• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

In middle of TTB alignment with adjustable bushings: Need a little advice...

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
1996 TTB D35 axle on 1994 supercab with skyjacker 132x leveling coils.

This what I've done so far:

1). Measure ride height, both between the frame and ground.

2). Stripped down to knuckles.

3). Set jackstands to vehicle ride height as if tires were on.

4). Installed MooG # K80109 Fully adjustable bushings. They show 0-4* adjustment, blah, blah.

5). I have them maxed out on camber (3*) and have almost no room for caster adjustment.....and the caster needs pulled back bad. The passenger side is zeroed and the driver's side is 1.5-2* pos. To be honest the camber could use a little more negative adjustment as it's still a bit positive by a degree.

The setting is A over H on the driver's side (-3* camber/ -1/2* caster adjustment), and A over G on the passenger side ( -3* camber, +1/2* caster adjustment).

From what I understand it'll pull to the side with the least amount of caster. With the road factored in it'll already want to pull to the passenger side with the casters equal, so I would want the caster more positive on the passenger side.....correct?

So I'm either looking at running caster way out of spec (+2* to +6* is the spec) or probably springing for a set of these:

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/20813.html

Right?

That way I can easily correct the positive camber situation and then use the bushings to put caster into spec rather than use all the adjustment for caster.

Or vice versa, and find a set of RA cross member drop brackets for 2-3" of lift and that should help caster.....? Would the RA drop brackets from a 4" lift be too much?

I'd appreciate any appropriate advice, especially if somebody has aligned their own vehicle with the adjustable bushings. :beer:

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok...as you look at the knuckle from the side ( looking straight down the beam ) is the top of the ball joint at between 7 and 8 o'clock in the adjuster???

if so...rotate it to 4-5 o'clock...that should keep the camber at 3* and give you some -caster....

what i set mine to when i did my coil spacers....

l8r, John

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah....but when/if I do that it'll set my camber off. I'm kinda stuck.

At this point, if I change one, it'll affect the other.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
remember that you want a little positive camber, as when you load your truck with weight, or even another passenger, the natural arc of the TTB will cause it to lose camber.

My truck jacked up looks silly, as soon as its on the ground again it looks normal. And by jacked up I mean jacked up and put on stands....still under its own weight. The springs arent "settled" sitting on stands like that, as the pressure from the stands is inward, not on the end of the arm, and not applying as much torque as it could be.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Naw the caster is still off by at least 3-4* on each side and even more to were I want it. Something will need to happen soon. Which ever brackets I see for sale first I'll snag. Like right now I'm -1* on the passenger side and positive 1* on the driver's side.

It drives straight down the road now. So it'll do for now. Just wanted advice on what will be a better long term solution.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
The caster won't hurt your tire wear. Caster is all about road feeling, return to center and such. If its tracking straight, and your camber is fine, I wouldn't worry what the caster is at.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I know it won't affect tire wear, but it may become more of a problem when loaded or towing. It is a bit weird right now ( and a little hesitant to return to center), but drivable till I get it fixed. You can tell the caster needs adjusted.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
See if you can find a radius arm crossmember off a mid-late '80s STX Highrider truck (has the riveted-in drop-down spacers on it). That should fix your caster issue.

Keep in mind if you get those brackets you linked to above, you should also get a dropped pitman arm to go along with them to make up the 2" drop difference.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
That's what I am trying to avoid.....lots of expense.

I'll hunt for a set of highrider or JD RA drops. There were a set of JD ones on craigslist back a month ago for $40...NOW nowhere to be found...lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals