• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

In over my head!

dylk

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco ii
Transmission
Manual
Hey yall!
So long story short, helping a family friend fix his Daily driver 1987 B2. 7.5" rear end ring and pinion job turned into much more.

So two part post..
Rear differential bearing cap is broken. After much research they are machined to the specific axle. Can I just throw another cap from a 7.5" on and hope for the best? I assume not, it'll likely not work and cause issues... right?

Part two:
8.8 swap.. I live a mile from the pick a part, they have a ton of rangers. What years would be the best to pick from for the rear? I know i am going to have to weld new perches on. What about shock mounts? Do I have to do anything to the brake system if I put disc brakes on the rear and keep the B2 front axle?
It has the U joint style drive shaft, do I swap the rear flange on the DS from the one on the ranger? Or drill and tap the flange on the 8.8?

To sum it up, if I cant just throw a bearing cap on, I'd love to find a 8.8" rear, drum brakes, with limited slip. What ranger should I look for?

Thanks in advanced,
Sincerely - The nice guy who does too much!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
A 90-92 with a 4.0 i believe is a direct bolt in. After 92 they got a bit wider but i dont think its a huge deal.

Assuming its 4wd youll need to find the same ratio rear end to swap in.

No idea on the cap.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
You absolutely can not swap in a cap, any more than you could swap a main bearing cap.
If you still run a 2.9, an 8.8 would add unsprung weight and strength the engine doesn't need.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You absolutely can not swap in a cap, any more than you could swap a main bearing cap.
If you still run a 2.9, an 8.8 would add unsprung weight and strength the engine doesn't need.
Really besides the bigger ring gear an 8.8 doesnt buy you any strength over a 7.5 anyways.

Unless you buy a explorer 8.8.

The 7.5 and ranger 8.8 both run the same 28 spline axle shafts

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Any Ranger axle (7.5 or 8.8) up to 92 would be a straight bolt-in swap. No welding required. I don’t think anything should have to be changed with the driveshaft. I’m not sure how big of an issue swapping a 93-11 Ranger axle in would be, but at most you would have to move spring perches. Might bolt in, just not sure. The only disk brake Rangers were the FX4 I believe.

Explorer 8.8, for 91-94 they are drum brake and you have to flip the perches unless you’re looking to lower the vehicle. You may have to weld shock tabs, been awhile since I was under a first gen Explorer. 95-01 Explorers had disk brake 8.8 and you will need to weld perches and shock tabs unless you’re looking to lower.

Explorer leaf springs are heavier duty and provide a little lift, you have to flip the centering pin in the pack. They are the correct length and all.

If it was me, I‘d be checking the junkyard for a limited slip axle of the gear ratio I want. Then I’d replace the clutches and add an extra clutch disk. Most of mine either have a limited slip, a limited slip with extra clutches, or a locker in the rear. For a Bronco II there is no real need to go with an 8.8 unless you want either 10” drums or disk. My choptop on 35’s is still running a 7.5” although someday I intend on having a disk 8.8 under it. The 2.9 isn’t going to care what axle. If you have an A4LD auto trans, it may care, but a shift kit and adjusting the bands will take care of most of its complaints.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Any Ranger axle (7.5 or 8.8) up to 92 would be a straight bolt-in swap. No welding required. I don’t think anything should have to be changed with the driveshaft. I’m not sure how big of an issue swapping a 93-11 Ranger axle in would be, but at most you would have to move spring perches. Might bolt in, just not sure. The only disk brake Rangers were the FX4 I believe.

Explorer 8.8, for 91-94 they are drum brake and you have to flip the perches unless you’re looking to lower the vehicle. You may have to weld shock tabs, been awhile since I was under a first gen Explorer. 95-01 Explorers had disk brake 8.8 and you will need to weld perches and shock tabs unless you’re looking to lower.

Explorer leaf springs are heavier duty and provide a little lift, you have to flip the centering pin in the pack. They are the correct length and all.

If it was me, I‘d be checking the junkyard for a limited slip axle of the gear ratio I want. Then I’d replace the clutches and add an extra clutch disk. Most of mine either have a limited slip, a limited slip with extra clutches, or a locker in the rear. For a Bronco II there is no real need to go with an 8.8 unless you want either 10” drums or disk. My choptop on 35’s is still running a 7.5” although someday I intend on having a disk 8.8 under it. The 2.9 isn’t going to care what axle. If you have an A4LD auto trans, it may care, but a shift kit and adjusting the bands will take care of most of its complaints.
If its 4wd he'll need the same ratio unless he wants to do the front end to.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
If its 4wd he'll need the same ratio unless he wants to do the front end to.
Good point, forgot to mention that part. Been a little distracted lately, lot going on at home.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals