• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

In search of a sway bar.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Broken, that I understand. Feel sorry for you guys in the rust belt! Used to live there, myself. Had a few cars over the years with see-through fenders......

And yeah maybe not a big deal on the rear. Nice to have if you tow (my truck would not have come with one except it had a towing package). Anyways, junkyard..... hopefully find one that isn't rusted half in two.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Broken, that I understand. Feel sorry for you guys in the rust belt! Used to live there, myself. Had a few cars over the years with see-through fenders......

And yeah maybe not a big deal on the rear. Nice to have if you tow (my truck would not have come with one except it had a towing package). Anyways, junkyard..... hopefully find one that isn't rusted half in two.
The real joy is pulling it.

Some idiot, yes I say idiot pulled the bed to pull the fuel pump out of the rust bucket I grabbed mine out of... so the bed wasn't in the way and I could come in on the one link bolt behind the fuel tank from above.

waterran

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'92
Make / Model
R10
Transmission
Automatic
I’m have a 2001 ranger. Can anybody send me in the right direction to find a sway bar for my truck? It’s a discontinued item.
Aftermarket (use ADDCO, Hellwig, Belltech catalog) is full of them. Their listings will help you see how many different yrs. and such fit. If handling is your thing, you can buy a larger diameter one, but consider adding a rear sway bar if you install a thicker front one. Many years will fit & from other model Fords too..

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Hmmm, if I had to pull fuel tank or bed to get to it.... might order aftermarket!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The Hellwig I put on my 98, I did not have to remove the fuel tank or bed to install it. You just have to get down and dirty, crawling around on the ground, or a creeper. It mounts under the axle, rather than on top of it. I'll see if I can get a pic later today. It didn't take much more than one hour to install. Really simple. Don't have to drill any holes iirc. Uses holes that already exist in the frames.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Hellwig I put on my 98, I did not have to remove the fuel tank or bed to install it. You just have to get down and dirty, crawling around on the ground, or a creeper. It mounts under the axle, rather than on top of it. I'll see if I can get a pic later today. It didn't take much more than one hour to install. Really simple. Don't have to drill any holes iirc. Uses holes that already exist in the frames.
I didn't HAVE to but when I see a truck sitting there with everything in the open vs other ones still buttoned up... I am taking easy street. All I did was walk up to this, sit on the frame rail and unbolt the sway bar.

I popped it in when I was changing my fuel pump, I halfheartedly tried it with the tank in and it was going to be a bugger. Only because you have to tighten a nut on the back side of the frame which is easier said than done with the fuel tank in the way. If you just need a sway bar and your bushings are ok you wouldn't have to mess with pulling the links out of your truck.

This is right after I got mine in, fuel tank is still out.

Cab config and fuel tank differences over the years will play a role. Mine is std cab longbox and I know the later trucks had different fuel tanks.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Hmmm, if I had to pull fuel tank or bed to get to it.... might order aftermarket!

it's not the bar that's difficult, it's the top end of the driver side link. you'll need real small flexible hands plus an assortment of weird tools.

(I should learn to type faster)

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
it's not the bar that's difficult, it's the top end of the driver side link. you'll need real small flexible hands plus an assortment of weird tools.

(I should learn to type faster)
I'll have to go out and look at mine here shortly. I don't recall the driver's side being a problem. It may be the Hellwig bar is easier to install than a factory bar? Two small "L" brackets get bolted to the frame, and the end links attach to them. I have very large hands. I did it without problem iirc. But Come On Man! I did it in 2002. Almost 20 years ago.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Two small "L" brackets get bolted to the frame, and the end links attach to them.
Thats the difference. The OEM bar mounts to two vertical links. The driver side link mounts to a bracket up between the frame and fuel tank.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thats the difference. The OEM bar mounts to two vertical links. The driver side link mounts to a bracket up between the frame and fuel tank.
Maybe. The two "L" brackets get bolted to the outboard side of the frame with nuts and bolts. So you still have to get your hands on the inboard side of the frame to put the nuts on. I don't recall it was hard doing. But as I said, it was a long time ago. I've since replaced the end links because the bushings were shot. It wasn't a problem at all.

I'll get some pictures later today and post them up. Need to get out and do it soon though, we are expecting rain here any time now.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thats a much more user-friendly mounting bracket than OEM.
The way it mounts is just the top bolt only into an existing hole. I added the lower bolt on each side. Probably not necessary. But I felt better with it there, than not. I can easily get my hands on the nuts on the fuel tank side. I recall it took me maybe an hour to install it, on my back under the truck. The axle mounts bolt up to the lower shock mounts easily.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals