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I have a small leak in my radiator where the plastic tank attaches to the core. I patched it with some epoxy which helped it leak less to get me home, but it still leaks a little and I know there's not really in point in trying to get it repaired. I've seen replacements on summit and rock auto for a little over $100, and I'm wondering if they're a good quality? One brand was Spectra and one was Vista Pro. I don't want to spend $400 on a Motorcraft one if I don't have to. I posted in the 4-cyl discussion and didn't really get a response. Thanks if you have any info!

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I dont know if you have pull a part in your area, but I just picked up a nearly new one from a 90 BII with a/c and auto trans. Its a 4 (maybe 3?) core radiator, and it appears to be aftermarket. It's thicker than the explorer radiators w/ac and auto that I compared it to in the junkyard, but not as wide. Bolted right up and used my old hoses. Why they left it in there when they sold it to the junkyard I'll never know because it works perfectly.

Point is, they charged me $37 and some change, with a 30 day warranty.

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Oh wow, that's a good deal. I'm not sure if there's any yards here or not. I just moved a couple months ago and haven't heard of any yards. I'd rather get a new one than chance one from a junkyard if I can get one for as cheap as I found them online.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I understand that completely. Maybe it's just me, but the pull a part yard here is like a Wal-Mart to me lol. I spend hours in there.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got a used one for my V8 swap, it turned to be a leaker. Not looking to keep making 1-1/2 hr trips up there I just got a new one.

I want to say it was a Spectra but don't hold me to it, $116 for a brand new two core Explorer radiator from Carquest. Works great :icon_thumby:

They vastly changed things upfront in '96, I don't have many 3+ gens in the yards around me.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I've replaced mine with a Ready-Rad from Advance Auto Parts. Its about to go on its second winter and has survived the hottest days on record for Oklahoma.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've tried the used rad from a junkyard before....

I put four radiators in the same truck in a month and a half doing that. If it wasn't for the fact that I was up at that junkyard at least once a week, I would have got fed up sooner than that. Kinda soured me for getting a used rad again.

Last new one I bought for myself was through a place called Radiator Barn, found them online and they had a pretty good price at the time.

Last new one I bought for someone else was from Autozone. Turns out AZ warranties their radiators for as long as you own the vehicle. If it leaks, bring it back and get a new one. Wish I would have known that sooner, for as long as I keep stuff, that's a great deal for me.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1 800 radiator is another place. I tried a boneyard rad once and it leaked like a sieve too- I don't even have them cleaned anymore, when they start clogging I just put in a new one and be done with it.

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, guys. I finally just went with a Napa radiator. I figured I could trust their product. However, it turns out that while the box had a Napa sticker on it, the radiator inside had a Spectra Premium tag on it. I could have gotten the same one from Rockauto for $115, but I paid $165 for one from Napa lol. Oh well. You live and learn. I just thought I'd share that in case anyone else was going through the same thing.

The new radiator seemed to be good quality; everything fit just like the old one. Only difference is the new one is a universal model, meaning it has fittings for a tranny cooler for the automatic model Ranger. Another thing I might add, is if you haven't flushed your coolant in a couple years or so, DO IT! A lot of crap came out when I did mine. Lots of what looked like black sand. With the engine running, I left the drain petcock on the radiator open and kept running water through, about 4-5 gallons worth, until it came out clear.
Just thought I'd post the final results of my ordeal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals