• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) In cabin fuel pressure gauge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a way to install permanently a fuel pressure gauge on the dashboard on my 2.3L 1995 XL, anyone ever done this before?, I'm looking if there is a sensor that can be installed on the schrader valve on the injector rail, or perhaps something that can be added to the fuel line coming from the tank. Any ideas?. I just want to avoid running a fuel line inside the cabin to use a standard manometer, lol.

Cheers.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I would avoid running a fuel line into the cab :)

Yes, there are pressure senders/sensors you can use, so just wire to a gauge

But even so, putting a fitting on the schrader valve with 30psi pressure is a dicey option if it should spray fuel out on a hot engine

I would look at installing a pressure sender at the fuel filter location, while it could still leak its away from exhaust and less likely to end badly

Later model Rangers, 1998 and up, used a 3 port fuel filter, not sure if they used the same fuel line connections but I think they did, that would give you an open port to install a pressure sender

Maybe hit a wrecking yard and pull off a Ranger 3 port filter, cut fuel lines so the connectors are still on it so you can compare them to yours and maybe use one for the sender

If it all works use a NEW filter, of course, lol, so remember the year of the ranger it came off of

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Could I ask why? It's just not something that needs to be monitored unless there's an issue.

Most gauges are there for systems that could cause damage to the engine (oil pressure, engine temp, oil level, oil temp, etc) low fuel pressure can't really harm an engine, just make it run terrible or not at all.

And I may be wrong here but if you run the sensor anywhere before the pressure dampner the guage would just bounce around erratically anyway, making it fairly useless. Which is why the Schrader valve is on the rail after the dampner.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Could I ask why? It's just not something that needs to be monitored unless there's an issue?

Most gauges are there for systems that could cause damage to the engine (oil pressure, engine temp, oil level, oil temp, etc) low fuel pressure can't really harm an engine, just make it run terrible or not at all.
I'm troubleshooting a powerloss issue that happens randomly, filter and pump are less than 2k miles old, injectors where serviced along with the pump and filter change. The issue shows for just a couple of seconds and then goes away, not a big deal, just want to know if it s fuel delivery related, and also, I,m a control freak when it comes to gauges, so that adds up to the necessity. ;)

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I can't see why an electric oil pressure guage wouldn't work (they run in a similar psi range). You'd just have to be creative and find a way to hook the electric sender somewhere.

Your issue doesn sound fuel related though (at least not the pump) pumps tend to just die...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Heck they require tire pressure sensors on all vehicles after 2006, I think most people can tell when they have or are getting a flat tire

And if you have a blow out at speed a monitor light coming on at that time REALLY does not help, lol

Yes, a PS60 oil pressure sender might work, but I think a 2 wire sensor might be better because it doesn't need a ground like a sender does, well it has wiring FOR a ground, lol

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes I should have said sensor not sender. I get them mixed up all the time. 2 wire = sensor, 1 wire = sender. Sunpro oil pressure guages come with a SENDER, you'd need to find one with a sensor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals