• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Improving departure angle

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
My 85 BII is going under the knife soon(d35 and 31 spline 8.8, then eventually rebuilt ohv 4.0 and rebuilt a4ld) and I'm wanting to address another issue thats been bugging me before i hit the trails again. Even with about 4" of lift I find myself slamming down on my fuel tank skid plate constantly when i exit an obstacle. The local ohv park has a lot of rocks, logs and hard ground. I dont get hung up too bad until my rear bumper digs into the ground. But i want to protect my tank.

Im thinking about lifting the tank. I would cut my floor out, raise it, and either weld it back in or fab a new rear floor peice that would be removable for easy fuel pump access. Im wondering of anyone has done anything similar or anyone that can bounce ideas my way. Just looking to brainstorm the best way to go about this. Its a designated wheeler so im not afraid to cut into it, take storage space away, or make it louder inside, its already loud. But I'm not looking to hillbilly up the job.

I just want the bottom of the tank to be level with the frame rails at the very lowest.

Jsommers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Put a fuel cell in the back. And remove the original gas tank. Then you dont need to cut it all up

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I moved the rear axle back about 3" on mine.

Once in awhile I still hit the tank skid coming down something, but I've never once had it hang me up.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I dont want a fuel cell, I'm saving up for my wedding in july and want to keep my build cheap. My question is about relocating the stock tank higher.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
It can be done, and somewhat easy. Drop the tank skid plate, and drop the tank. Mark and cut the floor at the four corners inside the tank mounting area by the frame & crossmembers. Cut the floor out. Using a couple jackstands (or similar) to support the tank, adjust the height of the tank where you want it. Modify the tank mounting straps (or fab new ones) to support the rank in its new location. Once the straps are installed and holding the tank up, go up top and make two straps to hold the tank down. Once those are installed, take a measurement of how high the tank protrudes through the floor. Make sides that are about an inch higher than the tank. Then make your top cover plate bolt to the sides you just made. You will have to modify your fuel filler neck as well, just use the same process of covering the filler neck. Your filler neck that your cap screws on to must be higher than the filler neck at the tank. Federal law (and safety reasons) requires all fuel storage and supply lines to be isolated from the passenger compartment. That should just about cover it :icon_thumby:

SVT

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks SVT, thats almost exactly what i was thinking. I know it wont be hard just wanted to make sure i wasnt overlooking anything that might not jive. Im a little curious how the fuel lines will reach the higher tank. Should flex right up there but i haven't looked close enough at the lines to say for sure yet.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
IIRC, the tank is only about 6" below the rails, so you should have that much flex. But plan to extend when you do the mod. I would go to a junkyard and get a set of lines off any rear mounted ford tank. There is a possibility you can get a regular cab f series truck with the dual tank setup that will have the lines long enough where you can disconnect them at the filter and just plug them up to your filter. Either way, I'd pull as much fuel line from the tank forward as you can, this way you have only one splice instead of two (for each line that is). After you mod the tank, it will also give you more room to push the rear axle back a few inches...

SVT

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I'll take some photos of before, during, and after to try to document the job. That is when i get around to it. I have a mazda first in line to fix and flip before i can tear into my toy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals