• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

In search of replacement shocks.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
At 150K miles, my shocks are worn out! I'm looking for as close to original ride quality as I can find for a 2007 2wd. Does anyone have any suggestions other than buying Motorcraft shocks as a replacement, which I've considered? I don't like that floating feeling a lot of Monroe shocks. A little stiffer than stock is OK, but I don't want to feel every bump in the road. Has anyone installed the Rancho RS5000x (RS55222 for the 98-11 2wd)?

Frozen_Ice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P225/70R15
My credo
Have your pets spayed and neutered
I installed monroes shocks in front and monroes in back. Made a world of diff from Originals.
PART NUMBER: 37153 front
MONROE® LOAD ADJUSTING SHOCK ABSORBERS rear

Frozen_Ice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P225/70R15
My credo
Have your pets spayed and neutered
I installed monroes shocks in front and monroes in back. Made a world of diff from Originals.
PART NUMBER: 37153 front
MONROE® LOAD ADJUSTING SHOCK ABSORBERS rear

I researched the pizz out of shocks and finally went with monroes bc the truck shop that put them on uses monroes on semi trucks, my research concluded montoes will last, if you are lifting, jumping or some other specialized activity w ur truck then maybe get a diff brand but the other brands were more expensive. I also found that shops won't install and back a warranty if they don't sell the brand.
Good luck

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Im 99% sure the OEM shocks are made by KYB on the 2wds. I used KYB excels last time and they look and drive exactly like the original "motorcrafts".

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Im 99% sure the OEM shocks are made by KYB on the 2wds. I used KYB excels last time and they look and drive exactly like the original "motorcrafts".
The KYB shocks I got didn't look like the OEM shocks. The body of the KYB shocks were a little different, and the stem was shorter with a different thread. The KYB shocks were made in Mexico. The OEM shocks are made in the USA. Also, Tenneco is a major supplier for Ford. Tenneco retails their shocks under the Monroe and Rancho brands. Both of those brands had shocks with the same physical dimensions as the OEM shocks. The KYB shocks are a little different.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals