• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

In case you wanted a classic bmw

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Broke My Wallet
That pretty well happened to a friend of mine. I think she spent more on fixing a transmission in one, than I spent on either of my vehicles when they were new..... :eek:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
But if you go to Germany they are basically the equivalent of a Toyota Corrola as far as repair costs goes...

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
She probably could have shipped the car there cheaper..... or just dumped it into the ocean......

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Here's my 70 BMW that I have owned for over 40 years. I took the Zenith carburetors off and replaced them with Webers a few years after I bought it. I like the Weber carburetors a lot better than the Zeniths. I think Webers are simpler and perform better. I rebuilt them a few years ago and found them easy to work on.

The carburetors are the only thing on it that is not from the factory. The air cleaner is original so it still looks as it came from the factory under the hood.

Attachments

Zmans

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Here's my 70 BMW that I have owned for over 40 years. I took the Zenith carburetors off and replaced them with Webers a few years after I bought it. I like the Weber carburetors a lot better than the Zeniths. I think Webers are simpler and perform better. I rebuilt them a few years ago and found them easy to work on.

The carburetors are the only thing on it that is not from the factory. The air cleaner is original so it still looks as it came from the factory under the hood.

View attachment 57814

View attachment 57816
Now that’s a lovely shark! I’m not a huge fan of the Weber, only due to my own ignorance. I need to take the time to properly adjust it. Nothing like a crankcase full of gasoil.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
BMW stands for Bayerische Motoren Werke and they only started making cars after they were banned from producing aircraft by the treaty of Versailles.

View attachment 57778

So next time you see a BMW, remember that it wouldn't even exist if someone didn't assassinate Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand in 1914. Ain't history neat?
Actually they never built aircraft.

They built aircraft engines during WWI, got their hands slapped for that after the war so they shifted to motorcycles and cars. One of the companies that merged to form BMW was actually building aircraft engines before the war but that was before "BMW". During the 1930's they switched back to making aircraft engines again including jet engines by war's end that were copied postwar by Russia and France.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well by the 30's Germany had ripped up the treat of versailles so everyone went back to making war machines.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Now that’s a lovely shark! I’m not a huge fan of the Weber, only due to my own ignorance. I need to take the time to properly adjust it. Nothing like a crankcase full of gasoil.
Yes, it is a shark. I see you are familiar with these Coupes. I have never had and problem with gas in the oil. My Webers were set up specifically for that BMW engine by a company called JAM Engineering. I never had to do anything other than get the linkage adjusted right to get it run properly without being overly rich or lean. They were a complete kit that was designed to allow the use of the stock air cleaner. It looks so original that it passed smog inspections many times before it became exempt.

The only minor issue I have with the Webers is; the fuel bowls are not closed like the Zeniths. After driving for a while and parking in the garage with the engine warm, I can get a light whiff of gasoline for a while. The top of the carburetors have a small opening that allows some fuel vapors to escape. Once the engine cools down a little, the aroma of gasoline does subside.

Zmans

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes, it is a shark. I see you are familiar with these Coupes. I have never had and problem with gas in the oil. My Webers were set up specifically for that BMW engine by a company called JAM Engineering. I never had to do anything other than get the linkage adjusted right to get it run properly without being overly rich or lean. They were a complete kit that was designed to allow the use of the stock air cleaner. It looks so original that it passed smog inspections many times before it became exempt.

The only minor issue I have with the Webers is; the fuel bowls are not closed like the Zeniths. After driving for a while and parking in the garage with the engine warm, I can get a light whiff of gasoline for a while. The top of the carburetors have a small opening that allows some fuel vapors to escape. Once the engine cools down a little, the aroma of gasoline does subside.
Do the Weber’s you use have the water choke or electric? I’ve been avidly searching for a set of era specific dcoe dual side draft carbs and velocity tubes. The parts alone are outrageously expensive; I am glad it’s not kugelfischer Injection!

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
not as classic as your 2002, but I've been battling an e30 with an m10b18 on and off for a couple years now.
just finally had the funds and decided to swap an m52b28 into it. the oil pan for the swap alone cost me more than I paid for the car.

Zmans

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
not as classic as your 2002, but I've been battling an e30 with an m10b18 on and off for a couple years now.
just finally had the funds and decided to swap an m52b28 into it. the oil pan for the swap alone cost me more than I paid for the car.
Dual vanos m52? I have not attempted the swap yet; so zero info on the m52, but I know all about the engines. I have a m10 in my 02 currently may schrick cam it and run injection.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Are you people even speaking english?

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
Dual vanos m52? I have not attempted the swap yet; so zero info on the m52, but I know all about the engines. I have a m10 in my 02 currently may schrick cam it and run injection.
I think the one I'm buying is single vanos
Well I might have some parts available here real soon if you need anything
Are you people even speaking english?
zündfolge

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Do the Weber’s you use have the water choke or electric? I’ve been avidly searching for a set of era specific dcoe dual side draft carbs and velocity tubes. The parts alone are outrageously expensive; I am glad it’s not kugelfischer Injection!
My Webers have the water choke like original.

I had a 67 2000 CS that had stock dual side draft carbs but I don't remember what brand they were. I would bet they were not Webers though. It didn't have velocity tubes because I ran the original air cleaner on it. They looked awesome though with each cylinder having its own personal barrel.

boozehero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
TVR 280i
Transmission
Manual
Old thread, but...
^^^ Solex side drafts! Not Webers.
I owned so many older BMWs, can't count them.
I (currently) only own 5.
1981 Euro 745 turbo
1980 728 Euro
1975 528 project
1981 533i
1985 535i

It's a disease...o_O

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals