• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Improving my run time

mywhip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tomorrow i am going to take the asvab test for the Air Force. I scored a 66 on the pre-test today, which i have been told isn't too bad. One thing that has me worried about joining though is the fact that i am not really in shape. In order to pass BT i have to be able to run a 1.5 mile within 11:57, do 45 push-ups, and 50 sit ups. I am going to start working on the running more than anything, and practice the push-ups and sit ups in between.

I ran/walked/jogged my first 1.5 today, and did it in 00:15:32. I need to try to slim it down by at least 4 minutes, if not way more to benefit myself and stick out from the crowd some. What is the best way to do such?

Ryannn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im Waiting to go active duty for the Army and I just fill a backpack with like 80 lbs you can use less and Just run a very long distance and dont stop and just do it continuously for a couple weeks or a month and then run without it and it will make a big difference!!

mywhip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was reading something about leg weights as well..it seems that will help. I also saw that doing short reps once a week, and then doing long reps will help out. I did .75 miles in about 5 minutes..so i should be able to do it in 10, easily.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was told in high school you should be able to walk a mile in just over 10 minutes, so it sounds to me like you need to slow your running pace down and DO NOT walk, and run EVERY day. you'll pick up speed as you get in shape, once you get confident running a couple miles, push yourself for time. just my .02

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
we did 3 miles/100 push-ups/100 sit-ups/100 j.jacks/100 straddle-hops/100feet of alligator crawl(Fort Polk style).......every day before we ate breakfast...to prepare for the final P.T. Test..... :bawling:

(good thing I didn't join the Marines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Last edited:

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Run and do push ups and situps at least every other day. When you do pushups your arms must break 90 degrees everytime or they won't count. Also you have one minute to complete a MINIMUM of 45 pushups and 1 minute for a MINIMUM of 55 situps.

Run about 2 miles and try keep a steady pace, but one fast enough to push yourself. Never stop running no matter how tired you are. The instant you stop running and walk you fail at your purpose. Do you think you get a chance to walk in basic and catch your breath?

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Running on a beach in the sand is the best you can do for more strength training. Adding weights to your ankles and waist if you can't run in the sand. Running mostly uphill, not downhill is another way to build up your strength. I used to run on the beach 5 miles every day that I was able to when not at sea. I swam 7 miles a day three days a week. I did light weight lifting training (just free weights up to 10 lbs). I did not want big guns, just a bit more lean body weight. The best midsection work out and for my leg strengthening exercise for me was running in just below waist deep water for about 2 miles three days a week. That will build endurance very quickly.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It isn't hard to push yourself with 100 other guys around (are there girls in AF basic training?) and guys in Smokey hats encouraging you. You just need to have a good attitude and you'll get through it. You don't need to pass the physical test before you even get there. I'd be more worried about the ASVAB. You could end up pushing a magnet around the runway instead of doing something cool.

mywhip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It isn't hard to push yourself with 100 other guys around (are there girls in AF basic training?) and guys in Smokey hats encouraging you. You just need to have a good attitude and you'll get through it. You don't need to pass the physical test before you even get there. I'd be more worried about the ASVAB. You could end up pushing a magnet around the runway instead of doing something cool.
I scored a 66/99 on my pre-test for asvab. I looked up the score and talked to some buddies who went through the AF, and this is a pretty decent score for the first time. I took some practice tests when i came home yesterday as well. What i scored there should net me almost any job, short of intel.

And thanks for the advice everyone! I have a path worked out of how much is exactly 1.5 miles, so when i run next ill see if i can beat my time even by a little bit. I was told that if i do the run with some weights on me, and the next time i do it without, i'll be able to run faster/easier..any truth?

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Yes....running with any type of extra weight helps...when you run without the weight it actually feels relaxing.....go figure...

ohhhhhhhh......and one other thing guaranted to make you run a 4:00 minute mile.....when they're shooting at you with AK-47s as your walking away from your downed aircraft...

but that's something you don't learn in Basic Training...

mywhip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just bought me some new running shoes (reebok realflex..feels like im walking on clouds), and i am back to my running routine.

I mapped out a path down from my house, on flat land, that is exactly .3 miles apart. In order for me to get better, the way it sounds at least, i need to do segments repeatedly, with varied running times. I need to try to get my time of this .3 miles to around 2 minutes, which shouldn't be hard at all. The part that kills me though is that i can run half of the .75 miles perfectly fine, but then i get a pain in my lower ribs. I know this is from the lack of physical exercise, so i am just going to practice and practice. Starting today i am doing no more fast food, and will make sure i am running the .3 every other day, for 20 minutes straight.

I think if i jog/run the .3, walk back, and do this repeatedly for 20 minutes i will get better, correct? Thanks again guys, i appreciate all the help!

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i wouldnt walk back, just run back. map out a 2 mile course and run it, that pain in your ribs is where dedication and determination come into play

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals